2003 Dayi Yiwu Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake Sampler

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 15th, '08, 22:21

by t4texas » Oct 15th, '08, 22:21

So how does this cake compare with, say, an Oolong that runs $125 USD per pound? As good, better, worse?

Oct 15th, '08, 23:05

by taitea » Oct 15th, '08, 23:05

$125 per pound is like $14 for 50 grams? Well, that is moot since I don't think I can compare pu with oolongs. They are a completely different ball game to me. I have more experience with oolongs and so I am willing to pay a bit more for them. I think pu is also a bit more of a gamble.

Given that this wet stored cake is close to what an aged sheng should be like, how much age does it take a typical sheng to get to this point? Most of the shengs I have tasted have been under 5 years old and tasted somewhat similar.

Oct 15th, '08, 23:26

by t4texas » Oct 15th, '08, 23:26

taitea wrote:$125 per pound is like $14 for 50 grams? Well, that is moot since I don't think I can compare pu with oolongs. They are a completely different ball game to me. I have more experience with oolongs and so I am willing to pay a bit more for them. I think pu is also a bit more of a gamble.
I think that's sorta my point, but maybe not. Can't compare Pu with Oolongs or Oolongs with Greens or Greens with Blacks...except as to whether I find one more pleasureable and interesting than another.

Oct 16th, '08, 02:01

by wyardley » Oct 16th, '08, 02:01

taitea wrote:Given that this wet stored cake is close to what an aged sheng should be like, how much age does it take a typical sheng to get to this point? Most of the shengs I have tasted have been under 5 years old and tasted somewhat similar.
As far as very dry stored stuff, I think often stuff that's 20-30 years old can still taste pretty "young" and aggressive. I like late 80s - early 90s dry stored 7542, but even that isn't super mellowed out yet. Though everyone's idea of "wet stored" is different, I wouldn't say that a wet stored cake is "close to what an aged sheng should be like" any more than you would say that a shu cake is. With overly wet storage, you do get mellowness and darker tea broth earlier on, but you also get that wet-stored taste (love it or hate it), and you don't have the same complexity as a well aged cake. I'm not saying it's necessarily unpleasant, but it's not the same thing.

The stuff I've had (not much) from the early 70s and before is the stuff that really seems to taste great, especially if it's well stored ("dry storage" didn't exist as a concept until the late 80s, so I'm sure most older cakes have at least some amount of fairly humid storage in their past). But I don't have the money or connections to drink that sort of stuff very often.

Oct 17th, '08, 10:32

by taitea » Oct 17th, '08, 10:32

On the topic of wet vs. dry stored: As far as I know (from another thread), 70-80% humidity is ideal for aging pu. What is the range for the conditions to be considered dry, and what is the range for the conditions to be considered wet?

+ Post Reply