Alergic to Chamomile?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Oct 16th, '08, 03:16

Alergic to Chamomile?

by Vulture » Oct 16th, '08, 03:16

Has anyone herd of allergies for this? I couldn't even get to the drinking stage of this. Between smelling the raw tea and brewing, it made my head all buggy and I couldn't imagine actually drinking it. For some reason it reminded me of the Mustard Weed that grew around my house as a kid.

I am not usually a person that doesn't try things at least once so its odd for me to react that way to a tea...

Oct 16th, '08, 08:29

by chad » Oct 16th, '08, 08:29

One of my co-workers is allergic to chamomile.

Fortunately, I'm not! :D

Oct 16th, '08, 08:38

by Vulture » Oct 16th, '08, 08:38

chad wrote:One of my co-workers is allergic to chamomile.

Fortunately, I'm not! :D
Few, I am relived I am not the only weird one in the world of teas :lol:

Oct 16th, '08, 11:13

by neowolf » Oct 16th, '08, 11:13

If I remember right if you have a traditional ragweed allergy you're going to have a nasty allergy to chammomile. I doubt it can do serious harm but I'm sure ingesting a lot of it would be very unpleasant if so.

Blissfully I can drink it fine. I'd cry otherwise. ;)

Oct 16th, '08, 11:37

by chad » Oct 16th, '08, 11:37

neowolf wrote:If I remember right if you have a traditional ragweed allergy you're going to have a nasty allergy to chammomile. I doubt it can do serious harm but I'm sure ingesting a lot of it would be very unpleasant if so.

Good point!

I suffer often with "seasonal allergies" and Flonaise is my best friend! However, I can drink chamomile and other herbals without getting a negative reaction. I am so blessed with having no known food allergies! :D

Oct 16th, '08, 12:54

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 16th, '08, 12:54

neowolf wrote:If I remember right if you have a traditional ragweed allergy you're going to have a nasty allergy to chammomile. I doubt it can do serious harm but I'm sure ingesting a lot of it would be very unpleasant if so.

Ragweed always comes up as a major allergy for me any time that I have allergy testing done, but I am fine with a cup of chamomile tea every so often. Maybe ingesting tea has different reactions than inhaling pollen or maybe it takes many cups of chamomile tea to set off a reaction. I could just be an abnormal case though.

Oct 17th, '08, 03:46

by Vulture » Oct 17th, '08, 03:46

All I know is that when I smell it brewing or just in general, its like a short circuit in my brain. Or someone just put a close pin on a part of my brain. Either way it is highly annoying and not pleasant experience at all :cry:

On the other hand I <3 rooibos so I am ok with that for now :)

Oct 25th, '08, 19:49

by toastedtoads » Oct 25th, '08, 19:49

I can't come within 3 feet of an open tin/bag of chamomile without sneezing and having the roof of my mouth start itching. However, as long as someone else prepares it, I seem to be able to drink it just fine.

However, I quite despise the taste so it's not a huge problem for me.

+ Post Reply