Friday TeaDay 10/17/08 TC/TCR ANNOUNCEMENT DAY!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Announcement: TeaChat Tastings, Comparisons, and Reviews (TC/TCR) is coming! We hope to have the first teas in participants' hands within a month. Will you participate?

YES YES YES
64%
I think so
22%
I think not
2%
No
7%
Other
5%

Total votes: 55

Oct 16th, '08, 16:55
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday TeaDay 10/17/08 TC/TCR ANNOUNCEMENT DAY!

by Chip » Oct 16th, '08, 16:55

Today is announcement day on TeaChat. I am very excited about this announcement and hope you are too!

Welcome everyone to Friday on TeaDay! Please share what is in your cup today, all day.

Yesterday's voting was pretty mixed, many responders were influenced in their teaware preference when they joined TeaChat, but many were not as well. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.
TC/TCR wrote: Announcement: TeaChat Tastings, Comparisons, and Reviews (TC/TCR) is coming! We hope to have the first teas in participants' hands within a month.

TeaChat keeps getting better and better. TeaChat and our host, Adagio, are partnering a Tea Tasting Program that I think will be the best tasting program anywhere. And the best part, TeaChatters can be very involved. Simply put, this is a tasting and review program that will be for TeaChatters. I think it is an exciting opportunity.

1.) Each month, TeaChatters will be asked to help select teas from the primary types of tea: Black, Oolong, Green, White, and even an occasional Pu-erh. Each month may have tastings from several types, there is no set number currently for each month, but no more than one selection from each type. TeaChatters will have an active voice in which teas are to be Tasted and Reviewed.

2.) It is Tasting, Comparison, AND Review (TCR). So for instance, if Silver Needle is selected, you will also be asked to nominate specific silver needle selections from specific vendors that meet specified criteria, and we will then vote on which will be finalists. Participants for the Silver Needle tasting/comparison/review would receive all the finalists that were selected, up to approximately 5 finalists for each tea. Adagio is leaving virtually all of the choosing to us as long as we remain within certain criteria. The vendors/finalists would be notified in a congratulatory manner regarding their selection as a finalist. Adagio will likely handle procurement and logistics.

3.) The cost to participate is not quite determined, but several factors may reduce or maybe even eliminate a participant's cost. Length of membership and number of legitimate posts will likely be factored in. Also, the goal is to have tasters review the teas, so if a participant is actively reviewing the teas he/she received, that too can reduce or eliminate the individual's cost. Reviews will be posted by participants under TeaCritic. A topic will be created for each month's reviews.

Participants will have to sign up for each tasting as it is officially announced. There will be a limited number available. I am not sure if it will be a strict first come/first served basis, or whether participants who review consistantly will receive preferred placement.

Another bonus from Adagio. In a show of commitment to this program, Adagio has had MANY tasting cup sets manufactured. The tasting sets are white and include a traditional covered brew vessel and a tasting cup, pretty nifty. They are classically styled and perfect for comparing multiple teas fairly. I have wanted several of these sets for some time for when I do comparisons. Adagio will likely make these available to TeaChat member/participants at a reduced cost. They will also likely be for sale on their site.

Again, Adagio has displayed an openness and generosity rarely seen in any business. Kudos to Adagio.

Please get involved! It is a rare opportunity to try around 5 examples of the same type of tea from 5 different vendors and also share the experience with other members.

Chip
Today's discussion topic is about TC/TCR. Please share your input in how we can assure resounding program success! Will you be involved?

Oct 17th, '08, 01:01

by Victoria » Oct 17th, '08, 01:01

That sounds so great!! I'm very excited to join in!
Thanks Adagio, and thanks Chip! That was
definitely worth waiting up for!

I am very much "IN"
Yay!!

Oct 17th, '08, 01:37

by rodstnmn » Oct 17th, '08, 01:37

Yes I would like to be involved. Count me in.
Trying to get to sleep tonight with a Chamomile tisane. A sample from adagio and is it ever good.

Oct 17th, '08, 01:44

2007 Bulang Spring Buds

by Salsero » Oct 17th, '08, 01:44

Wow, what a project. It sounds a bit complicated for my simple brain, but it could be a lot of fun and very educational. In still another way, Adagio has taken the lead in fostering a true culture of tea in the USA.

Oct 17th, '08, 02:11

by chamekke » Oct 17th, '08, 02:11

Very impressive!

Chip, is this open only to U.S. residents, or...?

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 17th, '08, 02:28

by Trioxin » Oct 17th, '08, 02:28

Of course I would be in. Sounds like a blast.

Currently drinking pepsi. But I'll be brewing a pot of Baozhong - Taiwan Wuyi very soon.

Oct 17th, '08, 03:26

by Vulture » Oct 17th, '08, 03:26

This sounds like a Wonderful opportunity for me to try out different tea's. And not only types of teas but different manufacturers as well. Even though I am a new member of the chat, I would still love to try this (well unless the price is super high).

Great timing for me joining this forum :wink:

Edit: Earl Gray Bravo - trying out a few more blacks tonight before I move on to a new type of tea.

Oct 17th, '08, 06:50

by eor1122 » Oct 17th, '08, 06:50

This sound like an extraordinary idea! I love the idea of tasting a variety of teas. It would be an awesome way to experience new tea types and vendors. So far my experiences are limited, probably for fear of the unknown since I'm yet well versed on teas (hmmm therefore being able to provide an unprejudiced view? :idea: )

In my cup this morning a nice chai called 'Night of the Iguana Chai'.
Last edited by eor1122 on Oct 17th, '08, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 17th, '08, 07:20

by Trey Winston » Oct 17th, '08, 07:20

What a great idea. If the program also applies to ninjas overseas, I'm up for it.

Oct 17th, '08, 07:39

by omegapd » Oct 17th, '08, 07:39

Sounds like fun!

No tea for me this morning. I stopped and picked up biscottis for breakfast and coffee is the only thing to dunk them in... :wink:

Oct 17th, '08, 07:52

by eor1122 » Oct 17th, '08, 07:52

omegapd wrote:Sounds like fun!

No tea for me this morning. I stopped and picked up biscottis for breakfast and coffee is the only thing to dunk them in... :wink:

looks like I'll never get a chance to try biscotti :cry:

<--pours more tea in her cup

Kewl I just realized I've hit my one month anniversary! Image

Oct 17th, '08, 08:23

by chad » Oct 17th, '08, 08:23

What an opportunity to expand our knowledge base. I'm new, but definately interested and would love to participate.

Margaret's Hope darjeeling in the cup this morning.

Oct 17th, '08, 08:23

by Shelob » Oct 17th, '08, 08:23

:D WOW!!!
Sounds like quite an endeavor. Adagio most certainly has an open-minded approach pitting her teas against other vendors' teas!

I too am excited like Vulture to be given the opportunity to participate in this 'what appears' to be a ground-breaking venture and to be part of this taste/testing/reviewing of various teas by different vendors.
If the expense is too costly for me - I volunteer to help wherever NEEDED! Can't wait for more of the details.

What a GREAT time to be a TEA LOVER 8)

Oh what are those tea tasting sets you are talking about?

Kudos, I think, to Chip for helping to make this possible for this forum! YEAH 8) 8)

In my cup this am, Jasmine Dragon Pearls

HAVE a FAB TeaDay!!!

Oct 17th, '08, 08:42

by Shelob » Oct 17th, '08, 08:42

eor CONGRATS on your 1 month anniversary, time sure flys by when your having fun! Mine will be coming up at the end of the month!

Sal, lovely and enticing photo, but, what else is new? :) Makes me want to curl up on sofa and drink tea all day, but alas, I have to work to afford all the new teas I want to try and the teaware I think I have to have!!!
Victoria, please post NO MORE PICS of your teaware..I believe my skin color is turning a light shade of green, not only from drinking greens, but green w/envy :twisted:

{Oh, by the way, Oolongs on tap for me next week, going shopping tomorrow to see what I can find!}

Oct 17th, '08, 09:03

by Victoria » Oct 17th, '08, 09:03

Good morning everyone, in my cup this morning Adagio Yunnan Gold.
Appropriate for buzz-buzz that will surely follow today's big
TC/TCR ANNOUNCEMENT DAY!

Happy Friday Everyone!!