Re-brewing leaves?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 19th, '06, 21:50

Re-brewing leaves?

by Cynthia » Feb 19th, '06, 21:50

I am new to the lovely gourmet teas, having been an Earl Grey fan along with Jasimine.

I read a post (can't remember which topic) and someone said she brewed some leaves 5 times. I have been dumping my leaves out after one cup. I would love to get more than one cup/pot out of the leaves. Could someone give me some information?

Do you add additional leaves when you re-brew? I drink mainly teas that are not black; jasimine, herbals, oolongs, rooibus.

My husband and I drink tea on and off most of the day and are trying to avoid the caffeine in black teas.

I went to a Chinese New Year party last night and the hostess ordered the "special Jasimine tea" which I was looking forward to. I was very disappointed that it wasn't nearly as good as my Dragon Pearls. I guess Adagio has me spoiled.
The very act of believing
creates strength of its own.

Feb 19th, '06, 22:40

by garden gal » Feb 19th, '06, 22:40

There are posts that say you have a problem with bacteria if you rebrew but I guess I don't quite understand why when I compare it to other vegies and such cooked in the kitchen. Obviously you wouldn't want to set it out for days but I usually start with a flavor in the am- then add half the amount I did the first time and rebrew or start combining flavors-
ie- cocomint 2tsp/4cups for 1st batch
later- add smidge more cocomint and almost 1tsp chocolate
later add 1tsp rooibos vanilla
The mixing and matching is fun. I've made a couple nasty concoctions but I've found many more wonderful ones.

I had the jasmine pearls and made several batches without adding any- the oolongs are re-steeped as a rule I think. The jasmine display flower I resteeped 5-6 times and my son's girfriend used it 7 times before it fully opened.

I think a lot of it is just personal trial and seeing what you like. I always pitch my leaves at night though and start over the next day.

Feb 19th, '06, 23:10

by himthatwas » Feb 19th, '06, 23:10

With the pearls you'll probably find that you like the second cup even better than the first. Some are like that. I don't usually add anything to mine for the second cup but I do add a minute to the brew. Usually 4 mins for the first pot then 5 for the second. As far as I'm concerned the pearls are great for three cups and good for four.

I absolutely agree that Oolongs are always worth more than a single use and although they will taste different each time often it is a later cup that tastes best.

I do this with Assam black tea as well. The first is alright but the second is the one I'm after.

Best part of this is that if you don't like the second or third cup all you are out is water since you would normally have thrown it away. Every other cup after the first is free. I was a Peets coffee shop and just about cried when they threw out the leaves when I got some Jasmine Pearls a few weeks back.

"I'll put them in my pocket I don't mind!!!"
For tales of the utmost stupidity, the outright thirsty, and the obscenely fickle eccentricities of tea drinkers, transporters, and makers of tea visit:

http://teasire.blogspot.com

Mar 30th, '06, 22:16

by kodama » Mar 30th, '06, 22:16

With many teas (oolongs and heavy greens especially I think), the second steeping is the best. I don't add leaves. For most teas it takes 3-8 steepings before the flavor really drops. The less cut (more whole) the leaves are, the more you can pull (don't bother with most teabags).

Also, almost all of the cafeine (~80%?) comes out in the first 30 secs, so if you want just that, dont rebrew more than once, and if you don't want it, make your first brew only :30, toss it, and brew a few more.

Aug 27th, '07, 19:13

Re: Re-brewing leaves?

by Mocha Wheels » Aug 27th, '07, 19:13

Cynthia wrote:I am new to the lovely gourmet teas, having been an Earl Grey fan along with Jasimine.

I read a post (can't remember which topic) and someone said she brewed some leaves 5 times. I have been dumping my leaves out after one cup. I would love to get more than one cup/pot out of the leaves. Could someone give me some information?

Do you add additional leaves when you re-brew? I drink mainly teas that are not black; jasimine, herbals, oolongs, rooibus.

My husband and I drink tea on and off most of the day and are trying to avoid the caffeine in black teas.

I went to a Chinese New Year party last night and the hostess ordered the "special Jasimine tea" which I was looking forward to. I was very disappointed that it wasn't nearly as good as my Dragon Pearls. I guess Adagio has me spoiled.
reinfusing or resteeping (i think this is what you also mean by rebrewing) means infusing/steeping/brewing (whatever way you wish to call it) again. that's the definition. if you add additional tea before the 2nd tea that's not really rebrewing- that's just adding to the tea. i do; however, suggest if you wish to make more after you've infused all you can out of the tea that you do not take the tea leaves out and start from scratch. just add additional leaves. let me know if that didn't makes sense.

+ Post Reply