Red Clover Tea

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 19th, '06, 19:28

Red Clover Tea

by rabbit » Feb 19th, '06, 19:28

When I was a little kid I used to pluck the individual clover petels and suck the very tiny amount of sugar off the tips of each one... and I was thinking this would make a unique tea... so I looked it up and it's called Red Clover Tea, but I want to mix it with a green tea (haven't done it yet, being as it's winter and there are no clovers), i'd probably mix it with gunpowder green, but I've never done that before so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to dry the petels or what, and how should I dry them, the oven?
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Feb 19th, '06, 22:28

by garden gal » Feb 19th, '06, 22:28

I would just put them out in the sun in the summer. Basically the same way you make hay is the way the alfalfa teas around us are made as are the peppermint teas. Clover takes a little longer to dry down so make sure it is dry so it doesn't mold. I used a dehydrator a couple of times but I liked the sun better if the weather cooperated as it seemed to retain the flavor better for some reason.
The gunpowder may be a little strong for clover but maybe not.

Feb 20th, '06, 12:35

by rabbit » Feb 20th, '06, 12:35

well then what would you suggest as a lighter tea to use?

Feb 20th, '06, 14:26

by garden gal » Feb 20th, '06, 14:26

I would think sencha overture, kukicha, or even gyokuro might be really good choices. Or if you are into chocomint the clover would be great with that I would think- make it just a little sweeter. I would try it with the gunpowder just to see- I love mixing and matching teas. If it's not great with the gunpowder by itself, I bet adding the peppermint and clover would be good- a sweet morrocan mint. You have a really good idea though with the clover. I never thought of that before, now I can't wait for spring to come. The first spring clover and last after the first frost would be the best I would think (at least that's what the animals say).

Feb 20th, '06, 14:39

by Warden Andy » Feb 20th, '06, 14:39

How dare you even think of tainting the arleady sweet taste of green tea! Just kidding. I have never tried clover, but I don't green tea wouldn't come out that great with anything added to make it sweeter. You should probably try it in black tea to see if you like it like that more than adding sugar.

Feb 20th, '06, 15:34

by garden gal » Feb 20th, '06, 15:34

Is it really that much sweeter though? I've never had red clover tea before. I would think the whites and the oolongs would be too sweet already but I don't see cocomint or citron (bet that would be good with clover) as being exceptionally sweet. I think rabbit has a great idea.

Feb 20th, '06, 15:52

by rabbit » Feb 20th, '06, 15:52

andy don't be a dork :P you get like MAYBE one granual of sugar per petel, MAYBE, lol, I really don't think it woul make the tea THAT sweet.

+ Post Reply