Intriguing Yixing pot


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Intriguing Yixing pot

Postby eanglin » Oct 20th, '08, 19:07

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0300768468

Thought you Yixing aficionados might want to take a look at this.

(I am not connected in any way with this auction.)
User avatar
eanglin
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Feb 18th, '

Postby shogun89 » Oct 20th, '08, 20:59

Not liking the look of that one, one bit! Sorry if you like it, which of course is all that matters. :roll:
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby eanglin » Oct 20th, '08, 21:40

Not into the enameled design, but it does look like it might be a pretty old pot.
Thought someone here might know.
User avatar
eanglin
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Feb 18th, '

Postby Cinnabar Red » Oct 20th, '08, 21:45

I saw that pot earlier today. I was also wondering about it.
User avatar
Cinnabar Red
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Oct 13th, '
Location: Florida

Postby heavydoom » Oct 20th, '08, 21:47

the seller is a joke. he or she can't even take a photo in focus? the so called stamp looks like a child drew it with crayon. why bother? totally laughable.
User avatar
heavydoom
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Jun 1st, '0
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

Postby gingkoseto » Oct 20th, '08, 21:57

heavydoom wrote:the seller is a joke. he or she can't even take a photo in focus? the so called stamp looks like a child drew it with crayon. why bother? totally laughable.


I was thinking about the same thing - why do they put on meaningless repetitive pictures as if ebay doesn't charge money for them :P But I've seen some other even more blurred pictures than this on ebay :P
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Postby shogun89 » Oct 20th, '08, 22:05

heavydoom wrote:the seller is a joke. he or she can't even take a photo in focus? the so called stamp looks like a child drew it with crayon. why bother? totally laughable.


agreed, That right there is enough to make me not even consider buying it.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby gingkoseto » Oct 21st, '08, 12:56

kyleshen wrote:
heavydoom wrote:the seller is a joke. he or she can't even take a photo in focus? the so called stamp looks like a child drew it with crayon. why bother? totally laughable.

Not all seller is capable of taking good photo. However, this doesn't mean he/she has bad stuff. This is an old teapot before 50's if you must know.


Interesting! I don't like this pot, but it's always good to know more. Can you tell more about the chop on the bottom of the pot? It looks very odd (or was photographed to look odd?)
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Postby Vulture » Oct 21st, '08, 13:49

gingko wrote:Interesting! I don't like this pot, but it's always good to know more. Can you tell more about the chop on the bottom of the pot? It looks very odd (or was photographed to look odd?)


It looks like the person had a hard time photographing the mark. I am guessing from the look of it that they traced it with a marker (hopefully not on the pot itself) to get a better picture.
User avatar
Vulture
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Oct 14th, '
Location: Cinnamon King of San Diego, Ca

Postby eanglin » Oct 21st, '08, 14:44

Its *very* hard to get good pictures of tea things without a very good camera and I think that is exactly what they did.

Personally I don't write off auctions because of bad pictures- tho I am glad many of you do! The auctions with bad pictures and descriptions of really good things are my favorites- the casual browsers overlook the best stuff and there is less bidding competition.

I posted the auction here because I know there are people who value the old teapots and this set off my *old and possibly good* buzzers despite the fact that it'sa bit too floral for my taste.


On some forums I belong to there is a thread for 'Nifty Ebay stuff' where people can post links to neat stuff they spot on Ebay that they think somebody on the forums might enjoy looking at, discussing or perhaps bidding on.

Would people here be interested in a weekly thread for discussion?
I love stalking Ebay, though I seldom actually bid- its a little like watching 'Antiques Roadshow' I guess.
User avatar
eanglin
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Feb 18th, '

Postby shogun89 » Oct 21st, '08, 15:35

I can agree with what some of you are saying how some people cant take good pictures and how it dosent mean they have bad products. . . . . but when I can draw a better picture of a tea pot than someone can take a picture of one. . . . well. . . I just dont know about them as a seller. :roll:
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby eanglin » Oct 21st, '08, 16:36

Well, I assume it means they aren't a *professional* seller.
I enjoyed Ebay more when it was truly 'Americas garage sale'. I like finding something I, or a friend, is looking at a reasonable price It that item is being sold by a person who is unloading stuff in preparation for a move, trying to raise rent money, or just cleaning out the attic I'm not going to expect them to have or somehow borrow an expensive digital camera.
If they have good stuff and are willing to help me determine that their stuff is, indeed what I want, I've been happy to bid it up to whatever it is worth to me.

Sadly, Ebay is becoming a site geared toward professionals and finding bargains is becoming very, very difficult. Sellers have to pay for expensive cameras, high listing fees and Paypal somehow, and the casual seller who just wants to sell off a few collectibles seems to be getting pushed out.
User avatar
eanglin
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Feb 18th, '

Postby shogun89 » Oct 21st, '08, 16:47

eanglin wrote:Well, I assume it means they aren't a *professional* seller.
I enjoyed Ebay more when it was truly 'Americas garage sale'. I like finding something I, or a friend, is looking at a reasonable price It that item is being sold by a person who is unloading stuff in preparation for a move, trying to raise rent money, or just cleaning out the attic I'm not going to expect them to have or somehow borrow an expensive digital camera.
If they have good stuff and are willing to help me determine that their stuff is, indeed what I want, I've been happy to bid it up to whatever it is worth to me.

Sadly, Ebay is becoming a site geared toward professionals and finding bargains is becoming very, very difficult. Sellers have to pay for expensive cameras, high listing fees and Paypal somehow, and the casual seller who just wants to sell off a few collectibles seems to be getting pushed out.


Well thought out, and very true indeed. I just consider it a high risk purchase, You may win or you may get screwed, who knows?
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby gingkoseto » Oct 21st, '08, 22:14

Another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320310790324

How can you tell this is nice? I was watching on it and soon the price grew out of my range (bigger than what I want anyway). It doesn't look like a fake yixing (there are many on ebay), and actually looks pretty decent. but from the pictures showed, how can people tell this is worth more than $30?
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation