Tea info repository -- wiki-like

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Tea info repository -- wiki-like

Postby Drax » Oct 21st, '08, 20:29

So, this idea did came up about a month ago (viewtopic.php?t=3021), and got generally positive feedback, but I think it partly got lost down in the "Misc" section of the forum.

I'm re-breaching the topic here, because I also think Adagio might consider establishing this idea as another part of their services (I.e TeaChat, TeaChef... TeaWiki... or whatever).

Although the basic idea is to have a wiki focused on tea, what I'd actually like to see would take the information a step further -- such that pages for types of tea would talk about its origin and how it's harvested, but also have information such as:

1. Recommended preparation temps/times, # of infusions, etc.
2. Reviews from people

Right now, all of this information sort of exists on TeaChat, but it's really spread around the place. Additionally, people are often asking for recommendations on preparations... this would provide a ready source.

The search engine is only moderately useful as it stands. You can search for something like "dragonwell" but the results are so overwhelming, mostly because so many topics will appear from the TeaDay posts, where somebody is drinking (or mentions) the tea you searched for... but no additional useful information. You may eventually find what you're looking for, but you'll spend a lot of time looking for it. The wiki things would help put all the information in one place, organized by tea 'family' or whatever term you want to use. You also avoid the problem of searching for "dragonwell" but missing the post that talks about it saying "long jing" or "lung chang" or any other variations in phonetics.

Best yet, the users of TeaChat and customers of Adagio provide the content.

If there's any concern about vandalism or intentional misinformation, wikis can easily be set up to only be accessible from established users.

And should disagreements arise (for example on water temperature), the wiki format is flexible enough to allow for multiple viewpoints and letting the reader decide what advice to follow. I think most of us would understand that recommendations and reviews are highly based on opinion anyway (and even the quality of the tea).

So... I've rambled on long enough. Thoughts?
Drax

Postby Space Samurai » Oct 21st, '08, 20:47

Space Samurai

Postby Drax » Oct 21st, '08, 20:57

Oho! Well nevermind then... much better than the others.

(But still needs more input... hint hint to folks reading this! :D )
Drax

Postby Salsero » Oct 21st, '08, 21:32

Drax wrote: (But still needs more input... hint hint to folks reading this! )
Anyone can sign up and go in to add material to this Wiki which is the brainchild of Brandon here on TeaChat.
Salsero

Postby geeber1 » Oct 21st, '08, 21:59

Salsero, that's an excellent idea. I, for one, would find it very useful.
geeber1

Postby Wesli » Oct 21st, '08, 22:47

Space Samurai wrote:WikiCha

w00t
Wesli

Postby scruffmcgruff » Oct 21st, '08, 23:44

Wesli wrote:
Space Samurai wrote:WikiCha

w00t

beep beep
scruffmcgruff

Postby Chip » Oct 22nd, '08, 01:30

Hail WikiCha! As Sal mentioned, this is Brandon's brainchild and it is not tied to Adagio. But I am certain many contributors are members of TeaChat.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Salsero » Oct 22nd, '08, 01:42

Chip wrote: But I am certain many contributors are members of TeaChat.
I think it is 100% TeaChat marauders.
Salsero

Postby Sydney » Oct 22nd, '08, 08:02

Wikicha could certainly use more contributors.

Even if you don't think you're a subject matter expert, you might be able to contribute your personal method for brewing the perfect cup of [your tea here].

Think about it.
Sydney

Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Instant Messenger

Permissions