Oct 21st, '08, 22:18
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 21st, '08, 22:18

Vulture wrote:
gingko wrote:Interesting! I don't like this pot, but it's always good to know more. Can you tell more about the chop on the bottom of the pot? It looks very odd (or was photographed to look odd?)
It looks like the person had a hard time photographing the mark. I am guessing from the look of it that they traced it with a marker (hopefully not on the pot itself) to get a better picture.
Even being blurred, the chop mark doesn't look very decent and I wonder if photography can distort a chop that much. Or does the seemingly weird chop have some specific meaning to serve as evidence of the pot's value?
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 21st, '08, 23:37

by eanglin » Oct 21st, '08, 23:37

I was watching that one to see where it would go.
I thought it might possibly be a better pot because the seller has had it since the 90's so its a bit older, and if you look at the bottom it has inscriptions scratched into it between the legs- you don't usually see anything but the chop on low end mass produced pots.

I *have* seen pots with inscriptions on the bottom at Chinese teapot gallery for less than $30 tho, so I don't know that it means its a good pot, just that its probably not bottom of the barrel mass produced. Mid-range maybe?

Oct 22nd, '08, 10:16

by Vulture » Oct 22nd, '08, 10:16

eanglin wrote:Its *very* hard to get good pictures of tea things without a very good camera and I think that is exactly what they did.
Yah sorry I have some graphic design and photography in my background so I easily forget how hard things can be to photograph :?

Oct 22nd, '08, 10:21
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 22nd, '08, 10:21

Thanks for responses kyleshen and eanglin. It's nice to hear what other people think. Like for ebay buying, I guess I am too conservative in spending :P I want to see >3 big pictures for anything more than $15.

I liked it that the seller said it was from 90s - it doesn't sound like faking because no one would fake 90s. And seller seems quite nice.

I frequently used ebay about 5 years ago and then just returned to ebay in recent months. There are definitely a lot more professional dealers - that's not a big problem for me. Actually a pot is on its way from a ebay dealer - finger crossed that it would be good :P

What amazed me is ebay now is so filled with fake stuff, from claimed red clay yixing (I know little about yixing, just could tell from seller's set-up and history) and claimed "song dynasty" vases (there are so many of them!). I was really amazed by all these. Or probably ebay has been in this way all the time and I was just too blind to see. :wink:

Oct 22nd, '08, 10:23
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 22nd, '08, 10:23

Vulture wrote:
eanglin wrote:Its *very* hard to get good pictures of tea things without a very good camera and I think that is exactly what they did.
Yah sorry I have some graphic design and photography in my background so I easily forget how hard things can be to photograph :?
I can understand. My husband has photography background and he often give "harsh" comments to poor pictures - it's like a sand in the eye :wink:

Oct 22nd, '08, 10:30

by xuancheng » Oct 22nd, '08, 10:30

One of the problems with lots of the pictures is the method sellers use to reduce the size of the pictures. Sometimes if you have a bad reduction ratio it will turn out awful. Sometimes people use automatic reduction tools that don't work as well as photoshop.

The design is nothing special, I have seen lots of pots with this sort of bamboo motif. It is an attractive pot, though. I do like bamboo. I want to get a pot with no black colouring in the design, so I can make it dark myself by cultivating the pot.

a 20 oz pot is really big! that's almost a quart

Oct 22nd, '08, 14:57

by heavydoom » Oct 22nd, '08, 14:57

apologies for being so judgemental. however, who can blame me for being suspicious? i have never ever seen such atrocious photos for an item that someone wants to sell on an auction site. at least take some nice looking pictures that are at least in focus, never mind the proper lighting. i strongly believe in the cliche : a picture says a thousand words or more...

Oct 22nd, '08, 15:07

by chrl42 » Oct 22nd, '08, 15:07

I was just wondering, where is Yixing, Japan located? :roll:

+ Post Reply