My journey into green teas...

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 22nd, '06, 10:41

My journey into green teas...

by Skycast » Feb 22nd, '06, 10:41

For those of you that haven't seen my post in the "Other" forum, me and my wife are new converts to loose leaf tea and have purchased a bunch of different samplers. We are trying at least one new tea a day and rating them from 1 to 5 (5 being the best).

In this thread I will talk about the green teas we have tried so far.

Sencha Overture - While this isn't a favorite green tea we both enjoyed its flavor and nuances. It had a nice "earthy" quality and was a relaxing drink.
Rating: 3.5

Liz Zi Nutracker - I thought this was fairly typical of the handful of greens I've tried already. While it was okay, it didn't really stand out from the others. My wife didn't like it at all give it a whopping 1.
Rating: 3.5

Hojicha - Anyone that's seen my thread in "Other" will know that so far, this is my favorite hands down. I love the earthy and slightly smoky quality this has.
Rating: 5
Skycast

Feb 24th, '06, 19:41

by Skycast » Feb 24th, '06, 19:41

Wow, no responses here...aren't there any other green tea addicts out there? So far, I'm really enjoying the greens. I've had the Green Pekoe and Spiced Green since my last posting and both were enjoyable. I like the Green Pekoe more than the Spiced.

I'll post further thoughts later.
Skycast

Feb 24th, '06, 20:58

by Guest » Feb 24th, '06, 20:58

I'm currently hooked on Tai Ping Hou Kui (Tai Ping Monkey King). So fragrant with an everlasting aftertaste.

I like the Long Jing (Dragon Well) that I got recently, although I'm hunting for a better one, such as Xihu Yu Chien Long Jing (Before Rain).

I want to try a good Biluo Chun (green spring snail). Any recco on how to choose a good one?

Feb 24th, '06, 21:00

by Phyll » Feb 24th, '06, 21:00

Oops, I forgot to login. That was my posting right above.

Feb 25th, '06, 00:19

by TeaFanatic » Feb 25th, '06, 00:19

I am starting to think that I am the only person that doesn't like hojicha at all. To me, the smell and taste are just completely overbearing, but I guess to those who drink black tea, hojicha would be a good green to drink.

As far as the sencha overture goes, I think sencha is good but I do not like the summer flush (overture) as much as the spring flush (sencha premier). I find that the overture has to much dust which causes the tea to get bitter quickly if not careful.

My other favorite greens, I would classify as such:

Vegetal: Sencha Premier, Gyokuro, Green Anji
Nutty: Dragonwell
Light/mellow: Pi Lo Chun, White Monkey
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 25th, '06, 09:50

by mijako10 » Feb 25th, '06, 09:50

I thought the hojicha just tasted like smoky water.... maybe I'll have to brew it longer seeing as I have quite a bit more from my sample.
~If you can shape it in your mind you will find it in your life~

My fortune cookie fell in my tea! *sob*

Feb 25th, '06, 10:22

by Guest » Feb 25th, '06, 10:22

I love genmai cha and cocomint the best. I know, lowly commoner tastes. I haven't tried a couple yet though but I think I have gotten every sampler pack Adagio has. I don't know that I care for the smokier teas by themselves. I added jasmine 12 to the one and peppermint to the gunpowder.

Feb 25th, '06, 10:24

by garden gal » Feb 25th, '06, 10:24

sorry for the guest post- for some reason it didn't automatically log me in that time when I came onto chat

+ Post Reply