My journey into white teas...

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Feb 22nd, '06, 10:35

My journey into white teas...

by Skycast » Feb 22nd, '06, 10:35

For those of you that haven't seen my post in the "Other" forum, me and my wife are new converts to loose leaf tea and have purchased a bunch of different samplers. We are trying at least one new tea a day and rating them from 1 to 5 (5 being the best).

In this thread I will talk about the white teas we have tried so far.

White Peach - This is the only white we have tried to date. While it smelled heavenly, the taste really didn't turn either of us on and we thought it was only so-so. It didn't really have either a catchy tea or peach flavor to make it stand out.
Rating: 2
Skycast

Feb 22nd, '06, 16:07

by teaspoon » Feb 22nd, '06, 16:07

I haven't tried the White Peach, but I will say that in general white teas are delicate and don't tend to have a very strong tea-ish flavor. I've found them to be a bit more forgiving, though, so maybe it would help if you brew it stronger? Or you just may not end up being a white tea fan.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Feb 22nd, '06, 17:48

by garden gal » Feb 22nd, '06, 17:48

Try the white peach cold. I would give it about a 2-3 also warm but cold- it was delicious. I found, after a lot of trial and error, that I don't really like fruit teas warm. I made a whole batch of the white peach, barely drank 1 cup- put the rest in a mason jar on the back porch to save for a friend coming the next day. I didn't like it but whites are so expensive that I couldn't just pitch it either. Anyway, it got really cold that night and when my friend came she had to taste it right away and pronounced it "light, sweet, and refreshing". So I tried it- she was right. I ordered all the white flavors- bet they would make could smoothies in the summer too.

Feb 23rd, '06, 00:50

by mijako10 » Feb 23rd, '06, 00:50

Personally I loved the White Peach. I had peach white tea from teavana but the tea from adagio is so much fresher and lighter which I like.

I also agree that the flavors do become stronger when the tea cools so try that!
~If you can shape it in your mind you will find it in your life~

My fortune cookie fell in my tea! *sob*

Feb 24th, '06, 19:40

by Skycast » Feb 24th, '06, 19:40

Perhaps they are a tad delicate for my palette, I'm not sure yet. I did have a blend of White Tangerine and Blood Orange herbal today that was nice. Of course I think that was the Blood Orange coming through for me and note the white.

I'll finish out what I have with an open mind, but I think whites just may not be my thing.
Skycast

Feb 24th, '06, 21:45

by rhpot1991 » Feb 24th, '06, 21:45

Don't give up on the whites till you have tried silver needles.

-John

Feb 24th, '06, 22:20

by Skycast » Feb 24th, '06, 22:20

I won't give up yet as I've heard good things about silver needle; guess I need to get the non-flavors sample. Right now I'm drinking a white blueberry that I brewed double strength; 3 teaspoons for a 1.5 cup serving and it's not too bad. It doesn't jump out at me, but it's okay...here's my take:

White Blueberry
It has a good aroma and flavor when brewed to double-strength. As a fan of (so far) stronger teas this is only so-so to my palette. While I won't turn it away, I doubt I'll reorder it.
Rating: 2.5
Skycast

Mar 3rd, '06, 04:01

by rox » Mar 3rd, '06, 04:01

Nice article I found on this website.. thanks for the info. hydroderm womens shoes ink cartridges area rugs shoes

+ Post Reply