Twinings...

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 15th, '08, 21:42

by JM » Oct 15th, '08, 21:42

What's the Lapsang from Twinings like?

Oct 20th, '08, 12:08

Twinings Lapsang and Oolong

by treazure » Oct 20th, '08, 12:08

It was surprisingly good. Not quite the bliss in a cup as is loose tea, but not as bad as it could have been. Living in the deep South, I haven't been able to find many teas other than black tea for iced tea and some boxes of truly ancient Celestial Seasonings that came over on the ark. :|

Friday night I found Twinings Lapsong and Twinings Oolong at Winn Dixie and snagged them since my tea orders aren't in yet and my tea addiction must be stroked. Since we have an ok-ish Chinese restaurant nearby that serves only iced tea but will provide me with hot water for my own tea, I'll be bringing both of these with me the next time we go there for foodness.

Worth getting if you need a more portable tea than loose leaf.

Oct 20th, '08, 19:25

by JM » Oct 20th, '08, 19:25

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Oct 24th, '08, 07:32

by Ashiro » Oct 24th, '08, 07:32

Yorkshire Tea (aka: Taylors of Harrogate) is by far my favourite bagged tea.

Oct 24th, '08, 07:46

Re: Twinings...

by Vulture » Oct 24th, '08, 07:46

omegapd wrote: So, anybody else? Do you like Twinings offerings or hate them?

Just curious,

EW
Late reply but my first Earl Gray was a teabag from Twinnings, I still like the flavor and mooch them from my friends house once in a while.

Oct 28th, '08, 03:03

Re: Twinings...

by Rakuras » Oct 28th, '08, 03:03

Vulture wrote:
omegapd wrote: So, anybody else? Do you like Twinings offerings or hate them?

Just curious,

EW
Late reply but my first Earl Gray was a teabag from Twinnings, I still like the flavor and mooch them from my friends house once in a while.
So that's why I'm missing three bags, eh? Thief. Either way, I've had the Earl Grey in the house for at least three years and it has been standardly replaced since I found I had something called money. It's a decent blend that is easy to find and tastes on par with the better, costlier Grey's I've had the pleasure of trying through varying breakfast clubs around my area- though there are only three who carry their own version, sadly. Of the Earl Grey Bravo fro Adagio I need to do some more sampling as the Bravo was a touch bland compared to the richer, earthier flavors in the Twinnings version. So far the Bravo shan't be replacing the Twinning for the time being. As it's likely been said, Twinning does decent bagged tea and it is certainly something to try if you'd like a somewhat easier to find alternative or when you are outside of your normal tea haunts (i.e. on travel) but would like to enjoy a decent black brew. Now to resuming some form of noobishness.

Oct 28th, '08, 19:51

by Lord Brown » Oct 28th, '08, 19:51

I give a great deal of respect to Twinings; the first box of tea bags I ever bought for myself at the ripe old age of 12 was one of their sampler packs. The Prince of Wales blend continues to be one of my favorites, with an honorable mention going to Lady Grey. They make a respectable product as far as tea bags are concerned; I've certainly had worse tasting loose teas at three times the cost.

Oct 28th, '08, 21:55

by Riene » Oct 28th, '08, 21:55

I've just discovered the Lady Grey. While not a fan of bergamont, if I make the Lady Grey at about half the strength I would normally brew my black tea, it's quite enjoyable.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Oct 29th, '08, 06:13

Twinings

by treazure » Oct 29th, '08, 06:13

I went to the Twinings USA site to order my beloved Irish Breakfast tea and found it loose, plus many more Twinings teas like blackcurrant (YUMMMY), Prince of Wales and 1706.

I wasn't familiar with the 1706 so Googled it. Did you know that Twinings has been a tea dealer for 300 years? The 1706 was blended to honor the occasion and they still have it on the Twinings site. I ordered some last night, so will tell all of you how it is, providing I can get my nose out of the teacup long enough.

Twinings may not have the snob appeal that some other teas may have, but it is still pretty darn good tea.

Jeanne, off to make a second pot of Irish Breakfast. (BTW, Adagio is out of Irish Breakfast but will e-mail you when it is in.)
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 8th, '08, 02:40

by mr. tea » Nov 8th, '08, 02:40

i love the twinings variety packs, which contain 3 different types of black tea in them. black tea is probably my most consumed type of tea, and twinings is always a safe bet as far as bagged goes.

Nov 14th, '08, 20:44

Lady Over Earl

by paisleymonsoon » Nov 14th, '08, 20:44

I have to admit to buying the Twinings sampler pack just so I can have Lady Grey for breakfast because it's rare that I see Lady Grey alone in a store. I really like the subtlety of Lady Grey better than Earl Grey.

Nov 15th, '08, 09:16

Lady Earl Gray

by treazure » Nov 15th, '08, 09:16

You can buy Twinings teas in bag or loose form online at the TwiningsUSA site. I buy my loose Irish Breakfast Blend and others from them and have always been pleased with their service. If they are out of something, the website won't load it into your cart, which I like. The prices are good, actually less than I'd pay in the local grocery stores, and the product is considerably fresher than that in the grocery stores.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 15th, '08, 20:12

by paisleymonsoon » Nov 15th, '08, 20:12

I just tried Twinings Prince of Wales for the first time today (after reading about it on this thread). Does anyone else think it has a back taste of water treated with chlorine? I know it's not my water since I use filtered water. I'm not really impressed with it.

I can't help but wonder if it would taste good made into a chai tea. Has anyone tried it? If it's good as chai, I'll post my recipe here. :)

Nov 15th, '08, 21:46

by t4texas » Nov 15th, '08, 21:46

Did someone post that some Twinnings teas sent to the US are of an inferior quality compared to that sold in the UK? I heard this somewhere, and don't want to spread rumors, but may consider ordering from the UK if that's the case.

Nov 17th, '08, 15:22

by chad » Nov 17th, '08, 15:22

I tend to drink most of my Twining's on Saturday mornings. Often a cup or two of Irish Breakfast starts the day. I am able to buy 100g tins locally.

I finally tried the Lady Grey Saturday afternoon and really enjoyed it. My wife, who likes tea but has not been brought over to the dark side, enjoyed her cup of Lady Grey, too. I can get boxes of Lady Grey bags and I believe I've seen tins of Lady Grey in a couple of local stores.

I'll be trying the Prince of Wales and 1706 in the future. I just need to use up some of what I've gotten recently. I'm still in recon/search mode for "favorite". :D

+ Post Reply