Let's talk Nilgiri

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 31st, '08, 22:55

by caligatia » Oct 31st, '08, 22:55

Tried my first of this kind tonight, some Nilgiri Blue from Victoria (thanks again). She recommended a 3min steep, which I tried. I suspect I like my tea a lot stronger than she likes hers. It just wasn't a long enough steep for my completely unsubtle taste buds. :)

I did 5min for a second infusion and I'm liking it, although it's a bit weak. I suspect a 4-5min single infusion is what would be best for me and this tea. So I'll try that later on. Not tonight -- going to bed shortly -- but soon...

Oct 31st, '08, 23:48

by kymidwife » Oct 31st, '08, 23:48

OK, color me "annoyed"... I am still waiting for my nilgiri samples from SpecialTeas. And yet, the Adagio samples I ordered 3 days AFTER I ordered from SpecialTeas are already here today. I wish everyone was so quick with shipping!

So, still no nilgiri for me, but I will be contacting you guys who wanted to swap as soon as they arrive. For now, am trying some Golden Spring from Adagio. Not bad, tastes like chicken... I mean Monkey. :lol:

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 1st, '08, 00:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 1st, '08, 00:02

caligatia wrote:Tried my first of this kind tonight, some Nilgiri Blue from Victoria (thanks again). She recommended a 3min steep, which I tried. I suspect I like my tea a lot stronger than she likes hers. It just wasn't a long enough steep for my completely unsubtle taste buds. :)

I did 5min for a second infusion and I'm liking it, although it's a bit weak. I suspect a 4-5min single infusion is what would be best for me and this tea. So I'll try that later on. Not tonight -- going to bed shortly -- but soon...
Yeah, sorry you probably do like it a little stronger, but I do like it bold, not weak.
I probably use more leaf and less time.

So sorry Sarah, I'll send you out a package soon, so you can come play with us!

Nov 1st, '08, 13:58

by caligatia » Nov 1st, '08, 13:58

Victoria wrote:Yeah, sorry you probably do like it a little stronger, but I do like it bold, not weak.
I probably use more leaf and less time.
I haven't tried using more leaf. I'll have to give that a shot. How much would you suggest?

Right now I'm drinking the Blue with a 4min 15sec steep and it came out slightly overbrewed. It's still good, but maybe I'll use the rest of the sample to do the more leaf thing. (I brew in small amounts, luckily, so there's enough left to try this with.)

Nov 1st, '08, 16:07

by caligatia » Nov 1st, '08, 16:07

Figured it out: tried adding half again as much leaf and brewed for 3min. It's lovely. Thanks for the hint, V!

Nov 2nd, '08, 18:45

by geeber1 » Nov 2nd, '08, 18:45

Today I've been enjoying several steeps of Nilgiri Neela from Tao of Tea, courtesy of the lovely Victoria!

This tea is wonderful. The dry leaves are HUGE and almost fluffy. The tea brews up sort of light gold-ish amber. It's got a fairly bold taste with no bitterness and just a hint of astringency. The Neela has a kind of citrusy aftertaste to it that is really enjoyable. I am on my 4th steep of the day and I think the leaves are finally giving out.

So far, this has been one of my favorite Nilgiri teas. If you are interested in trying a quality Nilgiri, this would be an excellent choice.

Nov 2nd, '08, 21:53

by Victoria » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:53

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! I told you all of my first Nilgiri experiences have been off the charts!!! LOL, I knew it had to end sometime, my new batch from ToT prove that.

Nov 2nd, '08, 21:57

by geeber1 » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:57

Oh no, they weren't so good?

Nov 2nd, '08, 21:59

by Victoria » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:59

Ack! Well I sent you the one that was supposed to be the better of the two and it was a bitter, bitter brew!

I'm scared to try the other one!

Nov 2nd, '08, 22:04

by geeber1 » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:04

Was that the Kali Moti or Tiger Hill? Were those from Stash or Tao of Tea?
Yikes, I'm scared too! :shock:

Nov 2nd, '08, 22:21

by Victoria » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:21

geeber1 wrote:Was that the Kali Moti or Tiger Hill? Were those from Stash or Tao of Tea?
Yikes, I'm scared too! :shock:
You are right, I'm confused. It was the Stash Kala Moti. Nasty stuff.

Sorry ToT. Your Nilgiris are delish!

Nov 2nd, '08, 22:26

by kymidwife » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:26

I am so aggravated! I went to track my SpecialTeas order, and it was not in my order history! I looked and couldn't find an email confirmation, so I guess it never went through. I've been tapping my toe impatiently and it's not even on the way.

I'm puzzled because I even remember selecting my free sample before I submitted the order... if I get this order twice, I will be starting a Nilgiri pass box. :lol:

Hopefully its on its way now... unless there is some bug in their online ordering system. Stay tuned.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 3rd, '08, 08:05

by omegapd » Nov 3rd, '08, 08:05

Sarah,

If there was a mix up, Special Teas will set it right. I like ordering from them...they're slow on answering emails, though.

I'm pretty amazed that this Nilgiri topic has gotten so many replies...
8)

Nov 3rd, '08, 10:22

by geeber1 » Nov 3rd, '08, 10:22

Sarah, I have done that before, not with tea, but with prescriptions. Waited and waited and the drugs didn't arrive ... finally checked with the insurance company and found out I hadn't done the last "click." Computers, gotta love 'em!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your Nilgiris when you finally get them!

Nov 3rd, '08, 10:28

by geeber1 » Nov 3rd, '08, 10:28

Nilgiri Blue from Tao of Tea ... Very Good stuff!

The leaves are in smaller pieces than the Neela, and more brown. (the Neela looks more like green tea than black)

The tea brews up a medium to dark brown. The taste reminds me of Irish Breakfast with a smoother finish and citrusy aftertaste. This might replace my fave IB as my morning favorite!

+ Post Reply