Adagio White Symphony/Bai Mudan/White Peony

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Nov 7th, '08, 17:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Adagio White Symphony/Bai Mudan/White Peony

by Chip » Nov 7th, '08, 17:15

Adagio's new white offering, White Symphony

I was quite pleased with a sample I received last week. It certainly appears to be a higher quality Bai Mudan than their standard offering which I have not had the pleasure of trying. The aroma of the dry leaf is very nice, and in my preheated gaiwan, I closed my eyes as I enjoyed the fragrance. I used 1 gram per ounce water in a glass gaiwan.

The liquor was clear, bright. The aroma was full of fruitiness, sweetness. I detected distinct apple and an exotic spice whose name eludes me. Floral background provided some depth. After 5 steeps, I smelled the leaf and still found it to be very pleasantly aromatic. The liquor was sweet and very pleasing on the palate.

Quite distinct from their Silver Needle which is more sublime, this is an assertive white and very enjoyable.

While I really enjoyed this hot, I am certain this would be amazing cold as well.

Anyone else try it?

Nov 9th, '08, 10:12

by Ti » Nov 9th, '08, 10:12

how much difference is there between this and the regular white peony?

Nov 9th, '08, 13:30

by Chip » Nov 9th, '08, 13:30

I personally do not know since if I ever had it it was just a sample some time ago. The White Symphony has a nice clarity of flavors that lesser grades generally do not, IMHO.

Nov 9th, '08, 16:12

by Victoria » Nov 9th, '08, 16:12

Chip, Thanks for the nice review.

I am having it this afternoon and I too get a lot of sweet and fruity notes.
My first thought was grapes, but your apple suggestion may be closer. I'm not a good tea reviewer, I just know what I like, I find it hard to describe flavors. It is lighter than some White Peony, just it still is full of flavor. It's very good, this would make a nice "First White" to try.

Ha, now I just looked at the Adagio site and they say honeydew. Ya know, I think that is closer to the mark;

"light bodied, yet complex cup with hints of honeydew"

http://www.adagio.com/white/white_symph ... 7d1964835e

Nov 9th, '08, 21:12

by Chip » Nov 9th, '08, 21:12

Hmmm, honeydew? I will have to try again. I generally never read reviews or product descriptions before first tasting if I can help it as it can sway my perceptions of aroma and taste.

But now the cat is out of the bag, I will see if I can detect the honeydew.

It is amazing how everyone can perceive things differently :!:

Nov 9th, '08, 21:20

by Victoria » Nov 9th, '08, 21:20

Chip wrote:Hmmm, honeydew? I will have to try again. I generally never read reviews or product descriptions before first tasting if I can help it as it can sway my perceptions of aroma and taste.

But now the cat is out of the bag, I will see if I can detect the honeydew.

It is amazing how everyone can perceive things differently :!:
Exactly, me either. That's why at the last minute I found it on Adagio, I didn't even read yours till after I tasted it.

I found this to be true on my perfume board as well. It is very easy to taste/smell what someone else is suggesting, if you don't try it first yourself.

I found this to be a very different version than the White Peony I own. I actually I think I may prefer the lighter overall feel and the subtle crispness. It has a fresh, clean taste.

Nov 9th, '08, 23:24

by kymidwife » Nov 9th, '08, 23:24

When i tasted the Symphony the first time, I didn't read this description first, and my knee-jerk reaction was... hmmm... this tastes alot like Adagio's White Peony, but better.

In my limited experience with white teas, I had found the White Peony from Adagio to be my favorite, topping Silver Needle in complexity, sweetness, and fruity notes. It's been a while since I tried it, but I recognized the similarity to the new White Symphony immediately. I was pretty happy when I read the Adagio description and learned I was on the mark.

To me, the Symphony had a more pronounced taste, not quite as subdued, a bit more fruity and robust. And I can definitely see the honeydew notes. Anyway, if you like Adagio's White Peony, I think you will really enjoy this one.

Edit: Found my original post about White Symphony from a Teaday post:
I tried ... the White Symphony, which reminds me alittle of the standard Adagio White Peony, perhaps more flavorful. One of the best whites I've had... but Peony has been my favorite of all prior to this. First infusion (gaiwan) was moderately astringent with a light floral aroma. Second infusion was not nearly as astringent, but a bolder flavor with a more fruity undertaste and aroma. The color was stronger than my other whites... a deeper golden, almost light caramel color. The spent leaves are huge with lots of buds, really lovely color and aroma. It's a nice white, especially if whites are usually too mild to your tastebuds.

Sarah

+ Post Reply