Good Bai Mu Dan/Pai Mu Tan/White Peony

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Nov 8th, '08, 00:55

Good Bai Mu Dan/Pai Mu Tan/White Peony

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Nov 8th, '08, 00:55

Hey guys....Salsero suggested that I post some one the white forum since the activity here is a bit lacking. Anyway, I thought I would share my pick for the best Bai Mu Dan of this year so far. One a side note, for those of you that do not know, White Peony, Bai Mu Dan, and Pai Mu Tan all refer to the same type of white tea. I have also seen it referred to as "White Hairy Monkey" as well, but much less often than the others I listed. This tea is composed of the new sprouting leaves as well as the center sprout, known as the needle. This tea is typically picked between March 15th and April 10th and is naturally left to whither to produce leaves of a light green to white silvery color (though in some you may find some reddish or redish/brown leaves) once picked. Some is mechanically whithered but the best ones are naturally whithered. *Onto my pick for a good one!

*In Pursuit of Tea's Bai Mu Dan*
-The leaves and buds were of good quality but the taste was exceptional for the price. One of the things noted by the processor that I particularly noticed before I even read it was the lingering bean sprout character. It starts off very clean and sweet on the palate and finishes with a taste that will remind of if took the freshest white bean sprout and snapped it in half and smelled and tasted it at the same time. It also holds up to several infusions. I personally brewed this one at 150F and used 3.5 gr. in my 4oz gaiwan.

-Nick (TaiPing)

Nov 8th, '08, 03:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 8th, '08, 03:59

Nice! Thanks for all the info and the "best of 2008" pick. Bai Mu Dan is the more robust of the usual suspects, is it not?

Nov 8th, '08, 14:51

by murrius » Nov 8th, '08, 14:51

Thanks for your review and description.

I have an organic Pai Mu Tan that is the first white tea I have purchased. I love everything about it. I love the way it looks, with the mix of browns and greens and white. The flavour is unique and, although I don't drink it every day, I tend to crave the taste once or twice a week. I got it at a tea shop near where I live and they got it in bulk via Germany. One odd feature about it is that it has a very slight smokiness. I know that it is supposed to be dried naturally but maybe this batch had a little "help".

Nov 8th, '08, 19:49

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Nov 8th, '08, 19:49

Salsero--Yes, typically the bai mu dan is bolder, more robust species of white tea, if you could call it that.....this one was just special. It has the delicateness of an excellent silver needle and the beansprout finish in incredibly unique. I really could not compare its robustness to the myriad of other bai mu dans I have tasted, in my personal white tea knowledge opinion, I would classify this tea and give it its own distinct name _________Bai Mu Dan, etc. It was that special.

-Nick (TaiPing)

Nov 8th, '08, 23:25

by taitea » Nov 8th, '08, 23:25

What is the connection between this tea and peony?

Nov 8th, '08, 23:45

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Nov 8th, '08, 23:45

TaiTea--there are two things that I have come across in my experience with this particular white. 1) it is called white peony becuase, first of all, it is a white tea (hence the "white" part of the name--that is the no-brainer haha, and the the peony is becuase it is beleived that since this tea is comprised of the two young leaves and the needles, when they unfurl and open in the cup, they look like the petals of a peony blossom. 2)I have read that some white peony's have a peony scent to them and slight peony flavor. Though I am fairly knowledgable about white teas I do not know what a peony smells like off the top of my head. I have tasted many a white that have a sweet floral note so I personally feel like both of the aforementioned things I listed could be considered reasonable explanations.

-Nick (TaiPing)

+ Post Reply