Pu-erh: origins, dookie, and a poll

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Would you drink a cup of worm dropping pu-erh?

No way!
35%
Maybe just a sip.
38%
If you pay me enough.
12%
Yes! I crave it like nothing else!
15%

Total votes : 60

Postby maxman » Jan 29th, '07, 21:22

If I watched someone drink a cup of it in front of me I might try it.
maxman

poo tea

Postby lebowitz » Jan 29th, '07, 22:17

I bought some of it, still have it in the cupboard. It's not too bad, very strong if you brew it like a normal tea, use about 1/2 teaspoon a cup. Has a strong minty taste to it. I think I bought it from generation tea.
It was certainly not disgusting.
lebowitz

Postby heatwaves » Mar 9th, '07, 03:52

It's actually not that expensive. Definitely not $1,000 as was previously suggested. One online retailer sells about 2 oz (50 g) of it for $10.
http://www.grandtea.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=240

Since it is moth larvae that eats the tea, doesn't this make it more of a caterpillar than a worm, or are we just talking semantics?
heatwaves

Postby MarshalN » Mar 10th, '07, 18:40

I've tried this tea. It's really not that bad. The tea is thick, pitch black, but the colour lightens after a few infusions. The taste is quite sweet, very smooth, and strong. Not bad at all, in fact, and you wouldn't think you're drinking any sort of poo if I didn't tell you.

You can read about it a bit more on my blog

http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN/573888338 ... shops.html
MarshalN

Re: Pu-erh: origins, dookie, and a poll

Postby streetspirit » Apr 18th, '07, 05:52

This reminds me of bird's nest soup which my mother used to make me drink. I learned later that they are made of gelatinous bird saliva!
streetspirit

Postby jogrebe » Apr 18th, '07, 14:52

heatwaves wrote:It's actually not that expensive. Definitely not $1,000 as was previously suggested. One online retailer sells about 2 oz (50 g) of it for $10.
http://www.grandtea.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=240

Since it is moth larvae that eats the tea, doesn't this make it more of a caterpillar than a worm, or are we just talking semantics?

Why did you have to post that link? Now I no longer have the way too much to spend on tea excuse as a reason not to try it.
jogrebe

Postby zipp » Aug 9th, '07, 12:14

Could you really call this tea? are there any tea leaves in the poo?
zipp

Worm dropping Puerh, AKA Chong Cha

Postby WhiteTeaWizard » Nov 11th, '08, 13:43

Here's a link to a site where you can buy pu-erh worm tea (Chong Cha).

http://www.grandtea.com/Chong-Cha-Worm- ... p-240.html
WhiteTeaWizard

Postby hop_goblin » Nov 11th, '08, 14:05

EvenOdd wrote:I can believe it. There's real expensive coffee beans that goats eat and leave behind. Can't recall the name.

Not goats, they are a type of varmint, the Asian Palm Civet. The coffee is called kopi luwak. Last time I checked it was going for 300-600USD lbs. I have had some.. I don't know what makes this coffee any different other than a more mellow and less acidic tone. I wonder if you could get the same effect from soaking the beans in a weak solution of Hydrochloric acid.
hop_goblin

Postby edkrueger » Nov 11th, '08, 17:52

hop_goblin wrote:
EvenOdd wrote:I can believe it. There's real expensive coffee beans that goats eat and leave behind. Can't recall the name.

Not goats, they are a type of varmint, the Asian Palm Civet. The coffee is called kopi luwak. Last time I checked it was going for 300-600USD lbs. I have had some.. I don't know what makes this coffee any different other than a more mellow and less acidic tone. I wonder if you could get the same effect from soaking the beans in a weak solution of Hydrochloric acid.

There is nothing to think Luwak Coffee would be any good. The creatures don't differentiate between ripeness of the cherries. I think its a novelty item. The mellowness or acidity have to due with the coffee beans. I'd bet that the Luwak would taste the same [actually worse, because of what said earlier] as other coffee made from the same plants.
Last edited by edkrueger on Nov 11th, '08, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
edkrueger

Postby chad » Nov 11th, '08, 19:36

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

Kopi Luwak (pronounced [ˈkopi ˈluwak]) or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Kape Alamid) and in East Timor (locally called kafé-laku). Vietnam has a similar type of coffee, called weasel coffee, which is made from coffee berries which have been regurgitated by local weasels. In actuality the "weasel" is just the local version of the Asian Palm Civet.

Kopi Luwak is a nice side-bar part of the movie "The Bucket List". :D
chad

Postby Trioxin » Nov 12th, '08, 04:17

Well, I'd try it way before pu-erh brewed with leftover hot dog water.
Trioxin

Postby wyardley » Nov 12th, '08, 04:32

How come the poll doesn't have an option for "I've already tried it"?

(No, not kidding).
wyardley

Postby hop_goblin » Nov 12th, '08, 13:16

As for drinking pu poo.. Why in the heck would I want to be drinking bug crap when there is so much good tea out there.
hop_goblin

Postby kymidwife » Nov 13th, '08, 00:04

Just say NO to scat of any kind, thank you very much.

You "poo" heads are taking the name too far! LOL

Sarah
kymidwife

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions