Dragons Pearl (My 1st oolong ever)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 13th, '08, 12:24

Dragons Pearl (My 1st oolong ever)

by Woots » Nov 13th, '08, 12:24

I am new to the loose tea market and very new to oolong (never had it before now). As i type this I am enjoying a cup of Adagio Jasmine #12 Dragon Pearls.

All I can say is WOW!

The aroma is amazing and flavor is a lot more smooth and mellow then I thought it would be (which is good to me). I was a little stand offish to try this tea with how intense the smell of jasmine was out of the can. Glad I gave this tea a try. Its amazing.

I suppose being a novice I am more attracted to highly aromatic floral teas (as long as they don't completely overwhelm).

Can anyone else recommend some oolong varieties I may like as well? I bought a few varieties I haven't tried yet (received most of this in the mail last night).

Here are the oolongs I bought..... which to try next is the question?
-Ti Kuan Yin
-Wuyi Oolong
-Coconut Pouchong
-Jasmine #12 Dragon Pearls (drinking now)

Are there any other blends/varieties of oolong I should try not listed that you recommend? Thx in advance.

Nov 13th, '08, 13:27

by stanthegoomba » Nov 13th, '08, 13:27

I'd suggest the Ti Kuan Yin next. Adagio's TKY is light and floral, and the taste comes—amazingly—entirely from the tea leaves. The best oolongs are delicious without added jasmine and coconuts, I think. :P

Nov 13th, '08, 14:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 13th, '08, 14:35

Oolongs and flavors do not mix.
+1 Try the TKY.

Nov 13th, '08, 14:38

by Woots » Nov 13th, '08, 14:38

Can I ask a rather amusing question here.

Does oolong produce a more europhoric effect then other teas varieties? I drank some this afternoon while I was working and I had to take a lil 1/2 hour break cause I definitely was buzzed... is this normal? Or did this happen cause I am an oolong novice? Not that I minded the effects... its just I will be careful to drink it in the evening time only if I can expect that every time I drink it. Its only now 2 hours later that I feel "normal" again.
Last edited by Woots on Nov 13th, '08, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 13th, '08, 14:42

by Victoria » Nov 13th, '08, 14:42

Well it makes me happy.
:wink:

Nov 13th, '08, 14:44

by Woots » Nov 13th, '08, 14:44

lol I am going to assume this is a normal side effect then. I have felt euphoric effects from tea before but NEVER at this degree (caught me by surprise).

This is what I get for being a tea novice. I may start saving my rarer blends of tea drinking for the evening times then to be safe.

Nov 13th, '08, 14:58

by edkrueger » Nov 13th, '08, 14:58

I don't relay like the Adagio TKY [TGY], but I don't like the Dragon Pearls. [When did dragon become the same as jasmine?] I've already gotten in trouble for expressing my dislike of Agagio's Wuyi. With in Agadio Oolongs I'd go with the Pouchong and the Ali Shan.

Ali Shan
is the treasure of Adagio.

For good cheaply-moderately TGY try Seven Cups Tea:
Cheap Light Roasted [Note, some people find this roast and oxidation level nauseatingly aromatic, other like the strong aroma.] http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/produ ... 288&page=1

A less cheap darker roast [I like the one more. In the darker roasts the powerful aroma changes into a sweetness are pleasing aftertaste.] http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/produ ... 288&page=1

A even darker roast TGY [My favorite for here] http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/produ ... 288&page=1

For the best of TGY:
http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... 96224248b7
Hou De has an aged one too which I have and will try by Monday.

You can see I'm partial to old-school dark-roasted TGY.

Nov 13th, '08, 15:04

by Woots » Nov 13th, '08, 15:04

My TKY is from the republic of tea (not adagio)... the smell of the tea (unbrewed) is horrible, not at all floral like I read is the effect of TKY. Also the leaves dont look bright green.. they are all old and withered looking (is this an aged TKY? or just poorly kept? or maybe its normal?)

I will look into those other recommendations you made. I would like to start exploring some other tea sites like 7cups, Yunan sourcing, etc.

PS: whats Ali Shan taste like?

Nov 13th, '08, 15:11

by Victoria » Nov 13th, '08, 15:11

Republic of Tea is Republic of Tea.
You are not likely to find a good oolong there.

Why don't you start with non-flavored Adagio oolongs until you decide
if you like light or darker roasted - then venture out.

Nov 13th, '08, 15:12

by edkrueger » Nov 13th, '08, 15:12

It tastes like Dong Ding but more vegetable. That would require you having had Dong Ding to understand. Dong Ding is described as honey sent and honey taste and sweet. It tastes like high mountain Oolong, but smoother with a honey taste.

Nov 13th, '08, 15:48

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 13th, '08, 15:48

I would also suggest staying away from anything flavored. You really want to taste the profile of oolong because there can be so many interesting flavors in them, not to be covered up by less superior flavors :)

I also like to suggest teacuppa.com because they have some of the best oolongs anywhere.

On the topic of TGY, its a very general title for tea and atleast through my eyes you can't really expect anything specific from them because you never really know what you are going to get unless you have tried that specific one before.

Nov 13th, '08, 16:12

by Chip » Nov 13th, '08, 16:12

edkrueger wrote:[When did dragon become the same as jasmine?]
Actually, there is Dragon Pearl, and there is Dragon Pearl Jasmine, the latter being scented. But tbh, vendors often mess up the nomenclature anyway.

Dragon Pearl Jasmine can be really nice, it is possibly the only scented tea I really like.

My vote is for greener oolongs, unflavored. There are very good darker ones out there, but I get frustrated and poorer trying to find them. But you should definitely explore others in order to find your personal oolong preferences.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 13th, '08, 16:17

by cha cha cha » Nov 13th, '08, 16:17

Woots wrote: Does oolong produce a more europhoric effect then other teas varieties? I drank some this afternoon while I was working and I had to take a lil 1/2 hour break cause I definitely was buzzed... is this normal? Or did this happen cause I am an oolong novice? Not that I minded the effects... its just I will be careful to drink it in the evening time only if I can expect that every time I drink it. Its only now 2 hours later that I feel "normal" again.
It's really interesting that you mention this. I felt the same "buzz" drinking Adagio's TKY!

Nov 13th, '08, 18:10

by Woots » Nov 13th, '08, 18:10

cha cha cha wrote:
Woots wrote: Does oolong produce a more europhoric effect then other teas varieties? I drank some this afternoon while I was working and I had to take a lil 1/2 hour break cause I definitely was buzzed... is this normal? Or did this happen cause I am an oolong novice? Not that I minded the effects... its just I will be careful to drink it in the evening time only if I can expect that every time I drink it. Its only now 2 hours later that I feel "normal" again.
It's really interesting that you mention this. I felt the same "buzz" drinking Adagio's TKY!
I tried some Republic of Tea TKY blend not to long ago and I did not get any "buzz" effect at all. It tasted ok had similar notes as that jasmine pearls I drank earlier. It just didn't have the kick.

I think there may be something to the "quality" of the adagio oolongs that give them more "oomph" in the euphoria department. I will have to try more adagio oolongs down the road... as well as many others.

Nov 13th, '08, 18:18

by edkrueger » Nov 13th, '08, 18:18

Victoria wrote: Why don't you start with non-flavored Adagio oolongs until you decide
if you like light or darker roasted - then venture out.
I don't think Adagio has a good example of a roasted Oolong. My problem with their Wuyi is its under roasted. Also, its entirely possible to hate Wuyi and love Roasted TGY, Dan Cong, Boazhong, Dong Ding, etc.

+ Post Reply