Twinings...

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 18th, '08, 13:32

by treazure » Nov 18th, '08, 13:32

Re: Prince of Wales - been so long since I had it, darned if I recall the flavor, so no help there.

Re: Quality of Twinings on both sides of the Atlantic - OK, I will admit when I read that, my fur went up. I have a knee jerk reaction to what I perceive as snobbery in anything, and that includes tea. (Even if I am wrong.) Since I purchase my Irish Breakfast Blend, loose, from Twinings USA and also have some IBB bags for portability, I thought I'd try them cup by cup. Sorry, I cannot discern a lessening of the quality in either cup, but in using the loose tea, I could make it strong enough for a mouse to walk on. (Old Irish saying from my old Irish great granny.)

If you take a teabag apart, you'll see smaller bits, fannings, and of course there are those whose noses will turn up at that, but the plain fact is that fannings make a lot faster cup of tea without needing 7 minutes or so of steeping time. If I'm using a tea bag, it generally isn't when I'm willing or able to wait a while for my tea to be ready.

Twinings has been in business for over 300 years now. Comparing their longevity with some of our American businesses, their track record isn't too shabby. IMO, neither is their tea. What I have noticed is that often the stock in grocery stores in the US isn't always that fresh. Down where I live, it is easy to find bagged tea for iced tea but not that easy finding another type of tea.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 20th, '08, 06:49

by treazure » Nov 20th, '08, 06:49

Don't cry, but Twinings USA had a special sale on bagged Lady Gray for like 1.49 per 20 count box. This month is something different, cannot remember which.

Just got one of my orders from them, some fresh, lovely loose Irish Breakfast Blend and a couple boxes of Black Currant bags. Nummies. Wish I could find it locally, but the Black Currant comes from UK.

Horrors, the teapot is empty! Must make tea.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 20th, '08, 15:02

by hop_goblin » Nov 20th, '08, 15:02

Omega, nothing wrong with liking bagged teas! Man, when I was an undergrad, it was Constant Comment for me buddy! Late night with a hot steaming cup. However, it is not Twinings :P

Nov 20th, '08, 15:23

by caligatia » Nov 20th, '08, 15:23

I keep a few bags of Twinings English Breakfast in my purse for when I'm out. (I've also got an Adagio sample tin containing some Formosa lapsang for when I'm at a family member's house, but when we're in restaurants I figure it's less embarrassing for them if I just use a teabag. *laugh*) Twinings teabags are very handy sometimes...

Nov 20th, '08, 18:55

by cha cha cha » Nov 20th, '08, 18:55

I've never really liked tea from tea bags, but Tazo's Berryblossom White is very good. It's a blueberry flavored white tea, and one of the reasons I am now a tea addict!

Nov 29th, '08, 12:31

Twinings screen saver

by treazure » Nov 29th, '08, 12:31

Gorgeous, free screen saver (PC and Mac versions) at Twinings UK.
http://www.twinings.co.uk/speciality_screensaver.asp

Secondly. Everyone here knows that Twinings sells loose tea as well? Twinings isn't ~just~ tea bags.

Not that this will change the sneering-nose sniffing-bagged tea will never pass my lips-better expensive than cheap-I am so much better than you because I drink only JammaLammaDingDong cha at 1,000 an ounce- crowd.

Ah, the Emperor's New Clothes.

Dec 1st, '08, 02:25

by Gu-Ao-Rui » Dec 1st, '08, 02:25

I enjoy Twinings from time to time. When I'm on the go (and I do a lot of traveling), I bring a couple bags of Twinings to keep me going. I like their loose Gunpowder Green Tea also. I make my own variation of Morrocan Mint with it since I decided to add Spearmint to my garden. I tried Darjeeling loose by Twinings and found it a little too strong for me on my first brew, I still have the tin and might get around to giving it another try sooner or later. Lady Grey Loose is great for those who like citrusy black teas.

Dec 1st, '08, 07:31

by xuancheng » Dec 1st, '08, 07:31

Tea Drinking Peasant wrote:I'm a twinings fan their english breakfast and russian caravan loose tea leaf is a great cup of tea.Looking to get tea's like Prince of Wales ...
I will always love Russian Caravan by Twinnings and also the Prince of Wales. That seemed popular with many people on this thread.

The Russian Caravan brings back memories of the month I spent in St Petersburg when I was 17. I love Russian tea.

I don't know if I have ever had Russian caravan in Teabag form though... I'd still drink it either way.

Dec 1st, '08, 10:11
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Twinings screen saver

by Chip » Dec 1st, '08, 10:11

treazure wrote: Not that this will change the sneering-nose sniffing-bagged tea will never pass my lips-better expensive than cheap-I am so much better than you because I drink only JammaLammaDingDong cha at 1,000 an ounce- crowd.

Ah, the Emperor's New Clothes.
:lol:

I remember when I started drinking tea almost 10 years ago, I had their Russian Caravan that was always enjoyable, and one tea I think it was called Chinese Oolong which was sometimes surprisingly good and other times just tasted faded. They were teabags.

Now where did I lay my clothes? I can never find them once I take them off.

Dec 1st, '08, 10:23

by Shelob » Dec 1st, '08, 10:23

Chip wrote:Ah, the Emperor's New Clothes. :lol:
Chip, you are an incorrigible flirt...but I guess w/ all those geisha residing in your house, clothes may be optional :twisted:

Dec 1st, '08, 11:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 1st, '08, 11:31

Shelob wrote:
Chip wrote:Ah, the Emperor's New Clothes.
Chip, you are an incorrigible flirt...but I guess w/ all those geisha residing in your house, clothes may be optional :twisted:[/quote]

No, all cats must be dressed! :shock:

I was refering of course to H.C Anderson's fairy tail about the emperor's cloths.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 1st, '08, 12:13

by Shelob » Dec 1st, '08, 12:13

Chip wrote:
Shelob wrote:
Chip wrote:Ah, the Emperor's New Clothes.
Now where did I lay my clothes? I can never find them once I take them off
Chip, you are an incorrigible flirt...but I guess w/ all those geisha residing in your house, clothes may be optional :twisted:
No, all cats must be dressed! :shock:

I was refering of course to H.C Anderson's fairy tail about the emperor's cloths.
OMG, Chip, I am sorry, sometimes I just don't read the entire posts..if tooo long and I just didn't interpret correctly. :oops: Hope I am forgiven and will not be banned?????? :?: Have a great day :)

Dec 5th, '08, 19:30

by Love4TheLeaf » Dec 5th, '08, 19:30

I don't know what the deal is but here in the Midwest (US) the only bagged tea brands that seem to have any ambition at all are Stash and Twinings. There are actually a couple of more exotic bagged ones but they're kind of hard to find. You can't just buy them at any old store.

+ Post Reply