Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 18th, '08, 17:51

by hop_goblin » Nov 18th, '08, 17:51

puerhking wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:
puerhking wrote:Yuan Nian Yi Wu 2007
Ebay vendor vins_n_teas $13

Astringency - none
Smoke - some
Dryness - none
Mouthfeel - medium +
Hui gan - some
Flavor - excellent
Overall value - off the hook
Purchase again - I can only hope to obtain more

Right off the bat….a bit of smoke and bacon. Then wood, hay and a hint of camphor. Fairly complex. Initially the brewed leaves hit hard with the scent of bacon. Somewhat strange but somehow satisfying. Leaning more to the earthy side which is nice for a change. Flavors have an aged feel about them for an 07. Coats the mouth with flavors that linger long after liquor is swallowed. Nice large leaves that are mostly intact…they are dark as well making me wonder if they are fall leaves. After later brews the leaves had a complex and magnificently sweet smell to them. For the $13 I paid including shipping…an obscene bargain. One of the best shengs I have had.
Interesting. Bacon? Not what I would find pleasant in a pu. I have never heard the claim that fall leaves are dark. However, I have read that ancient tree can be dark. Although highly doubtful for 13$. Fall leaves are generally larger in size and are less aromatic or astringent in profile. I hate to say it, but the profile is not reminiscent of Yiwu. I wonder where the leaves came from.
I thought I had read somewhere that fall leaves were generally darker but I could be mistaken. I do not know how much this would retail for from a YSLLC as this was purchased from an individual. The website and the cakes are as professionally done as any I have seen. The neifei is reminiscent of Menghai in complexity. I have no reason to believe there is not at least some Yiwu in the mix. I did post a pic of the leaves on the original post.
Hey there PK, perhaps it may contain a some YiWu leaves. I was just commenting that many of the Yiwu teas I have ever tasted are sweet and florally. What one has to remember is that YiWu leaves are among some of the most expensive on the market and with a 13$ price tag, well you do that math. Yes, I can see that it has a nice Nefei, although remember, the purpose for the the DaYi neifei is to to stop DaYi counterfeiting only and it is not a guarantee of contents. Same could possibly said about this example.. I know when it comes to puerh, we all hope for a diamond in the rough. The only rough diamonds that existed were those prior to 2001 when puerh was a common commodity. Just be careful. With its uncommon characteristics both in taste and in color and cheap price, it may be border tea.

Nov 18th, '08, 18:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 18th, '08, 18:08

I just posted a review of

2007 Yunnian Tea "Premium Alliance" or "Summit"(?) or "8848"(?)
Yun Nan Yuen Nian Tea Co

in the Puerhshop thread. The review is based on only one session about a month ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nov 18th, '08, 19:45

by Goose » Nov 18th, '08, 19:45

I had sent Scott at YSLLC an email about this Yuan Nian Yi Wu 2007
tea earlier today-I will report his reply.

Nov 18th, '08, 20:08

Re: We can get them!

by Jim Liu » Nov 18th, '08, 20:08

puerhking wrote:
Can you tell us anything else about the CEO's experience? Has he worked for any of the major pu players?
The time was a day afternoon in Oct. 2008 I was sipping tea with Yiwu Yongpin Hao's boss. I asked him about his cooperation with Yiwu Guanzizai Tea Factory on all 2008 Guanzizai's offerings. 'A small world', he laughed. It turned out they were related, also another vendor's name was mentioned: Huali Tea Factory. Well, it's simple, yet complicated. Let me try: his uncle married to a woman whose brother was the boss of Huali, and Huali's sister ...... to Mr. Huang of Guanzizai. At this point, a family tree drawn would be very much helpful.

Then I entered a shop, Yiwu Hongqing hao owned by Ms. Zhang to have a chat. Now YuanNian's name was mentioned. Needless to say, the boss at Yuan Nian was related to her, they were acquainted years ago.

Once an Yiwunese, always an Yiwunese, who knows making Pu tea.

Nov 18th, '08, 20:47

2000 Zhongcha Green Mark

by Goose » Nov 18th, '08, 20:47

Nov 18th, '08, 21:08

Re: 2000 Zhongcha Green Mark

by thanks » Nov 18th, '08, 21:08

Goose wrote:Image

Nice pictures! How was it, where'd you get it, and was it worth the price?

Nov 18th, '08, 21:24

by Drax » Nov 18th, '08, 21:24

heavydoom wrote: Hui gan - don't have a clue what the hell this is.
+1

Anybody? (:

Nov 18th, '08, 21:30

by thanks » Nov 18th, '08, 21:30

Drax wrote:
heavydoom wrote: Hui gan - don't have a clue what the hell this is.
+1

Anybody? (:
According to babelcarp,

"huigan = (1) pleasant aftertaste, literally Returning Sweet (回甘) [2,1]; or, much less commonly, a less specific label for virtually any effect after the liquor has been swallowed, literally Returning Feeling (回感) [2,3]"

Nov 18th, '08, 22:10

by hop_goblin » Nov 18th, '08, 22:10

Wow, from the wrapper it appears to be a very oily example. Looks good!

Nov 18th, '08, 22:37

by Goose » Nov 18th, '08, 22:37

thanks wrote:
Goose wrote: Nice pictures! How was it, where'd you get it, and was it worth the price?
Well, thank you for your kind comments.
I purchased 2 Beng from Skip4teas and while I am not sure the price, it was not very costly. The item # is 10025 if you would like to find it.
I am very inexperienced, having only sampled a dozen or so Shengpu so far, The following comments are worth what you can get for them- :D I will say that this is a very complex tea. The dry leaves have an earthy leather smell. Like a old saddle,but, in no way stale or dank. The liquor is a deepish red and the aroma cup leaves a dry woody feeling in the nose,almost like an old wood shop or mill would when you walk in.
The mouth feel is dryish and smooth. The tea has a very slight sweetness with a bit of astringency overlaying it,pleasant. The tea feels thicker than it is. Caffeine is low.
I have had on session with it and I do like it. I hope this information is helpful.
Jim

Nov 18th, '08, 22:40

by Goose » Nov 18th, '08, 22:40

Goose wrote:I had sent Scott at YSLLC an email about this Yuan Nian Yi Wu 2007
tea earlier today-I will report his reply.
Scott did get back to me. He will investigate this company and see about sourcing this tea.I will update ASAP.

Jim
Jim

Nov 19th, '08, 11:44

Re: We can get them!

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 19th, '08, 11:44

puerhshop wrote:
puerhking wrote:
Can you tell us anything else about the CEO's experience? Has he worked for any of the major pu players?
The time was a day afternoon in Oct. 2008 I was sipping tea with Yiwu Yongpin Hao's boss. I asked him about his cooperation with Yiwu Guanzizai Tea Factory on all 2008 Guanzizai's offerings. 'A small world', he laughed. It turned out they were related, also another vendor's name was mentioned: Huali Tea Factory. Well, it's simple, yet complicated. Let me try: his uncle married to a woman whose brother was the boss of Huali, and Huali's sister ...... to Mr. Huang of Guanzizai. At this point, a family tree drawn would be very much helpful.

Then I entered a shop, Yiwu Hongqing hao owned by Ms. Zhang to have a chat. Now YuanNian's name was mentioned. Needless to say, the boss at Yuan Nian was related to her, they were acquainted years ago.

Once an Yiwunese, always an Yiwunese, who knows making Pu tea.
Wow Jim that is lovely information. Seems like pu literally runs in certain families. :lol:

Nov 19th, '08, 21:42

by Goose » Nov 19th, '08, 21:42

2000 Zhongcha Green Mark- finishing the last few infusions from last nights maiden voyage. Very pleased with this tea. :D
Jim

Nov 19th, '08, 22:36

by Salsero » Nov 19th, '08, 22:36

Goose wrote: 2000 Zhongcha Green Mark- finishing the last few infusions from last nights maiden voyage. Very pleased with this tea.
What exactly does "Zhongcha" mean? Is it a particular brand of CNNP or does it mean any CNNP product or is it the "cha" surrounded by 8 "zhong"? Or what?

Nov 19th, '08, 22:53

by kymidwife » Nov 19th, '08, 22:53

puerhking wrote:
(in a southern drawl) I do declare....Sarah.......do we detect a movement away from your beloved oolongs? :P
Oh, I am an equal opportunity tea junkie... and very interested in having that "Ah HA!" moment where I finally really "get it" what all the puerh fuss is about. I haven't disliked any I've had, but I haven't been seduced... YET. But I think I sorta want to be, LOL.

I shoulda gotten on the pu box pass... that might have pushed me over the edge!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

+ Post Reply