Xiaguan Holy Flame brick

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Xiaguan Holy Flame brick

Postby shogun89 » Nov 21st, '08, 19:26

Hello everyone,

I know there are a few people round here that have had this brick and just wanted to see if anyone could provide some tasting notes of it. I am guessing that it tastes similar to a Menghai product but a little more aggressive. Thinking about getting a few to taste and if I like them maybe getting like 5 or so to age.
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=596

Thanks for any help.

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Salsero » Nov 22nd, '08, 01:30

I don't know if it is the same tea, but Hop reviewed a 2001 XiaGuan Bao Yan "Holy Flame" Brick HERE and was kind enough to send me a sample of it. I found the sample pleasant, but surprisingly light flavored. My notes refer to a buttery taste.

User avatar Salsero
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby omegapd » Nov 22nd, '08, 02:39

Hey shogun, I'm sure this is directed towards me. :lol: Honestly, I hadn't even taken it out of the wrapper yet. I've gone back to black teas for the moment...

Maybe someone else can chime in.

EW

User avatar omegapd
Posts: 925
Joined: Feb 06, '08
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

Postby Wesli » Nov 22nd, '08, 03:12


User avatar Wesli
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 08, '07
Location: 3161 A.D.
Contact Wesli:

Postby Drax » Nov 22nd, '08, 08:18

Tony reviewed this very item just a while ago in the "Pu of the day" thread (viewtopic.php?t=7045). First page, toward bottom.

I ordered a couple of 2004 bricks from YSLLC a couple days ago. *twiddle* If they're as good as people say for every-day drinking, I'll probably order a bunch of 2007 and age 'em, too.

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2903
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Postby shogun89 » Nov 22nd, '08, 11:27

Thanks everyone for your comments, and thank you Drax for pointing out his review, dont know how I missed it. I think I will order a few, for 4.99, cant beat it.

I am also considering this cake, anyone had this before?
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=322

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Salsero » Nov 22nd, '08, 11:56

shogun89 wrote: I am also considering this cake, anyone had this before?
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=322


This tea was part of the Year of Green Puerh sampler that a bunch of us ordered. You can find my 2 reviews HERE and HERE.

I had it about a month ago and these are my notes:
    This is a new little free sample … I had forgetten that I tasted this previously. Mmm, the cake costs a dollar more. This sample had attractive loosely compressed leaves. 1st infusion: light flavor, good viscosity, sweet, aftertaste, not astringent! Wow!
    2nd infusion a bit astringent, fairly thick and rather full flavored. Seemed to become less interesting as the steeps progressed.
    Boy, about the sixth and seventh infusions it is dawning on me that this stuff is really good!


Funny thing is that I have never ordered a full cake! Guess I better add it to my shopping list.

User avatar Salsero
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby expatCanuck » Nov 22nd, '08, 12:34

shogun89 wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments, and thank you Drax for pointing out his review, dont know how I missed it. I think I will order a few, for 4.99, cant beat it. ...
If you like 'darker', fuller bodied, in-your-face teas, you'll be okay. It's decent enough, and I'll likely finish my brick, but I don't think I'll reorder.
- Richard

User avatar expatCanuck
Posts: 56
Joined: Dec 22, '06
Contact expatCanuck:

Yakbutter

Postby thejamus » Nov 22nd, '08, 13:36

Has anyone made yak butter with this? I have five of these bricks and plan to do so in a few more years. Just curious what others' impressions of this were.

User avatar thejamus
Posts: 31
Joined: Nov 20, '08
Location: Plymouth, Mi
Contact thejamus:

Re: Yakbutter

Postby Salsero » Nov 22nd, '08, 13:44

thejamus wrote: Has anyone made yak butter with this?
Of course, you realize that they don't make butter from the tea. Tibetans mix the butter with the tea. Bearsbearsbears (I think) and Nada have both had Tibetan yak butter tea, but they have both been too busy lately to post a lot. Here are some comments by Nada: viewtopic.php?p=70761&highlight=yak+butter#70761

and some observations by Gingko here: viewtopic.php?p=70747&highlight=tibetan+friend+treated#70747

User avatar Salsero
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby thejamus » Nov 22nd, '08, 14:10

Tibetan Yakbutter tea is what I was referring to. Thanks for the links! ^__^

User avatar thejamus
Posts: 31
Joined: Nov 20, '08
Location: Plymouth, Mi
Contact thejamus:

Postby tony shlongini » Nov 22nd, '08, 20:19

expatCanuck wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments, and thank you Drax for pointing out his review, dont know how I missed it. I think I will order a few, for 4.99, cant beat it. ...
If you like 'darker', fuller bodied, in-your-face teas, you'll be okay. It's decent enough, and I'll likely finish my brick, but I don't think I'll reorder.
- Richard


Richard, were you lucky enough to score the '08 Yiwu Zhengshan Bulang brick before we ( :wink: ) cleaned Jim out? It's very nice, too.

The Xiaguan doesn't have the complexity that most people here are looking for, but it's a good change of pace and nice to drink on occasion.

User avatar tony shlongini
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby expatCanuck » Nov 22nd, '08, 23:32

tony shlongini wrote:
expatCanuck wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments, and thank you Drax for pointing out his review, dont know how I missed it. I think I will order a few, for 4.99, cant beat it. ...
If you like 'darker', fuller bodied, in-your-face teas, you'll be okay. It's decent enough, and I'll likely finish my brick, but I don't think I'll reorder.
- Richard


Richard, were you lucky enough to score the '08 Yiwu Zhengshan Bulang brick before we ( :wink: ) cleaned Jim out?

The Xiaguan doesn't have the complexity that most people here are looking for, but it's a good change of pace and nice to drink on occasion.
I did score a Bulang brick, and it's my second favorite pu-erh to date (the 2006 Autumn "Yi Wu Yeh Cha" of Chen Guang-Ho Tang being my favorite (from Scott's earlier recommendations)).

User avatar expatCanuck
Posts: 56
Joined: Dec 22, '06
Contact expatCanuck:

Postby tony shlongini » Nov 23rd, '08, 10:25

expatCanuck wrote:I did score a Bulang brick, and it's my second favorite pu-erh to date (the 2006 Autumn "Yi Wu Yeh Cha" of Chen Guang-Ho Tang being my favorite (from Scott's earlier recommendations)).


Good. Some very knowledgeable folks have rated it higher than the more expensive, Douji-branded 50g mini bricks.

User avatar tony shlongini
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby shogun89 » Nov 23rd, '08, 11:38

Thank you for all the posts everyone. I too saw that 2008 brick but was not quick enough to get one.

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest