Iced oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 28th, '08, 20:10

Iced oolong

by Robertwolf1 » Nov 28th, '08, 20:10

Anyone one know how to make a great iced oolong in terms of how much leaf per amount of water and the method used?

Nov 29th, '08, 02:50

by betta » Nov 29th, '08, 02:50

This might help.
There's no exact answer for this, again it's subjective.
Better try to vary the amount of tea and water by yourself to suit your preference because the brewed tea tastes different from one to another tea.

Nov 29th, '08, 03:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Nov 29th, '08, 03:22

Rather than trying to make it more concentrated, I found it better to just get some "reusable" ice cubes - plastic cubes filled with water that you freeze. These don't dilute the tea, so it stays essentially the same.

You could also probably put some ice cubes in a ziplock bag and use that.

The ones I got came in a plastic cup. I kept the cup, and when I make iced tea I just pour it directly into this cup with the ice. Once it's cold then I pour it over regular ice in an insulated mug (the reusable ice cubes don't get as cold because the plastic insulates it just a bit).

The main thing is just to get oolong that's heavier on taste than aroma. The higher quality oolongs are more about aroma, so you ideally want something on the lower end of the mid range oolongs. Si Ji (four seasons) makes one of the best I've had :)

Nov 29th, '08, 04:05

by Vulture » Nov 29th, '08, 04:05

Also you can make Tea Ice Cubes if you had one of those trays

Nov 30th, '08, 08:32

by battra » Nov 30th, '08, 08:32

My method:
*Put 1-2 dl hot water over 5-10 g tea leaves, steep for maybe two minutes.
*Fill up to about one litre with cold water (I use a one litre pitcher for this).
*Put in the fridge, wait for some hours - I usually let it steep over the night.

Nov 30th, '08, 11:16

by hop_goblin » Nov 30th, '08, 11:16

I use the left over oolong that I have once I run out of a particular kind and not enough to make an entire pot. I then pool the other oolongs I have and make ice tea. I have been lucky using 20g for one gallon of water.

Dec 1st, '08, 01:17

by chefmike » Dec 1st, '08, 01:17

I've had good luck with this cold brew method. 20g tea to 2 quarts cold water. 8 hours in the fridge, and strain. I'll do it before bed so it's ready in the A.M.

Dec 1st, '08, 02:26

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 1st, '08, 02:26

This sounds very yummy and quite simple to make. What type of oolong are you guys using? I'm assuming its cheaper stuff?

Dec 2nd, '08, 02:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Dec 2nd, '08, 02:55

I wouldn't say to go for cheap, but rather look for something solidly in the mid range that focus more on taste than aroma. If you like high mountain wulong, then look for Si Ji (Four Seasons). This is the best wulong I've had iced to date - the more expensive ones tasted better, but the cheaper ones were good as well (just not as rich). Si Ji in general is usually cheaper because it's harvested 4 times per year (each season, hence the name).

Many TGY's in the same range (lower mid quality) are also very good for this. Really anything with more taste and a simple aroma. Being more about taste than aroma means that there's less complexity. Complexity normally comes from the aroma, which would just get lost when iced leaving you with a mostly insipid drink. Simple but strong aromas, however, will still usually carry through after being iced. (Is it obvious that I spent a fair amount of time on this this last summer?)

Another good one to ice is Jasmine pearls :) I got some locally that I like best, but then I really haven't tried any from the onliine shops. I also picked up an inexpensive jade Dong Ding ($30 for a half pound) for making iced tea.

+ Post Reply