Licorice Tea

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Nov 29th, '08, 03:42

Licorice Tea

by Vulture » Nov 29th, '08, 03:42

I am just starting to look at licorice tea. I really love the black licorice flavor but I do not know how just the tea would hold up to it. It would probably be best to have a licorice and anise seed mix.

Has anyone point out to a decent vendor for licorice root tea and or blends. Also what is the flavor like?

Nov 29th, '08, 05:18

by omegapd » Nov 29th, '08, 05:18

I've never tried it in a "real" tea, but the herbal stuff is very good- especially the one I linked to in the other thread. It has a spicy taste, not exactly what you'd think of as licorice, but the aroma is definitely licorice.

EW

Nov 29th, '08, 05:32

by Vulture » Nov 29th, '08, 05:32

Yah your post got me thinking on this. I meant it as an herbal tea not licorice with tea EW :lol:

I saw that vendor had strait licorice root tea as well so I might order both to test them out later.

Nov 29th, '08, 07:08

by omegapd » Nov 29th, '08, 07:08

Vulture wrote:Yah your post got me thinking on this. I meant it as an herbal tea not licorice with tea EW :lol:
To try and find that link on ebay, I typed in Licorice tea and saw at least one auction where someone was selling a licorice flavored black tea. Sounds like something I may try one day for fun...

edit* Yup, I knew I wasn't seeing things.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Licorice-Loose-Leaf ... .m20.l1116

EW

Nov 29th, '08, 07:32

by Vulture » Nov 29th, '08, 07:32

omegapd wrote:
Vulture wrote:Yah your post got me thinking on this. I meant it as an herbal tea not licorice with tea EW :lol:
To try and find that link on ebay, I typed in Licorice tea and saw at least one auction where someone was selling a licorice flavored black tea. Sounds like something I may try one day for fun...

edit* Yup, I knew I wasn't seeing things.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Licorice-Loose-Leaf ... .m20.l1116

EW
That is a Flavored tea that uses Oils like Adagio's. I would prefer a herbal way even if I have to blend my own licorice root and anise seeds :lol:

Edit: So far only Vendor (not on ebay) I found with licorice is Here

Nov 29th, '08, 15:14

by omegapd » Nov 29th, '08, 15:14

Vulture,

Just on a whim today, I made up my 2 cup travel mug with a tsp. of Adagio's Rum tea and a tsp and a half of the Ebay Licorice Spice. Let it steep for 4 minutes. It turned out amazing. The Rum was lacking something for my tastes by itself, but the flavor still came through the anise seed and cloves in the Licorice Spice and complemented it perfectly. I'm going to bring some LS with me tonight and try mixing it with some cheap Chinese green tea I don't care for much and see how that works out. This is one of the few times that I mixed a blend myself that didn't taste like dishwater in the end. :shock:

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you- if you order from that lady on Ebay she gives a few free samples with each order. If you try the licorice spice, just ask for a sample of the licorice root tea and save that few bucks. She normally throws in two more samples of her choosing along with what you request.

Nov 29th, '08, 15:37

by omegapd » Nov 29th, '08, 15:37

Vulture wrote:
Edit: So far only Vendor (not on ebay) I found with licorice is Here
Here's one more- http://www.herbco.com/c-309-licorice.aspx

EW

May 19th, '09, 22:20

I love black licorice

by bigleiznuh » May 19th, '09, 22:20

Since my mom is from Denmark, I always had black licorice around the house. When I was younger in my trips to Denmark with my family I used to buy licorice root from candy stands. It tastes like a sweet black licorice when chewed. I have not tried it but I've seen rishi teas offer a licorice root tea. It might be right up your alley.

May 19th, '09, 22:26

by woozl » May 19th, '09, 22:26

My Grandpa' made sasparilla.
Different than rootbeer.
Definite licorice anise thing.
That is a taste that can't be found these days :cry:
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 19th, '09, 22:49

by spot52 » May 19th, '09, 22:49

I bought some pure licorice root after having an oolong that was rolled into balls with licorice oil.

The oil left a nice sweet mellow after taste. I could not replicate the taste with the pure licorice root, but I was close. I think the licorice root alone was just too strong for me.

Some companies use star anise instead to get a similar flavor.

+ Post Reply