Pesticides?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 7th, '08, 12:21

Pesticides?

by shogun89 » Dec 7th, '08, 12:21

I know stuff like this has been posted about before but I want to know how some of you stand now. Is there anyway to tell if pesticides were used in a cake? What kind of pesticides are used? Could it be harmful to be drinking puerh everyday when we dont know whats in it? I dont know the answers to these. What do you guys think?
Last edited by shogun89 on Dec 7th, '08, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 7th, '08, 13:21

by Janine » Dec 7th, '08, 13:21

Well, this would be one reason for a quick rinse with boiling water and throwing out the water. I don't use a full steeping, I personally just flash rinse to a level above the tops of the tea leaves in gaiwan or pot, and throw that out.

We all know that produce of any kind is going to be involved with pesticide use, unless specified when you buy it at a market of any kind. How do you clean fruits and vegetables before you prepare or eat them?

In another post on a similar subject, betta (whose research gives her expertise in these sorts of questions) says - if I understood correctly, betta may wish to correct me - that if the pesticide is organic substance then it may convert to other substance in a plant. Old-style pesticides like DDT may have done this. But most of modern pesticides decompose in the plant or upon long contact time with air.

That's my understanding of what betta has written elsewhere... betta can speak for herself much "betta" than I can! :)
Last edited by Janine on Dec 7th, '08, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 7th, '08, 13:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » Dec 7th, '08, 13:23

A Cha Dao article that you might find useful:

http://chadao.blogspot.com/2007/08/all- ... luted.html

The first lines of defense are your own senses, then sticking to vendors that you can trust.

+ Post Reply