Strategies for keeping tea organized

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 7th, '08, 19:03

Strategies for keeping tea organized

by Goose » Dec 7th, '08, 19:03

What are some ways you handle keeping track of your tea? I only have a dozen bengs now and I still cannot keep the Chinese/English squared away in my mind only. I refer back to the web page I bought them from often. Any suggestions? How do you do it with the stashes I have seen posted.

Thanks, Jim
Last edited by Goose on Dec 7th, '08, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 7th, '08, 20:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Dec 7th, '08, 20:30

The puerhshop usually puts a small white label on the items to denote what they are (if it's not already obvious what the item is).

Similarly, I'd recommend a piece of tape or something (depending if you want to save the wrapper or something) to write the English on it.

Like Tom, I also use an excel spreadsheet.

And I also try to keep track of the Chinese, because I know a bit of Japanese and can recognize a number of the characters.

Tonight, I'm actually in the process of organizing a recent order!

Dec 7th, '08, 20:45

by shogun89 » Dec 7th, '08, 20:45

I just started a Pu log in a composition book. It has a TOC, one for sheng, one for ripe. It lists the name and the pages of the book where its located. There I provide the name, company, date made, date acquired, price paid, and place of purchase. After that there is a page for tasting notes, so I can see there developments. I think I am also going to start posting pictures in it as well.

Dec 7th, '08, 20:56

by chamekke » Dec 7th, '08, 20:56

I'm not into pu - yet - but I do use an Excel spreadsheet to catalogue my teas, including when each was ordered, its price, preparation instructions, and of course my tasting notes. I also include a hyperlink to the original listing so that I can refer to it if need be.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Dec 7th, '08, 22:40

by heavydoom » Dec 7th, '08, 22:40

what? :shock:

Dec 7th, '08, 23:26

by odarwin » Dec 7th, '08, 23:26

i wrap my individual beengs, tuos, or bricks in an extra layer of sketching paper.
on the extra layer, i just write the year of production, factory, and if its shou or sheng cha.

as for pu that i got the whole bag of tuos, or tongs, i just leave it as is, and when i open them and they become "alone" then i do the sketching paper thing.

the purpose of the sketching paper is really to be an extra barrier against moisture, and the labeling part is just secondary, naturally i have to put labels cause i dont want to open every beeng all the time to check which is which

Dec 7th, '08, 23:47

by Salsero » Dec 7th, '08, 23:47

Excel is my tea fairy also.

One workbook for brewing and tasting notes, one for current puerh inventory. Into the inventory I copy and paste vendor photos, occasional links to reviews, and notes about why I bought the cake, who liked it and who to blame if I don't like it. :lol:

I use a Word doc for the contents of my seven-drawer pumidor. I usually attach a very short and tiny descriptive note to each wrapped cake either by using removable tape or by just sticking the little note inside the wrapper. I suppose a pin would be another good way to attach it without doing too much damage to the wrapper.

For very broken up and partial cakes, I put the pieces into open brown paper bags with folded wrapper and nei fei inside, and outside a description written on the bag itself. I either cut the bags to a short size or fold them back like a sleeve so they are open on the top. I have decided these brown bags start smelling funky after about 6 to 8 months of moderate humidity so I change the bags periodically. I used to keep a hard copy of the vendors' pages in the pumidor with the tea, but I decided that copy paper starts to smell funky too if the storage is a bit humid, so now I keep those outside the pumidor. I no longer print those hard copies, however, since I now just copy the photos and text I want into the Excel speadsheet.

Needless to say, frequent backups are critical.

Dec 7th, '08, 23:51

by thanks » Dec 7th, '08, 23:51

Since I don't cover everything in my flickr, and I definitely don't cover barely anything in my blog, I also have a moleskin I keep in my storage cabinet to keep track of everything.

Dec 8th, '08, 02:38

by hobbesoxon » Dec 8th, '08, 02:38

The spreadsheet is essential for keeping track of the purchase details, but don't underestimate the value of photographs associated with each tea! So many times have I pulled a cake from the back of an old pile, and spent quite a while trying to remember what it is. Photographs help so much... :wink:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Dec 8th, '08, 05:44

by Drax » Dec 8th, '08, 05:44

thanks wrote:I also have a moleskin I keep in my storage cabinet to keep track of everything.
Nice! That's what I'm using as my journal. :D

Dec 8th, '08, 11:40

by puerhking » Dec 8th, '08, 11:40

Whenever I buy pu I just copy and paste the info, including the description and the photo, into a word file. Then I can just scroll through all my purchased pu's. You could also add brewing notes with ease.

Dec 8th, '08, 11:58

by Goose » Dec 8th, '08, 11:58

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have started a file to keep trackof my teas.

Who knew a cup of tea would be so much work? :roll:
Jim

Dec 8th, '08, 17:12

by Salsero » Dec 8th, '08, 17:12

puerhking wrote: I can just scroll through all my purchased pu's.
Search functions are also a life saver with all those opaque Chinese names.

Dec 11th, '08, 23:32

by Goose » Dec 11th, '08, 23:32

Well, I have a good head start on this, I am up to 27 pages in word! :shock:

Thanks again for the suggestions Gents.
Jim
Jim

+ Post Reply