Tea Blender, Tea Blends Needed

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Tea Blender, Tea Blends Needed

Postby MR.T » Dec 8th, '08, 00:13

Hello Guys I will be getting involved with a Specialty Tea Gift basket business and would like to buy our own bulk teas. I would like to start blending, is there any special way in blending teas and coming up with our own names for them, will we need to get a blender to come with some blends. Also what are some things we will need when blending is there any FDA requirements for selling tea and blends? We wanted to start off with 10-15 blends for now apart from our standard teas, which we plan to carry. Some much-guided assistance on this would be gladly appreciated both for blending and packaging.

Mr.T
MR.T

Postby Chip » Dec 8th, '08, 00:43

Mr. T, I am going to move this to TeaBusiness where it will be more at home.

Good luck with your venture!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Vulture » Dec 8th, '08, 02:57

Mr T.

This is what I am setting up a T Lab in another thread for. I am still a youngun to tea and life so my budget is small. I am heading the herb/spice tea blends myself though.

I am not sure about the legal stuff but the rest can't be helped until you tell use how you intend to blend teas. Are you going for non-flavored tea blends, herbal/spice flavored tea blends or Flavored tea blends? Each of these have a different way of going about it.
Vulture

Postby MR.T » Dec 8th, '08, 11:01

Hello Vul, Glad you could answer the call in some way.
The Tea we are planning on blending are herbal/spice and Flavored tea for now until our brand is more known. As stated before this will be different from the standard tea's we are already carrying such as your Oolongs, Greens etc. When you said "my budget is small" what do you mean are you planning on a small venture as well? let me know we could probably work on something.
Vulture wrote:Mr T.

This is what I am setting up a T Lab in another thread for. I am still a youngun to tea and life so my budget is small. I am heading the herb/spice tea blends myself though.

I am not sure about the legal stuff but the rest can't be helped until you tell use how you intend to blend teas. Are you going for non-flavored tea blends, herbal/spice flavored tea blends or Flavored tea blends? Each of these have a different way of going about it.
MR.T

Postby Vulture » Dec 8th, '08, 13:25

When I am talking about budget, I am meaning a graveyard network monitoring tech living in expensive San Diego with enough money to slowly get teaware and tea together to try. I am also only 2 months into teas so you have to keep that in mind. I just have a good grasp on teas (so far at least :wink:)

I don't know if an admin would post but adagio has a nice blending system for mixing 3 teas together. But if you take it a step further with herbs and spices, you need more tools. There is a 'balance' then between the cost of the tools, the time it takes to make a blend, and how it actually tastes. I can't say more because I would be going on guesses. I thought it best to get clarification on what you wanted so some teaguru can give you more advice.

There is also the problem of using 'infused' flavored tea vs. tea with herbs/spices. While flavored teas are nice as you can get a lot of different flavors out of them, they are usually stuck with a celion tea base. A spiced blend is limited to flavors that can be steeped along with the tea. But this will at least let you use other teas as a base.

I am getting off-topic of your origonal post. It depends on how much tea you want to blend at a time. You can just take and blend them in a mixer bowl at home. To getting a huge electric mixer that companies use to make trail mix.

While I am looking into making a tea that I can steep at the same time, I am also looking into brewing teas then mixing them. More like a bartender making a mix drink. The problem again comes down to how much are the ingredients, how long does it take to prepare, and are people even willing to pay for it?

MR.T wrote:Hello Vul, Glad you could answer the call in some way.
The Tea we are planning on blending are herbal/spice and Flavored tea for now until our brand is more known. As stated before this will be different from the standard tea's we are already carrying such as your Oolongs, Greens etc. When you said "my budget is small" what do you mean are you planning on a small venture as well? let me know we could probably work on something.
Vulture

Instant Messenger

Permissions