Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea - Harney & Sons

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Nov 12th, '08, 02:23

by Vulture » Nov 12th, '08, 02:23

I have to say thanks as I was sent a sample of this tea from a forumite. Here is what I wrote about it in my shiny new blog. No offence to adagio but their flavored tea is just 'ok' while places like Harney and Lipicia have amazing flavored teas.
I first want to thank a friend who sent me this. It is from a local store just north New York City that sells teas and also has a tasting room. Harney & Sons also has an online store Here where I will explore later. My favorite flavored tea is Cinnamon, so at this remark I was sent a Cinnamon tea.

Teaware: Gaiwan
Temperature: Boiling
2 Infusions at a time
I started with 20 counts (seconds) and worked up from there.

1st infusion: Wow, this is a lot different than the infused flavor tea I have been using. The flavor of cinnamon is more what I would expect from the raw spice. The second flavor to hit is actualy a sweetness that smooths out the bitterness found in cinnamon. There is a hint of black tea behind this but it is overpowered by the other flavors. Though I have to mark it down points for not being able to taste much of the tea, I give it extra credit as a dessert tea.

2nd infusion: The taste of cinnamon starts to grow as the chunks of cinnamon start infusing the tea with more flavor. It gets more spicy and the sweetness starts pulling back. I do not know if they added any sweetener to the mix but more steeps will tell.

3rd infusion: I am at it again eagerly this time. Normaly I wait for a tea to cool a little before tasting but this one I am burning my lip as I try to have more. This time the cinnamon is starting to kick in more. The sweetness has dropped either due to the stronger cinnamon taste or has started weakening as I go. I spoke to the friend who was online and they do not use sweaterners. The blend uses 3 types of cinnamon and orange peels?

4th infusion: This infusion sis alot lighter than the perviouse ones in taste and color. I will have to start increasing the brewing time by alot. This is a tea that I like to keep strong. It also helps seperate the flavors of the tea.

5th infusion: I used a cooler temperature by not reheating the water, the effect is lighter on the cinnamon so I actualy get a hint of the tea used in the mix. Mainly both the sweetness and the cinnamon are starting to slack off.

6th infusion: Even with the water reheated the flavor has mellowed out on this. This is the final infusion.

Overall - This is a good tea though I can only get a few steeps out of this with full flavor. I might not actualy call this a tea but more a hot beverage. It is steeped the same as tea but there is no tea flavor in it.

Other Thoughts - I am out of a tea budget and its only the start of the week. I ordered some of this along with a few flavored samplers from this vendor....

Nov 12th, '08, 03:16

Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice

by boywoodhe » Nov 12th, '08, 03:16

I have to agree with Vulture.:)
A friend of mine sent me a sample and it has a good spicy flavor, if you want a candy hot beverage. I wouldn't call hot cinnamon spice a tea. It tasted like a liqued fireball jawbreaker and it was an experience tasting the beverage but it doesn't cut it for being a flavored tea. (in my opinion)
It might be good for a dessert subsitute after dinner or if your outside in the cold ...it will warm you up. :)

Nov 12th, '08, 12:49

by cha cha cha » Nov 12th, '08, 12:49

Yup, Hot Cinnamon Spice is definitely my favorite flavored tea by Harney. If you like Harney, try some of their Golden Mudan. I bought some on the recommendation of Tea on Tap (http://teaontap.blogspot.com/2007/12/go ... -sons.html), and it definitely lived up to the praise.[/url]

Dec 4th, '08, 21:36

by yukondoit » Dec 4th, '08, 21:36

I'm glad to see so many people are into this blend. My friend gave me a giant tin of this stuff off-hand, just trying to get rid of it, and I am not really into cinnamon, but this blend totally blew me away. It's so strong and fierce. I don't drink much from Harney & Sons, but it's easily the best cinnamon tea I've ever had, and it's not chalky -- a lot of teas with hot cinnamon can get that chalky consistency.
----------------------->
Jessica
author+tea >> tea news, reviews & info
http://authoritea.blogspot.com

Dec 6th, '08, 19:35

by sheila77551 » Dec 6th, '08, 19:35

I really like this tea. Just asked a friend in Snohomish WA, where I bought my last bag, to bring me two lbs. when she comes to visit me next week. It will be a nice Christmas gift to give to friends along with some home baked cookies.
Does anyone know where to purchase some bags and labels? Thanks.
Sheila

Dec 7th, '08, 01:08

by Vulture » Dec 7th, '08, 01:08

sheila77551 wrote:I really like this tea. Just asked a friend in Snohomish WA, where I bought my last bag, to bring me two lbs. when she comes to visit me next week. It will be a nice Christmas gift to give to friends along with some home baked cookies.
Does anyone know where to purchase some bags and labels? Thanks.
Sheila
Sheila you know they have a web site that you can order all this stuff :wink:

Dec 11th, '08, 03:33

Re: Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice

by omegapd » Dec 11th, '08, 03:33

boywoodie wrote:I wouldn't call hot cinnamon spice a tea.
I tried it for the first time tonight and agree 100% with this statement. Even with the recommended 5 minute steep, the cup was light in color with no "typical" tea flavor. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it - I did. But it tasted more like an herbal cinnamon tisane to me than tea. I think I'll try my hand blending it with some other stuff and see what happens...

EW

+ Post Reply