Suggest some oolongs please...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 7th, '06, 20:21

Suggest some oolongs please...

by rabbit » Mar 7th, '06, 20:21

The only two I've tried were wuyi and silk oolong, I love the wuyi, but hated the silk. Could anyone suggest types of oolong they think I might like?
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Mar 7th, '06, 20:40

by Warden Andy » Mar 7th, '06, 20:40

Wuyi and Ti Kuan Yin are my favorites, and the only two I've tried.

So, try Ti Kuan Yin.

Mar 8th, '06, 01:34

by TeaFanatic » Mar 8th, '06, 01:34

Although I have never tried any of adagio's oolongs, if I were to pick some out they would go in this order: ooooh darjeeling, ti kuan yin, wuyi ensemble, and pouchong. I would especially recommend the ooooh darjeeling as it sounds delicious.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Mar 8th, '06, 07:32

by yresim » Mar 8th, '06, 07:32

Personally, my favorite oolong thus far is Adagio's Jasmine #12. However, I love the smell of jasmine, and I haven't gotten around to trying a wuyi oolong yet, so YMMV.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 8th, '06, 08:23

by LavenderPekoe » Mar 8th, '06, 08:23

TKY and Pouchong.
Teas for trade:

Mar 15th, '06, 13:36

Oolong teas for slimming"

by jmragu » Mar 15th, '06, 13:36

I am interested in usng Oolong tea for a slimming effect. I was introduced to Dim Sum in Vancouver, BC by a frind from Singapore,and was told that Oolong tea is used to flush the fat from your system. Is this true? If so which teas are used? Thanks, jmragu

Mar 15th, '06, 17:45

by MarshalN » Mar 15th, '06, 17:45

I think generally speaking teas have a slimming effect, and it is not just limited to oolongs. I don't think oolongs are particularly more effective than any other tea in this respect.

Mar 16th, '06, 00:16

Re: Oolong teas for slimming"

by yresim » Mar 16th, '06, 00:16

jmragu wrote:I am interested in usng Oolong tea for a slimming effect.
I have heard this before. The claim is that oolong tea has a slimming effect because it suppresses appetite and promotes energy.

However, all caffeine will suppress appetite and promote energy. The caffeine in tea is water-soluble, so it has a slightly different effect on your body than coffee (or in pills). It works through more quickly, which gives you a gentle nudge of energy (instead of the jitters).

So the answer to the question of whether or not oolong will offer a slimming effect by suppressing appetite and increasing energy is "yes."

However, all real teas (black, white, green, white) come from the same plant, so they have similar health effects. It is true that some teas have more of one thing than another. There is most certainly a give-and-take, and teas that are better in one area are typically not as good in another. If you are after a specific effect, one tea might be slightly better than the others.

It looks like none of the experiments that have studied the weight loss effects of oolong have compared those effects to other teas. So, as to whether or not oolong has more of a weight loss effect than any other tea, I couldn't find any indication of that (or against it).

Since oolong falls between green and black, it is likely that one of those has more effect than oolong. Of course, since they haven't been compared to each other, it is hard to say for certain.

I would encourage you to find the tea you like best (not herbal tea, aka tisanes - these are not real teas), and drink that. Most likely, you will experience the effect you are looking for.

If you want to try oolong specifically, you should try to find one you actually like. Adagio sells several nice ones. They offer samplers that cost $2-5, so you can find the one you like without spending a lot of money. And you can get a $5 off gift certificate on your first order. I am partial to their Jasmine #12 myself, but it gets very expensive if you are going to be drinking a lot of it.

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 16th, '06, 08:22

by LavenderPekoe » Mar 16th, '06, 08:22

MarshalN wrote:I think generally speaking teas have a slimming effect, and it is not just limited to oolongs. I don't think oolongs are particularly more effective than any other tea in this respect.
Tea really has no slimming effect for me. I drink 2 to 6 mugs a day and have for almost a year and have gained, not lost, weight. No, I don't add anything to my tea, so there are no extra calories there.
Teas for trade:

Mar 16th, '06, 10:00

by marz910 » Mar 16th, '06, 10:00

LavenderPekoe wrote:Tea really has no slimming effect for me. I drink 2 to 6 mugs a day and have for almost a year and have gained, not lost, weight. No, I don't add anything to my tea, so there are no extra calories there.
I think it depends on the person. I've lost about five pounds in two to three weeks by drinking tea. I think it's becouse instead of a snack I now have a cup of tea.

Mar 16th, '06, 10:42

by MarshalN » Mar 16th, '06, 10:42

Well, tea itself won't help you lose weight, methinks.

Although, if anything, the best for cutting fat is probably a raw puerh of any kind.

Jun 9th, '06, 09:19

some good oolongs

by cubby » Jun 9th, '06, 09:19

so, hopefully its acceptable to point out some good non-adagio oolong teas that are out there -- i particularly like the selection available at Seven Cups. their WuYi oolongs -- there are actually several traditional varieties -- are all superb (if sometimes expensive) and the company does a great job of letting you know where your tea is coming from.

Also, I pretty much always like Ti Kuan Yin teas, so you might give that one a try if youre sticking with adagio teas.

Jun 14th, '06, 04:15

by Guest » Jun 14th, '06, 04:15

I have looked at sevencups as well. Impressive selection, but the cost is extremely prohibitive. Their highest priced oolong is a whopping $42 for less than 2 ounces! For that price, it had better do the dishes afterwards! I've bought some great oolongs from artoftea, but they are a little pricey as well. Like Adagio and Specialteas, however, they have great service as well.

Jun 14th, '06, 11:46

by kodama » Jun 14th, '06, 11:46

As far as cafeine, I think that many good oolongs surpass blacks, so they may actually be the best choice - although if you resteep (good thing usually), you will only have cafeine for the first one-two of the eight or so cups.

Jun 14th, '06, 12:37

by MarshalN » Jun 14th, '06, 12:37

I have to say from what I've seen of Seven Cups, they're overcharging a lot

+ Post Reply