Sencha Premier vs Sencha Overture

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 11th, '08, 07:58

Sencha Premier vs Sencha Overture

by nemesis256 » Dec 11th, '08, 07:58

I just had my first cup of Sencha Premier, and it seemed like typical green tea. I was considering buying a sample of Sencha Overture in the future, but since it's twice the price, I'm not sure it's worth it. Are these two teas really that different? I'm thinking they're not, since half of the name is the same...

Dec 11th, '08, 08:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 11th, '08, 08:48

Maybe you have the names mixed up? Sencha Premier is the more expensive one and is first flush sencha. Sencha Overture is 2nd flush.

I currently have both in my possession. I should say I am spoiled by having most of my sencha shopped direct from Japan to my door or from vendors specializing in Japanese teas, really good stuff. I generally only get very good sencha. This is due to years of getting crappy Japanese tea from mainstream domestic vendors before I even knew about Adagio.

Having said that, assuming you have the current crop of Premier and you are storing it properly which is critical for good sencha, it is actually very good, I have been having it almost every day til I use up this BIG 5 ounce tin. It is more of a light steamed sencha, and will be more astringent than a comparable deep steamed. I think this year's crop is a step forward for Adagio in this realm of tea and hope they can provide consistency from year to year with the Premier.

The Overture is 2nd flush, not my normal cup, TBH. But smelling the dry leaf, it smells nice and sweet. The brew is good for 2nd flush. I use Overture for a self drinker occasionally, but more so for my Japanese tea blending. Approached casually, it is good green tea.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 11th, '08, 22:49

by nemesis256 » Dec 11th, '08, 22:49

Yes you're correct, I mixed up the names. What is a flush exactly? I haven't heard that term before. So do they actually produce different tastes?

Dec 11th, '08, 23:13
Scrolling: scrolling

shincha + ichibancha

by Chip » Dec 11th, '08, 23:13

nemesis256 wrote:Yes you're correct, I mixed up the names. What is a flush exactly? I haven't heard that term before. So do they actually produce different tastes?
Flush = harvest. The first harvest is the best for most teas, and sencha is no exception. It is refered by several names, each with minor differences. Shincha is new harvest tea, the first harvest, and is offered as shincha only in the Spring. Shincha is fully processed upon harvest and packaged for immediate sale.

Ichibancha is also first flush but has been processed differently typically then shincha. Most ichibancha is processed up to final sorting, cold stored until there is demand, then final processed/sorted and packaged.

All shincha is ichibancha, but not all ichibancha is shincha. They are both first harvest though.

I hope this is not TMI.

+ Post Reply