Dec 17th, '08, 20:31

Bodum New Kenya Tea Press

by Pucca » Dec 17th, '08, 20:31

I tried to use the search function, but did not find anything on this topic. I apologize if I missed it. I don't know much about tea, but the person I have for Secret Santa asked for a Bodum New Kenya Tea Press. Is this a good gift item for making loose leaf tea or should I get something else on their wish list? Or can you recommend a better tea accessory for around $25-30? Thanks
Last edited by Pucca on Dec 17th, '08, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 17th, '08, 20:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Dec 17th, '08, 20:49

Hello and welcome.

If the person wants a Bodum pot and was that specific, then by all means get it.
It's a fine pot and a nice gift, don't worry. People have so many different styles,
don't let us dissuade you from what the person might really want.

Just be sure to tell them to come visit us after Christmas. We'll give some tips and
recommend some teas.
:)

By the way - new members are not allowed to post links.
Most of us here know that pot or how to ggoogle it, just edit out your link.
:)

Dec 17th, '08, 21:16

by trallis » Dec 17th, '08, 21:16

i agree with everything victoria said but i wanted to add..

a tea press isn't really the preferred method of brewing tea for most of us, but its just tough to say don't get it because that person might want it for its specific capacity, aesthetic value, or who knows what else.

I'd rather see someone get a teapot they've been excited about than get one that makes perfect tea. the important thing is it will make good tea and they'll have fun with it, and become addicted like all of us.

If you're interested in picking up some new teas to go with it, i'm sure we can help with that

Dec 18th, '08, 04:37

by xuancheng » Dec 18th, '08, 04:37

I my opinion, you should never press on tea leaves for any reason during the brewing process, it will make the tea bitter.

That being said, you should probably buy the tea press if it is the thing this person really wants. This is a convenient way to make tea, and although I would hate it, the receiver of this gift might hate my tea ware. If you do buy this, you could suggest to the recipient not to press down on the leaf with the plunger, but to just push it down until it was close to the level of the leaves.

Dec 18th, '08, 14:10

by Pucca » Dec 18th, '08, 14:10

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the teapot. I don't get the impression that this person picked this for any specific reason.

+ Post Reply