1989 "88-Ching Beeng" #7542, Dry-storage

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 18th, '08, 12:13

1989 "88-Ching Beeng" #7542, Dry-storage

by Jeremy » Dec 18th, '08, 12:13

I was so very fortunate to have tried some of this cake recently. I am a total new comer to serious vintage puerh, so this was my intro.

The leaves were a brownish copper color and in very good shape.

There was no real smell to the dry tea, but once wet, the leaves had a smell that I could only call age and forest floor, perhaps maybe wood also.

On the first 3 infusions, the taste was good but not super strong. I did get hints of camphor however. (I had never had a tea with the camphor notes before).

Into the 4th and further infusions, there was such a complex taste Im in no way qualified to properly describe, but here goes.

I def had a taste of mushroom, slight Chinese medicine and camphor getting stronger, and tobacco. No bitterness at all, this was the smoothest tea I have tasted. Hui gan was very persistent, the sweetness would start at the end and then just continue down the throat. Mouthfeel wasnt overly coating, but nicely balanced. No mouth dryness.

But as a final note, it was addictive. Later in the evening I could recall the taste so vividly, that I wanted more! Problem is I dont have the small fortune to buy it. But in closing, it is an experience that makes me understand why people are so into this experience.

This tea is also regarded as the benchmark of excellence for dry storage, and the price tag has gone from expensive to astronomical.

Another review of this cake.
http://phyllsheng.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html

Storage conditions of the cake
http://houdeasianart.com/teablog/commen ... 204-125257

Dec 18th, '08, 16:50

by thanks » Dec 18th, '08, 16:50

That was your intro to aged pu-erh!? You are one lucky tea addict! I've still yet to try it :(

Dec 18th, '08, 16:54

by Goose » Dec 18th, '08, 16:54

Jeremy, Very nice report. Thank you.
Jim

Dec 18th, '08, 22:04

by lydia » Dec 18th, '08, 22:04

oh, nice cake, hope I can get one. It is very difficult to get this kind of cake now.

Dec 19th, '08, 08:45

by hop_goblin » Dec 19th, '08, 08:45

Thanks! Good review

Dec 19th, '08, 22:41

by lydia » Dec 19th, '08, 22:41

Asoka1944 wrote:Hi Lydia,
If you are in Guang Dong, aren't you in the best possible place to find such cakes? Perhaps Hong Kong would be even better. I have never been to China, but I want to go there for a visit. BTW, I am *very* lucky to have them. I do *not* have very much Puerh at all at that level of quality.
Best,
Michael
You are right, I can get good cakes from Yunnan directly. I drink shu pu everyday. I have stored some good sheng and shu cakes too. But it is not easy to get this 1989 cake now. I know some Hongkong buyers bought from Yunnan and stored. But the price is now really high for old cake. It is also very interesting that the Hongkong buyers bought the old cakes many years ago and now sell them back to China in a high price. You are lucky to have them. If you come to China, you will find many different kinds of cakes. Welcome to China! :D

+ Post Reply