New customer service rep!

If we've got something important to say, you'll hear it here first.

Mar 13th, '06, 16:19

New customer service rep!

by Richard » Mar 13th, '06, 16:19

Hey, folks. My name is Richard Goodness and I'm the new customer service rep for Adagio Teas. (The job listing on Monster.com called the position "Chief Smile Officer", which is a title that all my friends like; I'm not sure how I feel about it personally.) I'll be the guy who answers all your questions about tea and orders and things like that, and I'll try to be entertaining on the boards as well.

When I'm not drinking tea I am known as a Master's student in English at Seton Hall University, a freelance gaming journalist, or the lead singer for the band King Chef; when I am drinking tea I find myself gravitating to a nice Earl Grey or a rooibos. I do plan on expanding my tea-related horizons, and I think I've picked a good place to do it. (And yeah, I still can't get over how fascinating the IngenuiTEA is.)

It's very nice to meet you all and I look forward to many interested tea-related discussions!

Mar 13th, '06, 16:50

by Marlene » Mar 13th, '06, 16:50

Yay Richard! While no one can replace Chris, and while you managed to snag a job that everybody on the board wanted, we are very happy to meet you! Plus, your last name rocks. :)
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Mar 13th, '06, 16:57

by Richard » Mar 13th, '06, 16:57

I know--I've got some pretty big shoes to fill, but I'm going to do my best!

I like your icon; Beyond Good and Evil is a fantastic game!

Mar 13th, '06, 17:13

by Marlene » Mar 13th, '06, 17:13

Hehehe! It's official! I love you now.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Mar 13th, '06, 17:22

by vbguy772 » Mar 13th, '06, 17:22

Richard,

Welcome ! Best of luck getting used to your new job. Yes, most everyone loved Chris, but we are glad you are here to help us out when needed. Sit back, enjoy a nice cup of tea and try us out with your own brand of humor - I'm sure we will grow to love your sense of style just as much as we did with Chris.

Use your time with Adagio to try all of their great teas. My favorites are Irish Breakfast, Golden Monkey, White Peach and Darjeeling #22.

Happy sipping...............

Ron in Florida

Mar 13th, '06, 19:31

by cess » Mar 13th, '06, 19:31

Welcome Richard. Hope you enjoy your tea and time while here.

:) 'Cess
Tea pot is on, the cups are waiting,
Favorite chairs anticipating,
No matter what I have to do,
My friend there's always time for you.

Anonymous

Mar 14th, '06, 09:26

by klemptor » Mar 14th, '06, 09:26

Welcome, Richard!
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Mar 14th, '06, 09:47

by Richard » Mar 14th, '06, 09:47

Thanks for all the warm welcome, folks. I'll try your recommendations, vbguy. Right now I'm steeping a pu erh and I'm a little nervous about it--every thing I'm hearing about it says you'll either love it or hate it; it's definitely got a distinct smell to it. Wish me luck!

Mar 14th, '06, 20:45

by teaspoon » Mar 14th, '06, 20:45

Welcome, Richard! There's always a smile here for a fellow English scholar. What's your specialty?

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Mar 14th, '06, 21:26

by Richard » Mar 14th, '06, 21:26

I'm mainly creative writing (fiction and drama). For literature, I tend towards British Modernism (I've read Ulysses and understood it!). What I dislike about being a master's student is all the Theory that you have to read, but I do enjoy some of it--mainly Sedgwick and Cixous. We're reading Lacan right now and I quite honestly don't understand a single word of it. And I'm doing a presentation on an article tomorrow that makes no sense to me and I have no idea how I'm going to do it!

Mar 14th, '06, 21:28

by jogrebe » Mar 14th, '06, 21:28

Richard wrote:TRight now I'm steeping a pu erh and I'm a little nervous about it--every thing I'm hearing about it says you'll either love it or hate it; it's definitely got a distinct smell to it. Wish me luck!
Glad to hear that puerh is my favorite tea. What did you think of it?
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 14th, '06, 21:54

by teaspoon » Mar 14th, '06, 21:54

Richard wrote:For literature, I tend towards British Modernism (I've read Ulysses and understood it!).
*convulses*

I don't go past the 15th Century unless I have to. Last year I had to take a required seminar taught by a professor who didn't like to leave the 20th C... that was, er, interesting. Talk about not understanding anything. I was so lost, my eyes just glazed over most days. Occasionally though I found an opportunity to relate what we had read to medieval literature, so the class wasn't totally wasted on me. I applaud you for being able to appreciate Modernist lit. Me? Give me some Chaucer or a book about the Middle Ages and I'm a happy little teaspoon. Certainly makes the Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia make more sense ;).

~teaspoone

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Mar 15th, '06, 03:27

by yresim » Mar 15th, '06, 03:27

Richard wrote:I'm mainly creative writing (fiction and drama). For literature, I tend towards British Modernism (I've read Ulysses and understood it!). What I dislike about being a master's student is all the Theory that you have to read, but I do enjoy some of it
I guess that modernists who don't like theory aren't all bad. As long as you can avoid the phrases "philosophy sucks" and "I hate logic" like a really nasty plague, you and I should get along just fine. :)
Richard wrote:And I'm doing a presentation on an article tomorrow that makes no sense to me and I have no idea how I'm going to do it!
Google the article, and see what others have written about it. I'm not suggesting copying their work! On the contrary: I am suggesting using their work to gain some kind of understanding of the article (which will, in turn, allow you to write something of your own).

This is what I do when I'm stuck writing a paper on a philosopher I just don't "get," and I find it works wonders.
vbguy772 wrote:Use your time with Adagio to try all of their great teas.
Take this recommendation very, very seriously Richard. Really. The cost of trying every single Adagio tea (for someone who doesn't work there) is $344.

What's impressive is the fact that $344 is actually a relatively low figure. Trying every tea at Upton would cost you well over $750, and trying every tea at Holy Mountain would cost you over $1300!

Moral of the story? Work for every single tea company just long enough to try all of their teas. :wink:

~Yresim~
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 15th, '06, 10:20

by Richard » Mar 15th, '06, 10:20

jogrebe: I can see how people would be very easily turned off by the pu erh. I liked it, and I can also see it being an acquired taste. I think it's a little too strong for me to have a cup of today--I've got a little headache--so I'm going to stay with some more traditional teas. Maybe I'll find a nice herbal tea that'll be good for my head.

teaspoon--I convulse at medieval lit! I had my Introduction to Theory class last semester taught by a hardcore medievalist. She's a fantastic professor, but she'd relate everything to the Canterbury Tales (the Wife of Bath's Tale was the first non-critical thing we read in the class).

yresim: I can't say I've never trashed philosophy, but it's mainly when I've had a lot of confusing reading. Derrida and Lacan, I must say, have never gotten a good word out of my mouth. We're reading The Purloined Poe right now (a collection of essays all about The Purloined Letter, all of which base from Derrida's reading of Lacan's reading of the story) and it's destroying me. That's what my presentation is on--one of the essays. I reread it last night and made notes, and we mainly just have to summarize and talk about the article, so it's nothing too heavy.

And don't worry, folks. I plan on trying all of the teas here. It's a very nice motivation to go into work: those days where it's really pretty or really nasty outside, when I just wanna snuggle in bed with my stuffed zebra, I can picture myself saying, "I can't hit snooze! I still have to try Foxtrot!"

Mar 15th, '06, 10:35

by teaspoon » Mar 15th, '06, 10:35

w00t Wife of Bath rocks, but the Franklin rocks harder!

~tsp

I am the size of 1 tsp.

+ Post Reply