Need sweet tea recommendation.

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Need sweet tea recommendation.

Postby specialt » Mar 10th, '06, 13:51

I recently placed an order with adagio and have not yet received my shipment. After reading these posts I can't wait. My first loose leaf tea experience was with the Aveda tea samples they give you at the Aveda store. I bought some and took it home with a press I bought from Target. I have now found out why the tea is bitter(the press). I have also purchased the inginuiTEA to solve that issue. I wanted recommendations from the experts here on a tea that is sweet without sugar. The Aveda tea is sweet withous sugar and mostly contains licorice root. Adagio does not sell a licorice root based tea.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.
specialt

Postby rhpot1991 » Mar 10th, '06, 14:22

You can try stevia. I got some dried loose leaf stevia from here:
http://www.dragonwater.com/product_detail...

But I have yet to give it a good try and see if I like it (I don't feel that its a good idea adding it to new teas that I am unfamiliar with)

-John
rhpot1991

Postby specialt » Mar 10th, '06, 15:37

OK. I bought the stevia. It sounds really interesting. Thank you.
specialt

Postby garden gal » Mar 10th, '06, 22:31

I really like the extracted powdered stevia better than the leaves. I thought the leaves were just a little bitter but maybe I just haven't tested with them enough.
garden gal

Postby jogrebe » Mar 10th, '06, 23:03

garden gal wrote:I really like the extracted powdered stevia better than the leaves. I thought the leaves were just a little bitter but maybe I just haven't tested with them enough.

In my experience stevia can taste a bit bitter if you use too much, so I'd say try using less to see if it gets any better. A little bit does it, I found that a tiny bit on the tip of a spoon handle is more than enough for most cups of tea.
jogrebe

Postby garden gal » Mar 11th, '06, 09:51

For my clarity cup, I use (to the best of my figuring)- 1/64 tsp. I have an 1/8 tsp but I only use just the tip of it so after dividing it into 1/4s visually- I use 1/2 of the 1/4 section of a 1/8 tsp- I come up with 1/64? I think since you do use such a little amount-(with cookies I substitute 1 tsp for 1 cup of sugar) that sometimes it is hard to use leaves for smaller cup quanities. When I had it fresh outside, I would boil the water, put peppermint leaves and 2 stevia leaves for a quart pot.
garden gal

Re: Need sweet tea recommendation.

Postby Molly » Mar 15th, '06, 12:02

specialt wrote:I wanted recommendations from the experts here on a tea that is sweet without sugar. The Aveda tea is sweet withous sugar and mostly contains licorice root. Adagio does not sell a licorice root based tea.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Try adagio's Dewy Cherry herbal. I make my iced tea with it and find it sweet and tangy enough that I don't need to add sugar. Of course, that could be because I make a double batch and let it chill in the fridge instead of adding ice. I think the ice dilutes the flavor too much once it has melted.
Molly

Sweet tea, yum!

Postby drachedame » Mar 21st, '06, 21:54

I've found that the flavored rooibos teas are good without sugar and great with a drop of honey-hot or cold. My personal favorite being the rooibos peach. Most the fruit herbals on adagio's website are good without sugar but take some getting use to hot. However; they are wonderful cold.
drachedame

Postby garden gal » Mar 23rd, '06, 09:13

Boy, do I agree with that statement. I almost gave away my white peach until I tasted it cold- delicious!!!
I think all the white fruit teas are wonderful cold- they are almost sweet in themselves.
If you are talking about trying to find a traditional southern lipton type sweet tea replacement- someone suggested assam harmony on an earlier thread. My husband only drinks lipton-type sweet tea but I was going to try to sneak loose leaf in slowly. It's been great having him drink up all the bagged in the house but eventually I would like to get him weaned over to loose leaf.
garden gal

Postby keelyn » Mar 28th, '06, 13:20

Iwould suggest white peach or apricot green. I drink all my tea without sweeteners and those are the sweetest.
keelyn

Instant Messenger

Permissions