Monday TeaDay 12/22/08 Blending teas.

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. With all the talk lately about "Signature Blends," have you created one, more than one, many, ... none ... or maybe just created your own blends for your own enjoyment?

I have created a Signature Blend
3%
I have created more than one Signature Blend
8%
I have both created at least one Signature Blend and created blends for my own enjoyment
11%
I have not created a Signature Blend, but do blend on my own for my own enjoyment
24%
No blending here
47%
Other
6%

Total votes: 62

Dec 22nd, '08, 16:13

by leiche » Dec 22nd, '08, 16:13

I made a blend and promptly forgot about it. Oh, well.

I'm having a rather exhausting day after yesterday's snow extravaganza, and warming up with a cup of Rishi's Organic Wuyi. Nothing special, but at least it's tea.

Dec 22nd, '08, 17:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '08, 17:03

Fukamushi Supreme from O-Cha is currently in my cup. Yum!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 22nd, '08, 17:42

by Pentox » Dec 22nd, '08, 17:42

Sencha Harebare from Lupicia today for me. I'm just not feeling the fuka today. Switching to some ceylon silver stripe from Tao of Tea.

Dec 22nd, '08, 19:09

by traydoll » Dec 22nd, '08, 19:09

Yamamotoyama jasmine tea bags at work, 2 cups so far

i've never blended but am interested in trying it...i drink a lot of chamomile and i could see myself adding dried rose petals/lavender to it

Dec 22nd, '08, 21:28

by Ron Gilmour » Dec 22nd, '08, 21:28

I've never blended and I guess I don't have a lot of interest in it. To me the individual qualities of the teas are just so interesting that I hate to mess with them.

Today I've been downing large quantities of Makaibari Estate FTGFOP1S 2nd Flush. It's a nice enough second flush Darjeeling, but isn't really special enough that I would be likely to buy it again. On the plus side, it's organic and fair trade.

Dec 22nd, '08, 22:39

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '08, 22:39

Tried a new tea from a newer vendor this evening. Japanese Green Tea Shop's Organic Yabe Kumamoto, from the Yabe district of Kumamoto prefecture on the island of Kyushu. I think this is Chumushicha, midsteamed.

I am thinking that organics/JAS are improving from Japan which can't be a bad thing. I had 2 very good orgnics this harvest. This may be the best organic I have had, not sure since this was first try. The taste was very good and very different.

Then Matcha, Sweetie liked.

Currently coming to the end of a Sencha Karigane session, love this stuff.

A great TeaDay, again. Hope yours was as well.

Dec 22nd, '08, 22:52

by laran7 » Dec 22nd, '08, 22:52

When my son was little he had terrible migraines and i tried very hard to blend a tea that he could drink that would be comforting, settling for his stomach and his head - and tasty. I just dug up the old emptied out spice jar that I kept his blend in. It was: rosemary, anise, ginko, nettle and white willow.
It was something between an incantation and a prayer -
I don't remember what the nettle was there for - and the jar is full of green cardamon now.

I've learned quite a bit by experimenting and comparing
and blending different teas and spices. I'm not too fond of chai. I love to add fresh mint. I've tried roasting grains ( I like roasted rice "tea" sometimes with cinnamon)

I haven't been posting much because i have learned that i have a lot to learn - and i'm reading about the greens lately and trying them out for the first time ( the good ones or at least better stuff than I had). (Two small cups of gyokuro, made in my yxing teapot today)

Thanks for the memories.

Dec 22nd, '08, 23:14

by auggy » Dec 22nd, '08, 23:14

Just finished a cup of mirik valley from ToT. Now having fresh made potato, broccoli and cheese soup. Sooo good. Good tea and food day today.

Dec 22nd, '08, 23:32

by murrius » Dec 22nd, '08, 23:32

I like to blend Japanese greens. I started with Hatsumi and Chiran Supreme and now I can't stop.

Stop me before I blend again!

Japanese green blend this morning and finished the day with a darjeeling.

Dec 22nd, '08, 23:38

by murrius » Dec 22nd, '08, 23:38

laran7 wrote:When my son was little he had terrible migraines and i tried very hard to blend a tea that he could drink that would be comforting, settling for his stomach and his head - and tasty. I just dug up the old emptied out spice jar that I kept his blend in. It was: rosemary, anise, ginko, nettle and white willow.
It was something between an incantation and a prayer
Having to watch your child suffer is one of the hardest things that life can throw at you. I hope your tea blend helped him; I know that your love for him, made manifest in your searching for a soothing tea, certainly would have helped a great deal.

Peace.

Dec 22nd, '08, 23:42

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '08, 23:42

laran7 wrote:When my son was little he had terrible migraines and i tried very hard to blend a tea that he could drink that would be comforting, settling for his stomach and his head - and tasty. I just dug up the old emptied out spice jar that I kept his blend in. It was: rosemary, anise, ginko, nettle and white willow.
It was something between an incantation and a prayer -
I don't remember what the nettle was there for - and the jar is full of green cardamon now.

I've learned quite a bit by experimenting and comparing
and blending different teas and spices. I'm not too fond of chai. I love to add fresh mint. I've tried roasting grains ( I like roasted rice "tea" sometimes with cinnamon)

I haven't been posting much because i have learned that i have a lot to learn - and i'm reading about the greens lately and trying them out for the first time ( the good ones or at least better stuff than I had). (Two small cups of gyokuro, made in my yxing teapot today)

Thanks for the memories.
Thanks for sharing with us. I hope the story ends well?

About to have some home roasted and blended Mugi/Genmai, tasty. Yeah, not true tea, but Japanese inspired, so it is all good! 8)

Dec 22nd, '08, 23:44

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '08, 23:44

murrius wrote:I like to blend Japanese greens. I started with Hatsumi and Chiran Supreme and now I can't stop.

Stop me before I blend again!

Japanese green blend this morning and finished the day with a darjeeling.
Don't stop now!!! I really like blending Japanese teas as well. :D

Dec 23rd, '08, 00:21

by JP » Dec 23rd, '08, 00:21

I haven't started blending yet, but I will give it a whirl sometime.

Dec 23rd, '08, 00:27

by Dash-2 » Dec 23rd, '08, 00:27

Just getting into tea, so hoping to try out lots before creating my own. =D

Dec 23rd, '08, 05:42

by laran7 » Dec 23rd, '08, 05:42

[quote="Chip"][Thanks for sharing with us. I hope the story ends well?[quote]

It does - He needed some orthodontry but as soon as his teeth were fixed - the migraines gradually stopped. It was overwhelming at the time -

(I'm following the Thread about green tea)
( also thank you Murrious)