Do rooibos fans usually like the Foxtrot?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Mar 16th, '06, 14:53

Do rooibos fans usually like the Foxtrot?

by specialt » Mar 16th, '06, 14:53

I recently purchased the herbal sampler and initially thought I liked the foxtrot. Then the second cup almost made me ill. I have not tried any other rooibos but love peppermint and chamomile So it would have to be the rooibos that did not sit well? I have a rooibos sampler on it's way(ordered before I tried the Foxtrot). Could it be that I just don't like rooibos or is it better with just one flavor and not blended? I know I prefer sweet and rooibos is generally described as having a sweet taste.

Mar 16th, '06, 15:04

by Richard » Mar 16th, '06, 15:04

I tried Foxtrot this morning and liked it very much. I know I generally like flavors with rooibos--my favorite Adagio tea is the mango rooibos. It might just be the three (rooibos, peppermint, chamomile) in combination that you don't like. I'd wait to try the sampler before judging rooibos, though I assume you were going to do that anyway.

We have a tea called cha-cha which is similar to the foxtrot, but instead of rooibos it contains lemongrass. You might want to try that one; it's very good.

Mar 17th, '06, 06:32

by marz910 » Mar 17th, '06, 06:32

I like rooibos teas, my favorite being rooibos vanilla, but don't care for foxtrot. I found the peppermint to be to strong for me. SO now I make my own varitey useing spearimint instead of the peppermint and it works out to my likeing.

Mar 17th, '06, 07:10

Re: Do rooibos fans usually like the Foxtrot?

by yresim » Mar 17th, '06, 07:10

specialt wrote:I recently purchased the herbal sampler and initially thought I liked the foxtrot. Then the second cup almost made me ill.
So, you seemed to like the first cup, right?

But the second one was nasty? Or it made you sick for some other reason (e.g., tummy ache)?

If it was nasty, you might want to look at how you made it. Was there any difference between how you made the first one and how you made the second one? Contrary to popular belief, many herbal teas can be oversteeped. If, for example, you waited a few minutes after the water boiled before adding it to your tea the first time, but added it immediately the second time, this could produce a different flavor.

If it gave you a tummy ache, it could very easily be the combination. I have a very sensitive stomach, and I notice drastic differences between separate items and items when they are mixed.

In the former case (nasty taste), I would give it a third try, being sure to steep as close as you did to the first time as possible. If the latter case (tummy ache), you might want to try it again (very carefully), but you could also just avoid it altogether.

Either way, you should be safe trying the rooibos when it arrives. Just do so with caution. :)

~Yresim~

P.S. Incidentally, doesn't the herbal sampler include rooibos jasmine? In which case, couldn't you try that and see what you think of it? Or do you not like jasmine?
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Mar 17th, '06, 09:11

by teaspoon » Mar 17th, '06, 09:11

Foxtrot does seem to be hit-or-miss; people seem to either love it or hate it. I'm one of those who love it. By the same token, I don't much care for plain rooibos. Flavored rooibos, oh yeah, but not so much the regular, plain old, nothing added rooibos. So I agree that it may just be the combination that you don't like. It's definitely unique.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Sep 26th, '06, 10:11

by Madam Potts » Sep 26th, '06, 10:11

I recently journeyed into the world of Rooibos. I like my rooibos to be moe spicy/creamy/nutty vs floral or sweet.

So to that: I found I liked the Caramel Creme and Spicy Nuts from www.essencha.com but did not like the Foxtrot or the Mango Rooibos.

Like everything, it's all in what you prefer....
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

+ Post Reply