2003 Dayi Yiwu Arbor

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 27th, '08, 20:05

2003 Dayi Yiwu Arbor

by JAS-eTea Guy » Dec 27th, '08, 20:05

Trying out a sample of 2003 Dayi Yiwu Arbor that I got from Pu-erh Shop.
The beeng material had a brownish red hue to it before steeping. Based on the rinses, I decided to do the early infusions with very short infusion times. I used 0, 0, 3, 3, 5, 5, so far and the color is a deep rich reddish amber with great clarity. This one is going to go a long way. Taste of plums with sweetness far outweighing any astringency but enough astringency to make you salivate while you sip it.

Astringency - slight
Smoke - a fair amount giving a decidedly tobacco nose to the infusions
Dryness- slight
Mouthfeel - silky smooth and buttery
Hui gan - pleasant
Flavor - sweet plums backed with leather
Aroma - earthy, sweet, plums
Overall value - good
Purchase again - Possibly, but I have so many others to try. This was one I really enjoyed though.

Dec 27th, '08, 20:09

by tenuki » Dec 27th, '08, 20:09

Ya, that ones a good cake. I almost ordered another last PS order. Heads up, there are several of us here who are convinced Jim meant to say 'wet stored', not dry stored.. ;)
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 27th, '08, 20:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Dec 27th, '08, 20:34

tenuki wrote: Ya, that ones a good cake.
Well, that clinches it: I definitely need to use more leaf with this one!

Dec 27th, '08, 20:36

by JAS-eTea Guy » Dec 27th, '08, 20:36

Meant to post this in the Pu of the day thread. Apologies all.

Dec 28th, '08, 14:38

by edkrueger » Dec 28th, '08, 14:38

Very wet stored and has the wet stored astringent plum taste. Its ok, but for less there are better Yiwu cakes out there.

Dec 28th, '08, 15:36

by tenuki » Dec 28th, '08, 15:36

edkrueger wrote:Its ok, but for less there are better Yiwu cakes out there.
disagree, it's a good value for the quality IMO. 'Better' in the puerh world is always a subjective thing as everyone has different tastes.
Last edited by tenuki on Dec 28th, '08, 16:34, edited 2 times in total.

Dec 28th, '08, 16:06

by JAS-eTea Guy » Dec 28th, '08, 16:06

edkrueger wrote:Very wet stored and has the wet stored astringent plum taste. Its ok, but for less there are better Yiwu cakes out there.
For me the astringency was very low compared to the sweetness. But as always these things fall into the YMMV category.

I am very interested in your opinion about better Yiwu cakes out there. Always appreciate other opinions.

Dec 28th, '08, 16:23

by tenuki » Dec 28th, '08, 16:23

netsurfr wrote:
edkrueger wrote:Very wet stored and has the wet stored astringent plum taste. Its ok, but for less there are better Yiwu cakes out there.
I am very interested in your opinion about better Yiwu cakes out there. Always appreciate other opinions.

He's probably gonna say the 2005 Ming-Yuan Hao Yi-Wu Wild Old Tree Cake from Hou De and I would agree that is one fine cake, I own two of them one to drink now, one to wait 20 years on, and considered getting a tong. It's also cheaper at ~30 bucks. Unfortunately it looks like he's currently sold out. :( But you can still get a sample.

The 2003 Keyixing Yiwu Pu-erh Tea Cake from puershop is also pretty popular around here, I'm not so impressed as everyone, but it's good and about $40.

I have but haven't tasted the 2006 Douji Yiwu Mountain Arbor, let me do that and get back to you. My limited experience with Douji has been that they are top shelf without exception. Anyone tasted that?

I would like more recommends too please, I like me some YiWu old tree!

Dec 28th, '08, 16:46

by brandon » Dec 28th, '08, 16:46

tenuki wrote: I have but haven't tasted the 2006 Douji Yiwu Mountain Arbor, let me do that and get back to you. My limited experience with Douji has been that they are top shelf without exception. Anyone tasted that?
Yeah, Salsero and I both have notes here. I liked it, and I also liked the two 50g mini bricks, but I would have to look somewhere else to validate the "top shelf" label. Perhaps the more expensive Eco beeng is where its at.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=7032

Dec 28th, '08, 16:53

by vibrantdragon » Dec 28th, '08, 16:53

In 2003 almost all of the best leaves from Yiwu area was taken by the government for a special anniversary tea. I would not expect the 2003 Yiwu cakes to be of great quality. The other area will have better tea for that area.
Vibrant Dragon

Dec 28th, '08, 17:04

by Salsero » Dec 28th, '08, 17:04

brandon wrote: Yeah, Salsero and I both have notes here. I liked it, and I also liked the two 50g mini bricks, but I would have to look somewhere else to validate the "top shelf" label. Perhaps the more expensive Eco beeng is where its at.
Edkreuger also has a short note in there on the Dadou and Shandao mini bricks, which I have but have not tasted yet. I tasted the 2007 Douji Eco Ancient Tree the other night and was a bit underwhelmed, esp given the $43 price tag. To be fair, though, I was pretty sick with sinusitis that night so it may be better than my notes suggest. The price, however, will not go down no matter how much healthier I get! :lol:

vibrantdragon wrote: In 2003 almost all of the best leaves from Yiwu area was taken by the government for a special anniversary tea.
That's a valuable piece of information! Thanks.

Dec 28th, '08, 18:13

by edkrueger » Dec 28th, '08, 18:13

tenuki wrote:
netsurfr wrote:

He's probably gonna say the 2005 Ming-Yuan Hao Yi-Wu Wild Old Tree Cake from Hou De and I would agree that is one fine cake, I own two of them one to drink now, one to wait 20 years on, and considered getting a tong. It's also cheaper at ~30 bucks. Unfortunately it looks like he's currently sold out. :( But you can still get a sample.

The 2003 Keyixing Yiwu Pu-erh Tea Cake from puershop is also pretty popular around here, I'm not so impressed as everyone, but it's good and about $40.

I have but haven't tasted the 2006 Douji Yiwu Mountain Arbor, let me do that and get back to you. My limited experience with Douji has been that they are top shelf without exception. Anyone tasted that?

That is the one! I has getting ready to buy a tong too.

Jan 11th, '09, 14:45

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jan 11th, '09, 14:45

tenuki wrote:
netsurfr wrote:

Thanks! That was some really good feedback.
Good tea drinking,
Steve

+ Post Reply