Is Rooibos the same thing as "bush tea"?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jun 8th, '05, 15:23
Mod/Admin

Is Rooibos the same thing as "bush tea"?

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 15:23

I've been reading a book set in Botswana and the characters are often drinking bush tea.Is Rooibos the same thing as bush tea?
Thanks!

Kim White

Jun 8th, '05, 15:24
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 15:24

Kim--

Thanks for the post.

# For those other readers who may not know, the book(s) that Kim is referring to is "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" a wonderful mystery series by former law author Alexander McCall Smith.*

This is indeed the same thing... Rooibos has had more names that Sean "Puffy" Combs! Its scientific name is Aspalathus Linearis, but it is also called Red tea, Bush tea and Redbush tea. When first discovered, botanist Carl Humberg called it "Mountain tea." At an herbal store, you'll probably find it under the name Herbal Allergy tea (due to its natural abilities to fight allergies). In Asia, where it is hugely popular, it is known as Long Life Tea, due to the anti-aging benefits it seems to provide.

For many more interesting facts and ideas about Rooibos, please check out my May 2004 article in TeaMuse:

http://www.teamuse.com

Chris
Adagio Maestro
(and Rooibos aficionado)

Sep 21st, '05, 01:34

by aptivapeople » Sep 21st, '05, 01:34

are you sure that bush tea isn't meaning Honey bush? Its very similer to rooibos. ive been rather hoping adagio would get some actually.

Mar 18th, '06, 18:44

by Donna » Mar 18th, '06, 18:44

McCall Smith's books were the entire reason i searched out Rooibos tea and tried it. It's a godsend for me since I'm caffine sensitive but can't make it through the day without a lots of tea (6-8cups). At this point probably 3/4 of the "tea" i drink is rooibos based.

I am interested though in what's the difference botanically between Rooibos and Honey bush. I've had, and enjoyed honey bush too.
Donna

yet another tea junkie...

drinking tea only for one's health is equivalent to owning pets because petting them lowers blood pressure

Apr 23rd, '06, 13:38

by MarshalN » Apr 23rd, '06, 13:38

Just to confuse things, there is a variety of Chinese tea called "Dancong" which translates into "single bush". It's an oolong, and nothing like Rooibos.

+ Post Reply