Very confused about "osmanthus"

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Mar 21st, '06, 20:38

Very confused about "osmanthus"

by drachedame » Mar 21st, '06, 20:38

:? Ok, I'm confused, I thought I tried every herbal tea known to mankind and here I see the teabags in the "herbal" section called osmanthus. Can anyone tell me what kind of herb that is and most important, does it have caffine? And what does it taste like?
Don't destroy today what can be saved for tomorrow.

Mar 22nd, '06, 05:18

by illium » Mar 22nd, '06, 05:18

osmanthus is a small yellow flower from china. it's very fragrant and has a strong sweet, rich, smell and flavour. it is used like jasmine flowers to scent tea. during the drying phase, it's laid in with the tea leaves, and they absorb it's scent.

i have never seen it sold as a tea by itself. sometimes it's included with the tea. you will see small yellow dried flowers with the leaves.

it's a wonderful flavour, and i definately suggest trying it if you haven't. jasmine tea is good, but osmanthus tea is much stronger, richer, and sweeter of a flavour.

hope that helps,
troy
Troy Howard aka Da Tong (大筒), Fine Chinese Tea Sales
Happy Panda Tea Co. 快乐熊猫茶司 (KuaiLe XiongMao ChaSi)
Portland, Oregon
illium37@yahoo.com (email me for more info!)

Mar 22nd, '06, 15:00

by Molly » Mar 22nd, '06, 15:00

illium wrote:it's a wonderful flavour, and i definately suggest trying it if you haven't. jasmine tea is good, but osmanthus tea is much stronger, richer, and sweeter of a flavour.
Ooohh...thanks for the info about the tea! Looks like I won't be able to ignore your glowing recommendation. I'll have to remember to add it to my next order.
Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.

~Thich Nat Hahn~

Aug 13th, '06, 22:42

by hovid2006 » Aug 13th, '06, 22:42

Osmanthus Fragrans is olive flower used to provide a unique and delightful taste. It is added to this Ho Yan Hor Green Tea.

+ Post Reply