Hello there tea people!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jan 5th, '09, 23:27

Hello there tea people!

by danibob » Jan 5th, '09, 23:27

Hi, my name is Dani.. I'm a 23 yr old college student on Long Island. I came across this forum while searching for loose tea recommendations. Here's my story..

I've been getting into tea for the past year or so. Up until now I've been mainly a coffee drinker but I'm trying to wean myself off of it. Store bought teabags just weren't cutting it anymore (especially the green tea) so I took a trip to my mall's Teavana for loose tea. My suspicions about this place were confirmed once I read up about it, because their tea is kinda meh. So I'm looking for new places to get good quality tea.

I'm very into green tea. Being a coffee person, I'm lured by the fancy flavored teas but I always seem to go back to green. So, what are some good quality green (Japanese) teas for a noob? Keep in mind I'm a broke college student, however I splurge now and again.

Also, I read that kyusus are good for green teas. Should I invest in one?

Thanks for taking time to help out a tea newbie. Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Jan 6th, '09, 00:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 6th, '09, 00:06

Hi Dani! You speak my language!!! Welcome to TeaChat. If you look under the Green Tea section, you will see a LOT of Japanese green tea topics. The Shincha one will hit on a lot of vendors and is right at the top, although shincha is over for now til Spring. But still lots of great Japanese teas available all year.

Definitely sencha is a good place to start. And definitely score a kyusu as soon as possible. I think everyone here knows my fave vendor is O-Cha. They have a few cheaper first flush sencha that I think are exceptional. Chiran Supreme, Kabusecha are 2 good ones to start with there.

Our host has Sencha Premier that is quite good this year and they do offer a sample size.

I hope to see you posting! And visit TeaDay and share what is in your cup.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 6th, '09, 00:19

by Victoria » Jan 6th, '09, 00:19

Welcome!
Maybe give oolongs a try while you are waiting for Shincha.
:wink:

Jan 6th, '09, 00:28

by Proinsias » Jan 6th, '09, 00:28

Welcome to TeaChat!

I've not ordered from them myself, I'm the other side of the pond, but I've many people on here rave about the value of DensTea.com. Dirt cheap kyusus and a sampler pack for a few dollars which you get back if you reorder.
Last edited by Proinsias on Jan 6th, '09, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 6th, '09, 06:24

by Trey Winston » Jan 6th, '09, 06:24

Welcome :D
Trey

Jan 6th, '09, 10:49

by olivierco » Jan 6th, '09, 10:49

Welcome!

Jan 6th, '09, 11:57

by disillusioned » Jan 6th, '09, 11:57

Welcome Welcome

Jan 6th, '09, 13:49

by chamekke » Jan 6th, '09, 13:49

Hi Dani! If you want to explore Japanese green teas and teawares, the suggestions by Chip and Proinsias are very good.

I definitely encourage you to buy a kyusu if you can manage it. Aside from being the vessel for making sencha, they are also extremely appealing teapots in their own right. I still get a little bit of a thrill each time I use one :)

Quite a few folks here are Japanese green fans (Chip is our informal champion and flagbearer BTW), so there is lots of great advice to be had if you need some specific tips.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jan 6th, '09, 14:40

by danibob » Jan 6th, '09, 14:40

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! I will certainly be checking out o-cha and might even make a purchase after I get my next pay check. :)

Jan 6th, '09, 14:42

by olivierco » Jan 6th, '09, 14:42

I forgot to mention how great your avatar is!

Jan 6th, '09, 15:17

by Shelob » Jan 6th, '09, 15:17

Chip wrote: Our host has Sencha Premier that is quite good this year and they do offer a sample size.

I hope to see you posting! And visit TeaDay and share what is in your cup.
Ditto
+1 I have the sample size and am planning to order more 8)

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

Jan 6th, '09, 23:44

by danibob » Jan 6th, '09, 23:44

I'm happy to say I made my first purchase from o-cha! It was on the pricey side but I figure it'll be well worth it. Since I am, however, stuck with Teavana's sencha for now. Bleh.

I know I can't post links yet so I'll just name what I bought, based on recommendations and reviews:

Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori
Chiran Sencha "Supreme"
Shizuoka Green Tea Daily Sencha (for a cheaper, everyday sencha)

and the Tokoname Teapot #KI703.

I'm excited! :D

I want to try gyokuro but it was all very pricey. Maybe when more funds come in and I've honed my brewing skills.

Jan 6th, '09, 23:50

by Chip » Jan 6th, '09, 23:50

Shuweeet. You keep speaking my language. :wink:

O-Cha's Yutaka Midori is my fave sencha of all time (10 years since I started drinking tea). Congrats on a great order. Be sure to keep us informed. There are discussions on these teas under Green Teas.

Jan 6th, '09, 23:51

by Chip » Jan 6th, '09, 23:51

olivierco wrote:I forgot to mention how great your avatar is!
Well, of course, that is Pentox's avie!!! Yours is quite the opposite. :twisted:

+ Post Reply