Icead tea makers

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Mar 30th, '06, 08:43

Icead tea makers

by greentealady » Mar 30th, '06, 08:43

Hi I am new to this chat and so excited I found it. I lok forward to learning and sharing all we can about the wonders of tea. I need some help my hubby just got dx w/high cholesterol. I am a firm believer mine is so low because of my diet and my love of tea. He dosent like hot drinks so I would like to send iced tea with him to work. I know it is a little cheezy but I bought an iced tea maker. Does anyone have any experience or advice with these machines? I made my first batch and it came out ok but got really cloudy in the fridge. I used a lemon flavored black tea. Thanks for your advice and hope you all have a great day.

Mar 30th, '06, 10:08

by klemptor » Mar 30th, '06, 10:08

I don't know what kind of iced tea maker it is that you've purchased (I'd hazard a guess at the ingenuiTEA but I don't know). However, you may find this thread helpful:

Why does Iced Tea Cloud Up?
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Mar 30th, '06, 10:19

Iced tea maker

by greentealady » Mar 30th, '06, 10:19

Thanks for your reply. I think I did put it in the fridge too early and this is why it clouded. I am embaressed to say it but it is a Mrcoffee iced tea maker that I have, is that sad or what. I am unfamiliar with the one you mentioned.

Mar 30th, '06, 10:29

by klemptor » Mar 30th, '06, 10:29

If you wanted to check it out, the ingenuiTEA can be seen here. It's sold by Adagio Teas, which is the company that runs this board.

Mar 30th, '06, 10:30

by klemptor » Mar 30th, '06, 10:30

I'd never heard of the Mr. Coffee iced tea maker before but I googled it - don't be embarrassed, it looks nice!

Mar 30th, '06, 11:05

by jogrebe » Mar 30th, '06, 11:05

I used to use a Mr. Coffee ice tea maker all the time, although now I only use it with certain types of teas. If you are going to be using black tea with a bit of lemon and sugar than it will work fine for you. Just watch out adding leamon to the tea when you make it, especially if you are using artificial sweetener as I've had them somewhow react causing some white stuff to appear overnight that makes the whole thing taste awful and need to be thrown out. As to lighter teas such as Green, Oolong and White, if I make ice tea with them I simply brew them in my largest teapot and then let them cool to room temperature before pouring them into a pitcher and putting it into the refrigerator to cool overnight, as the Mr. Coffee maker will overbrew them till they are bitter.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 30th, '06, 11:25

by LavenderPekoe » Mar 30th, '06, 11:25

It seems there are new Mr Coffee Iced tea makers that you can change the strength on. They actually look decent.
Teas for trade:

Mar 30th, '06, 11:32

by teamuse » Mar 30th, '06, 11:32

I've had good luck with a Mr. Coffee tea maker for black tea... like others have said...let it cool before putting it in the fridge.

I also know folks that use the carafe to hold sugar/sweetner and let the hot tea melt it before adding the ice...most awesome sweet tea.

Mar 30th, '06, 17:19

by Carnelian » Mar 30th, '06, 17:19

Don't be embarrassed, mr coffee iced tea (oxymoron) makers are perfectly fine for someone who just wants iced tea with minimal hassle. We keep one around the house for during the summer
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

+ Post Reply