How to Make Genmaicha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 20th, '08, 10:57

How to Make Genmaicha

by JM » Oct 20th, '08, 10:57

Anyone make their own Genmaicha?

1. Spread a thin layer of brown rice into a medium sized pan. The thin layer will ensure even toasting of the rice grains.
2. Place the pan onto a stovetop burner and turn the heat to a low to medium setting. Toast the rice until it takes on a dark brown color and emits a nutty, toasted aroma. Depending upon heat and pan, toasting time can vary, but it generally does not exceed much over five minutes. Do not leave the rice unattended because it can burn quickly.
3. Cool the rice on a plate when it is done. Then place the rice inside of a container for storage. Toast more rice if desired.
4. Determine how much genmaicha you want to brew. One tablespoon of toasted brown rice will produce one strong cup of tea. Experiment with these amounts to suit your preference. Place the desired amount of rice inside of a tea sieve along with green tea leaves. One teaspoon of green tea leaves will produce one cup of tea.
5. Heat water in a nonreactive pot to a temperature of about 180°F. Plunge the tea sieve into the water once it is ready. However, if you are brewing just one cup, place the tea sieve into an empty mug and then pour the hot water into the mug. Steep for approximately three minutes.
6. Remove tea sieve and place aside. Pour genmaicha into a cup or mug.
7. Enjoy.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Genmaicha-or-Brown-Rice-Tea

Oct 20th, '08, 16:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 20th, '08, 16:16

I have roasted several Japanese green teas, but have not ventured this far. I wonder what rice to use?

My next venture will be roating some barley to make Mugicha. I received a few samples from Sarah, and she did some roasting. The one she bought seemed almost too roasted. The later steeps smelled like coffee, but tasted quite good.

I would like to try making my own genmaicha. I bet it can be pan fired as well, just keep it moving NONSTOP!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 21st, '08, 09:45

by JM » Oct 21st, '08, 09:45

I'm going to try using long grain brown rice, maybe the stuff from India...

What kind of Green should I use?

I also have buckwheat at home so I'll try that as well.

Oct 21st, '08, 09:57

by Chip » Oct 21st, '08, 09:57

I would use a 2nd flush sencha or higher quality bancha. Sencha Premier from Adagio or Daily Sencha from O-Cha are both good choices, I have done some roasting with them. The rice will tend to cover up the tea flavor, so no point using an expensive sencha.

For genmaicha, you can keep the tea green or lightly roast it as well. I have see it both ways. If you keep it green, adding a little matcha is yet another option

Oct 22nd, '08, 23:11

by teasbest » Oct 22nd, '08, 23:11

Can this method of using roasted brown rice be used with a Chinese green tea?

If so, which Chinese greens would be better?

Oct 22nd, '08, 23:35

by Chip » Oct 22nd, '08, 23:35

In a word, experiment. I would think you could, especially with flatter leaf like Long Jing.

I got some organic barley today, hope to make my own mugicha.

Oct 26th, '08, 21:48

by JM » Oct 26th, '08, 21:48

Tonight I decided to make up some Genaicha.

I dry roasted the rice, a few did pop like popcorn, and it was very quick and easy. The smell of the rice roasting was heavenly; after they cooled on a plate for a few minutes I eat a few, very tasty. Adding a teaspoon of a the rice to the infuser I poured boiling water over the rice and let the water cool for three minutes, added a bag of cheap green tea and let it steep for three more. I stored the rest of the rice in an airtight container for latter use.

This was my first time trying anything like Genmaicha and really love the roasted rice taste.

peace,

j
PS: I'd drink brown rice tea without the green tea added. Smooth.

Oct 26th, '08, 22:08

by Chip » Oct 26th, '08, 22:08

Very interesting, JM. What rice did you use. I will try this as well. Thanks for inspiring us with your "experiment." I was wondering about just the toasted rice as a completely caffeine free evening drink. I hear this about barley, but never about rice. :?: :arrow:

Oct 27th, '08, 09:39

by JM » Oct 27th, '08, 09:39

The roasted rice is the first flavour that hits the palate. I'm using a sub-par Sencha and I find the rice to initially overpower the tea but then as I swallow, I catch a hit of the Sencha, like an after thought.

It's very pleasing.

I used regular whole grain, long grain brown rice. It was inexpensive.

Jan 12th, '09, 22:44

by Yakubovich » Jan 12th, '09, 22:44

Have you had any success with the buckwheat?

I'm a big fan of buckwheat and genmaicha, so if the two can be successfully combined, I would definitely try making some.

Jan 12th, '09, 22:51

by Chip » Jan 12th, '09, 22:51

I roast the buckwheat pretty dark and do blend it with mugi and genmai with excellent results. 8)

Really cheap brew!!!

Welcome to TeaChat, BTW!

Sep 16th, '12, 22:51

Re: How to Make Genmaicha

by riccaicedo » Sep 16th, '12, 22:51

Genmaicha isn't made with brown rice, it just looks that way after roasting. Traditionally, it was made with mochi rice, now normal Japanese white rice is used.

I don't want to look like a spammer but I posted this link to my blog before, hopefully it helps:
Last edited by Chip on Sep 16th, '12, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: Link removed for forum rules violation. Please read forum rules located under Introduction.

Sep 16th, '12, 23:20

by Chip » Sep 16th, '12, 23:20

Please check your forum messages or your email.

Thank you,
Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate

Sep 17th, '12, 00:19

by riccaicedo » Sep 17th, '12, 00:19

Sorry about that, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to post links right from the start.
I was just trying to help, my site is informational only and a lot of people thanked me for my post about making genmaicha at home. Not trying to sell anything here, I'm not a tea vendor.

Sep 17th, '12, 14:59

by teaisme » Sep 17th, '12, 14:59

riccaicedo wrote:Genmaicha isn't made with brown rice, it just looks that way after roasting. Traditionally, it was made with mochi rice, now normal Japanese white rice is used.
being on teachat constantly reminds me that there are very rarely any concrete answers, life is simply more complicated then we often give it credit for

Here is an example of a variety of genmaicha made with brown rice (at least according to the vendor).

http://www.yuuki-cha.com/organic-genmai ... e80a7ed5ef

+ Post Reply