New Business Advice

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

New Business Advice

Postby AKTea » Jan 12th, '09, 18:44

Hello!

This is my very first post and I'm here to ask for any advice on starting a tea business.

I currently own a small business (a scuba shop of all things!) and I'd like to slowly turn management of it over to an employee while I start a business in what I really love- tea! I've been dreaming of opening a tea shop for years. Rather than a full fledged shop I'm thinking of starting a home based business. Hopefully some day it will become a shop!

I'm in the very first stages of figuring start-up costs and I wonder if anyone has any idea what I might expect to spend on a start-up inventory of tea. I'm thinking I'd want at least 30 types (though if anyone thinks is too much or too little, please say so). About how much of each would be good to start with? I'd plan on having some basic accessories as well. I just need a number to get started with.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a scale? I know it needs to be legal for trade but wonder if there's a certain type I should look for.

I've been looking over the World Tea Expo for distributors and wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

I figure even if the business flops, what am I stuck with? A bunch of tea. Is that ever a bad thing?!!! Thanks for your help.
AKTea

Postby Chip » Jan 13th, '09, 19:40

There are many distributors, one being our forum's host, Adagio. Contact cynthea@adagio.com .

And no, I am not an employee of Adagio. :D
Chip
Mod/Admin

Instant Messenger

Permissions