Another new initiate to the cult of tea

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jan 14th, '09, 16:35

Another new initiate to the cult of tea

by Harb » Jan 14th, '09, 16:35

So I suppose I'm the newest in a long line of unsuspecting newbies who slipped up once and thought "Hey, let's try a cup of this 'tea' stuff", only to become an addict to this fantastic beverage/hobby :D

A little about me: I'm a 3rd year student at The Ohio State University, currently going after my Finance degree and working part-time in the food service industry (kitchen steward during school, meat department worker and kitchen assistant in a gourmet grocery store at home on breaks). I've always been the kind of person to center his life around various hobbies and past times, and it's only getting worse as I get older :D Computers and basically the entire world of techno-gadgetry have been long-standing staples for me, and since college I've undertaken several new ventures. Most noteworthy is motorcycling; it took about a month from me first "noticing" motorcycles to take the MSF course, get my lisence, and buy my first bike. Riding now more or less dominates my free time, thoughts, and budget, although my nerdy side hasn't diminished in the least. I've also taken quite a liking to food and cooking recently, not entirely uninspired by my 3+ years working in one higher-end grocery store/restaurant or another.

My geek background and relatively newly found love for food, flavors, and cooking are what brought me to tea. I've been a longstanding viewer of Diggnation, a weekly internet show focusing on all things techie that happens to be sponsored on occasion by Adagio. Diggnation is what first made me aware of Adagio, but wasn't until a night of heavy drinking (well, the aftermath of it...) that really made me consider dabbling in tea. New Years 2009 was a bit of a wild night, and I was all but dead to the world the next morning with a throbbing headache and raging upset stomach ache. My friend whose house I was staying at gave me a small cup of a very tasty peach oolong, and it did wonders for my physical condition. Immediately, I was intrigued by tea. I had tried the typical low-quality teabags you can buy at any grocery store out there and was wholly unimpressed, but everything about her tea had me interested: the unusually fantastic flavor, the authentic Japanese tea set it was served in, and of course the 'healing' effects imparted by the warm drink ;) I was immediately determined to find out more about this great beverage.

Recalling the praise Adagio had received from tea fanatic Kevin Rose on Diggnation, I decided to wander into the site and buy a few things. One green tea starter set and one Revision 3 sampler pack later, and I'm completely hooked (Adagio's phenomenally user and newbie-friendly site and great shipping helped too...I can't believe how easy it has been to get into this!)

I've been actively drinking tea for only about a week now, but I'm really loving the stuff so far. My first shipment of a handful of assorted green teas, as well as the huge variety of flavors made available by the Revision 3 sample pack, has really piqued my interests. I really can't get enough citron green, and I love unwinding at the end of the day with a cup of "Hippie Glenn"'s chamomile blend from the Rev3 pack. However, 5+ cups a day is really eating through my limted supply. I'm expecting another box of goodness come Friday, containing about every variety of tea under the sun. One each of the black, green, white, and oolong sample packs, as well as a sample of Jasmine #12 (it just looked too cool to pass up) and tins of chamomile and peach oolong should be arriving shortly and I absolutely can't wait :D

Aaaanyway, now that I've basically written an essay about myself, it's probably time to wrap this up and stop avoiding doing homework. I look forward to getting to know people here at TeaChat and venturing further into the world of tea :o

Jan 14th, '09, 16:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 14th, '09, 16:43

Hi Harb and thank you for sharing your experiences thus far with us. I look forward to many more experiences on your newly embarked TeaJourney.

Please stop by TeaDay and share what is in your cup.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 14th, '09, 17:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 14th, '09, 17:19

Welcome! I'm from Ohio, but I escaped the frozen tundra to live in sunny southern California where it is currently about 80 degrees. <sorry>

Nice to have you with us!

PS: Be careful with your bike on old route 33, those old bridges get icy.

Jan 14th, '09, 17:58

by hop_goblin » Jan 14th, '09, 17:58

Thanks you for sharing your experiences! Welcome!

Jan 14th, '09, 18:16

by Harb » Jan 14th, '09, 18:16

Victoria wrote:PS: Be careful with your bike on old route 33, those old bridges get icy.
Haha no worries, it's currently in hibernation. I love Ohio, except for the weather :( Winter is my time to try new things though, like tea :D

Jan 14th, '09, 21:24

by leiche » Jan 14th, '09, 21:24

Welcome!

Tea is a fantastic homework avoidance aid.

Jan 15th, '09, 04:00

by Trey Winston » Jan 15th, '09, 04:00

Looks like you have gotten a great start to your hobby.
Welcome :D
Trey

Jan 15th, '09, 11:39

by sheila77551 » Jan 15th, '09, 11:39

Welcome Harb!

Jan 15th, '09, 20:58

by Ron Gilmour » Jan 15th, '09, 20:58

Welcome, Harb! I'm also an academic and a bit of a tech geek. Tea does make winter easier. Let us know what you're drinking and post any questions you might have.

Jan 17th, '09, 12:20

by Shelob » Jan 17th, '09, 12:20

Harb, Welcome and thanks for sharing in your intro!
Now, share your tea with us...everyday 8)
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

+ Post Reply