chai

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Apr 4th, '06, 12:08

chai

by teatotaler » Apr 4th, '06, 12:08

Anyone make chai with all milk and no water? A friend of mine suggested this and wow, is it good. I use Adagio's decaf green spice. I heat the milk in the microwave until it bubbles up and then steep for 3 minutes. I also add a bit of sugar.

Apr 4th, '06, 13:55

by klemptor » Apr 4th, '06, 13:55

I don't make "chai" as most people think of it - I make Indian tea often, though, and I do use all milk when I do it. I use a pot, though, not the microwave.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Apr 5th, '06, 02:21

by LeilaLuv » Apr 5th, '06, 02:21

My husband is Pakistani, so the "chai" is most popular after dinner and in the mornings. My mother in law tought me how to make it so its authentic. She however, makes it from the gorund black tea, Im trying out the black leaves and see hwo it tastes. But I don know for sure 8 minutes wont do it.

Authentic indian tea is quite strong. The milk is added to make it creamy and smooth out the sharp edge. 1st you take Cinnamon,cloves,ginger, and pepper and grind them( you can leave them whole, but they are best ground and fresh). in a small pot you t Boil them with water(3cups) until you can see the water change in color(from the spices). after it boils, add the tea (with the stove off) let it sit for about 10 minutes,(by this time you should have a little over half the water you started out with) then add the milk(evaporated or half and half) and bring to a quick boil. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes, then serve =o) sweeten to taste.

Nothingout there tastes like the real stuff, take it from me. There is no short cut to it. No powder, mix, tea bag or anything that can make it taste right. We are all here cuz we love tea and love to taste the best most authentic flavors right? so Please dont use the regular gallon milk as it brings no justice to the wonderful flavor. Also try not to overpower with too much cinnamon or too much pepper, its not supposed to be "spicy" just perfectly blended.

I know that everyone has different taste buds. Im just telling you how to make it the right way. Since Ive been married Ive tasted alot of different "chai" cuz different women in the family make it. They all taste unique but have everything in common. I was lucky to have an authentic recipe passed down to me and Im more than happy to share!

Enjoy! if you have any questions let me kno!

For those of you who dont know:

Chai means "Tea" in Hindi and Urdu

Pakistani poeple speak Urdu, Inidans speak Hindi

Urdu and Hindi are spoken the same and written differently

Pakistan and India were once one country (thats why the pople dress similarly and eat very similar food)

srry I thought I should give some facts, It's nice to know the origin of the tea =o) and settle some known confusion
Last edited by LeilaLuv on Apr 5th, '06, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 5th, '06, 02:50

by LeilaLuv » Apr 5th, '06, 02:50

Oh and by the way, yo ucan find ground black tea (this is what is used in india and pakistan) at any indian store, use the brooke bonde brand red label. you need anywhere from 2-3 teaspoons for the recipe I gave.

Here where you can get some ( I get it at my local indian store)

http://www.indiaplaza.com/Grocery/pd.aspx?sku=190528

or just do your own search =o)

Apr 5th, '06, 13:50

by PlantFan » Apr 5th, '06, 13:50

1st you take Cinnamon,cloves,ginger, and pepper and grind them( you can leave them whole, but they are best ground and fresh)

what is the proper amount of each spice to use?
thanks, also, for the little factoids. very interesting!

PlantFan[/quote]

Apr 5th, '06, 14:00

by LeilaLuv » Apr 5th, '06, 14:00

for the amount of water that I suggested you take Half a stick of cinnamon, 4 pea sized pieces of ginger 3-6 cloves and 2-4 whole pepper.

Hope that helps! =o)

Apr 6th, '06, 11:21

by teatotaler » Apr 6th, '06, 11:21

I thought Chai had cardamon (sp?) in it as well. I guess every recipe is different. I like decaf green spiced from Adagio but I don't like Stash Tea's green chai.

When I have more time on the weekend, I will try the recipe above

Apr 6th, '06, 14:09

by LeilaLuv » Apr 6th, '06, 14:09

the cardamom is optional, I put cardamom in all of my teas. =o)

by gree chai, do you mean green tea with milk in it???

I personally dont think GT goes very well with milk. I tried it lol.

Apr 7th, '06, 08:28

by teatotaler » Apr 7th, '06, 08:28

Yes, I make chai with green tea. I like it. Everyone's tastes vary and that's ok by me.

Apr 7th, '06, 23:14

by peachaddict » Apr 7th, '06, 23:14

i prefer my green tea with milk in it. the authentic chai recipe sounds great! must try it.
"Oh, those are my subconscious thoughts. I shouldn't listen too hard if I were you. I'm not all that proud of some of them." - Doctor Who

Apr 8th, '06, 00:26

by Maurgen » Apr 8th, '06, 00:26

The only chai I've found that I like (so far, I still need to try Adagio's oriental spice tea) is Stash's organic - it's a mix of black and green tea. I think it tastes wonderful with a bit of milk. Plus the milk helps curb any bitterness that occurs when I brew it extra strong.

-Samantha

Oct 23rd, '06, 20:47

a pre-mixed chai I like..

by tenuki » Oct 23rd, '06, 20:47

Tao of Tea's 500 mile chai is fantastic if you prepare it the traditional way of boiling it in water for 5 minutes or so, then adding half and half to taste and bring up to temp. Then you strain it into your cup. Amazing!! leaves your tounge numb... ;) note of caution, I've had spotty sucess, one of the tins I bought was a bit weak, maybe due to age? If it doesn't make your tounge numb try another tin. heh.

Nov 8th, '06, 14:12

by tenuki » Nov 8th, '06, 14:12

btw, I tried the masala packets from my local indian store and really didn't care for it. here is another possible source for the spices from another thread, haven't tried it yet but on order.

http://www.janamtea.com/admin/shopping_ ... key=&id=26
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Nov 10th, '06, 04:24

Thanks!

by paranormal » Nov 10th, '06, 04:24

For the original chai precept! I've been looking for one for ages but havent been able to find any untill now! =)

Though i make my chai pretty diffrent than you, i have 50/50 water and milk boiled at the same time. I put in maby 4-6 spoons for a big batch of chai maby 2 liters. Then i boil it untill it starts foaming and then i put it down a bit so it shimmers only for 15-20 minutes.

I drank a lot of masala chai when i was in India and i loved the one they have on the trains! Also found some nice masala chai in palolem (south goa =). It was a great amazing taste but nothing i could compare to at home.

But i will try your recipe and hopefully i can manage to do something more like it =) But at the moment i have organic herbs from India and Sri Lanka that i bought from some very good friends at: http://www.fairtradeteas.com/catalog/pr ... de87b5f124
and thats a very nice mix. But then again you use fresh stuff that you grind yourself and dont mix the black tea from start. So it will taste diffrent but still worth it =)

Thank you again!

Feb 22nd, '07, 10:16

Tazo Teas are delish'!

by ladyk » Feb 22nd, '07, 10:16

The Tazo Chai teas are soooo good! Has anybody ever had that tea?

ladyk :wink:

+ Post Reply