Chai

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Apr 1st, '06, 22:56

Chai

by LeilaLuv » Apr 1st, '06, 22:56

Hello all,

I have a question about black tea. I make black tea on a regular basis, I married into a middle eastern family and the most popular tea there is what they call "Chai" which is just another word for tea. This is a mixture of preferred spices,tea and milk.

My question is, whick black tea should I use, Ive never used black tea leaves before, I use the ground stuff, and Im looking to use the leaves. I wouldn't want anything that would change the flavor/compromise the spices.

Any inut would be gladly appreciated! =o)

Apr 3rd, '06, 13:09

by Marlene » Apr 3rd, '06, 13:09

CTC assam is what is most often used in chai. Adagio doesn't carry it, but it is easy to get. Just head down to your local Indian or Middle Eastern market. They've got brooke bonde, taj mahal, and a few others. You can get it bagged or loose. Get the loose.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Apr 4th, '06, 17:42

by MarshalN » Apr 4th, '06, 17:42

I'd imagine any black tea that gives you a good body is good enough, with a bit of fragrance added in the mix. Much of the taste is derived from the other stuff anyway.

Apr 5th, '06, 02:38

by LeilaLuv » Apr 5th, '06, 02:38

Marlene, yeah thats what I use already lol. Brooke bonde is the best and most popular. I was looking to make it with fresh leaves and not the ground stuff....... I think Im just gonna get the oriental blend and see what I can do with it , if not Im gonna have to stick to my brook bonde. :)

+ Post Reply