Peacock of <whatever> - compression, overall quality ?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 19th, '09, 09:19

Peacock of <whatever> - compression, overall quality ?

by expatCanuck » Jan 19th, '09, 09:19

Greetings -

Any opinions / thoughts as to the Peacock series overall quality?

I've got the Mengsong & the Menghai. I find the tea good, but not brilliant. Adequate price/performance that way.

But I find the compression great enough that it's very difficult to remove a good swath of leaf. (I have yet to succeed.)

And both bings seem to have a core of dust.

Your mileage?

Jan 19th, '09, 09:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 19th, '09, 09:30

So far, I have had one session with each of my samples of the Bada, Mengsong, and Nannuo and found that they are very similar. I wasn't impressed, I am afraid. At their best they seemed light and creamy, with flavors ranging from sandalwood to bran; at their worst, harshly astringent and ordinary.

Jan 19th, '09, 13:58

by tony shlongini » Jan 19th, '09, 13:58

Bada Bing!

Jan 19th, '09, 15:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 19th, '09, 15:12

tony shlongini wrote: Bada Bing!
:lol: I knew there was something funny about that name, just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Jan 19th, '09, 17:41

by beecrofter » Jan 19th, '09, 17:41

Salsero wrote:So far, I have had one session with each of my samples of the Bada, Mengsong, and Nannuo and found that they are very similar. I wasn't impressed, I am afraid. At their best they seemed light and creamy, with flavors ranging from sandalwood to bran; at their worst, harshly astringent and ordinary.
I do not think I would tolerate a beeng with fannings packed/hidden in the middle I believe I would vote with my feet .

Jan 19th, '09, 23:30

by thanks » Jan 19th, '09, 23:30

I think they were all fairly indicative, and accurate examples of the distinct differences in the main mountain plantation teas for pu'er. I found myself struggling to describe each one individually as anything other than "this is what I'd expect from ____-shan tea."

Personally my favorite was the Nannuo. The Mengsong I found to be fairly disappointing, and the Menghai was of less interest to me than Menghai's regular yearly blends. I found the Bulang fairly decent, but seemed slightly "tweaked." The Bada was the most boring of all. Are there any others I'm forgetting?

+ Post Reply