keemun red tea

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jan 20th, '09, 11:57

keemun red tea

by yash » Jan 20th, '09, 11:57

can anybody please tell me how a keemun red tea from Anhui china is supposed to taste like i've got a couple but they dont match the taste which people tell me

Jan 20th, '09, 12:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 20th, '09, 12:38

Taste impressions are very subjective. What one taster notes another may not. Coupled with that, there are sooo many of them.

Some can be a bit smokey, but generally better ones are not. I used to drink Keemun everyday for years, first tea of the day, but it has been a few years since I have "actively" enjoyed it. I recall a sweetness along with intensity. Some had a nutty background and others were even a bit floral.

I know this does not help much.

Anyway, welcome to TeaChat.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 20th, '09, 13:13

by olivierco » Jan 20th, '09, 13:13

If it tastes good, you brewed it right.

A Chip wrote, they are many kinds of keemun.

Jan 20th, '09, 13:22

by Victoria » Jan 20th, '09, 13:22

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You should definitely be getting a chocolately or cocoa note. It should be very smooth with maybe a hint of smokiness. What were you expecting?

Jan 21st, '09, 20:28

by sheila77551 » Jan 21st, '09, 20:28

Welcome yash !

Jan 22nd, '09, 00:01

keemun red tea

by yash » Jan 22nd, '09, 00:01

thanks a lot guys for helping out, and thanks a lot for the warm welcoming. my dilemma is i got five samples of keemun which i need to give to friend of mine ive given him all the samples but he is not satisfied with any of them, ive been drinking it myself for a better understanding, the best one i have has a peachy and a little smoky flavour, which he thinks keemun shouldnt taste like, he thinks the keemun ive sent him tastes more like Formosan wulong, i was wondering if you guys have come across a keemun which tasted like that ?

Jan 22nd, '09, 15:02

by Shelob » Jan 22nd, '09, 15:02

I know this is a little late,
but WELCOME to our forum 8)

I am a 'greenie' however, I have had Keemun Concerto from our host Adagio. I enjoyed it, however did not notice flavors as you described. :(

Oh and share with us what's in your cuppa in TeaDay.
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

Jan 22nd, '09, 17:30

Re: keemun red tea

by Chip » Jan 22nd, '09, 17:30

yash wrote:thanks a lot guys for helping out, and thanks a lot for the warm welcoming. my dilemma is i got five samples of keemun which i need to give to friend of mine ive given him all the samples but he is not satisfied with any of them, ive been drinking it myself for a better understanding, the best one i have has a peachy and a little smoky flavour, which he thinks keemun shouldnt taste like, he thinks the keemun ive sent him tastes more like Formosan wulong, i was wondering if you guys have come across a keemun which tasted like that ?
Yes, but it was a blend I had years ago. Republic of Tea's All Day Breakfast which consisted of Keemun and I believe Formosa Oolong. I enjoyed it, actually. It had the dominant keemun taste with a peachy oolong background.

It would be unusual for a Keemun to taste peachy on its own, but there are so many, anything is possible.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 22nd, '09, 22:19

keemun red tea

by yash » Jan 22nd, '09, 22:19

thanks a lot guys you've been the most helpful, i love this forum coz people actually give a shit about your questions or opinions and thanks again.

the other keemun i have are like a little fruity and all of them share the little smokey background the brew is topaz i normally throw away the first lot of water after about 5 mins of steeping coz ive seen chinese people do that, hope im right. its been a month ive been looking for the tase like chip and victoria has described above with nutty and chocolaty background but didn't have any luck yet

+ Post Reply