Journeys with tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jun 8th, '05, 18:35
Mod/Admin

Journeys with tea

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:35

The topic of this discussion is on documenting your tea experiences around the world.... no passports required!

Please let us know your interesting stories and opinions on tea during your travels.

Chris

Jun 8th, '05, 18:35
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:35

Travelling - making tea away from home

I often get frustrated by the care many places (hotels, inns, etc.) take to provide coffee machines and accessories yet leave me to tea-related option. So, I am looking for something I can pack along on various trips to enjoy tea in my room. Ideally I can find something that will serve to both heat the water to the correct temperature and also brew the tea once the water is heated (to avoid packing too much). Then I can just pack along my tea, cup, and any sugar etc.

So - does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at electric teakettles but am not sure how actually brewing in one of these would turn out. Perhaps there are also some other ideas I have not considered. Any help would be appreciated!

Colleen

Jun 8th, '05, 18:36
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:36

I've run into the same problem, as most of us tea lovers have. I always keep a baggie with tea bags and sugar packets in my glove compartment - anything in a pinch. But have you tried the cup heating elements you can buy at travel or camping gear stores? It's small and serves the purpose of heating the water quickly. It's just a cord with a twisted element at the end and a rubber grip that you immerse in the water. Now what I'm trying to find is a travel teapot. I rarely have one cup of tea at a time - more the continuous cup all day long. (I'm hopeless, I know.)

Safe Travels!

Push1957

Mod/Admin

Thanks for the post.

Speak up! Hotels and restaurants don't know that they're not completely pleasing you unless you tell them.... tea lovers, unite!

Cheers,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Mod/Admin

I am looking for a heating element that you can put in a cup filled with water, plug to electrical wall outlet in order to make cup of tea.
Does anybody have an idea as to where to buy it?

Thanks

Felix Abrams

Mod/Admin

Felix--

Thanks for the post.

While Adagio does not offer this (it sounds like severe electricution waiting to happen), we do have something similar, an electric water kettle. Even better, this amazing kettle has the ability to change water temperature (doesn't just heat to boiling).

Here is the link:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/utiliTEA_kettle.html

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Jun 8th, '05, 18:37
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:37

You can buy an item like that in the travel stores. It's a metal coil that you can plug in and wait for the water to boil. It boils about a few minutes.

Ylee

Jun 8th, '05, 18:37
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:37

Hi :D
Whenever my husband and I travel we always bring along tea. In the past we have made do with water heated in the in-room coffee pot and herbal tea bags (as they are relatively forgiving). Now we bring along our electric kettle. It is just a simple one, but it is very useful when traveling. We use the little spoon infusers to make tea by the mug. (The water boils in 3 minutes so there isn't a long wait) We also bring fruit and packets of instant oatmeal for breakfast, and dehydrated soups for lunch. That way we can afford to eat a really good meal out in the evening.

I've also found that Adagio's sample tins are the perfect size for the purse. Keep one in a baggie along with a spoon infuser or some of the disposable paper filters. That way when you go to a restaurant you can actually have "good" tea. (I've found most places are willing to give you a mug and unlimited hot water for minimal cost)

Best wishes,
Stephenie

Jun 8th, '05, 18:38
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:38

Hi:D
I forgot to mention. The ingenuiTEA is awesome. I bring mine with me whenever I go to a friend's or family member's house. I also pack small plastic baggies with enough tea for a few pots. Everyone is happy to see how the ingenuiTEA works and taste Adagio's wonderful tea.

Next time we go on a trip, it is coming too!

Best wishes,
Stephenie

Jun 8th, '05, 18:38
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 18:38

An English man in New York

I will be in New York from the 24th of June until the 27th and am wondering where I might find a decent cup of tea, living in Sri Lanka for more than three years I have a taste for the finer green tipped verities of broken orange peko. Though as a native of the British Isles I still allow my self the adulteration of milk.
As an after thought I am aware of a continuing thread in reference to Indian Chia witch I have found to be the excepted term for tea all over the subcontinent, properly due to the extensive network of railway hawkers whose call of “Chia Chia” is ubiquitous and universal,

Stephen Woodhead

+ Post Reply