My tea is weak! =o(

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 4th, '06, 17:52

My tea is weak! =o(

by LeilaLuv » Apr 4th, '06, 17:52

Hey there,

I've been drinking green tea for a while now. It was fresh green tea from the middle east, my Mother in law brought it here. Anyway........I ran into this site and discovered all the different varieties of greet tea, but I also realized I was brewing it wrong.

I never did have aproblem with the taste, I loved it actually. I did know when I over did it, it was bitter, so I learned the hard way.

ANYWAY........Im doing the new 180 degrees for 3 minutes, and its just too weak. All I taste is water really, nothing compared to how I used to drink it a few days ago.

I really need some advice with the brewing, I know everyone has different taste buds, I prefer strong everything, so what should I do??

Apr 4th, '06, 20:29

by Warden Andy » Apr 4th, '06, 20:29

If you actually like it more brewing it your previous way, keep brewing it like that. As long as you like it, then why should you not brew it like that?

Boiling water does work for some green teas. You just have to be more careful brewing because it's a lot easier to cook the leaves.
Last edited by Warden Andy on Oct 31st, '06, 14:31, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 6th, '06, 23:48

by javyn » Apr 6th, '06, 23:48

I second the gaiwan. I don't care for green tea, but do my whites in one. It really does make a difference versus a basket or teaball. If there is an asian grocery near you, they might have them cheap. I got mine for about 4 bucks.

I have tried gunpowder and sencha, and still have yet to find a green tea I think I might like :\
John

Apr 7th, '06, 19:10

by kodama » Apr 7th, '06, 19:10

White Monkey (really green!) is a superb example. You need a clear palatte and sinuses to tell what you are drinking, but it is one of my favorite flavors.

May 31st, '06, 16:42

Re: My tea is weak! =o(

by hop_goblin » May 31st, '06, 16:42

Hey don't sweat it. If you like it the way you were brewing it, then drink it. However, green teas do have a lighter flavor than others (exeption white). You probably have become accustomed to drinking it that way and now have conditioned your tastebuds (and your mind). What you were probably tasting were the tannins from the tea which have an attringency taste. Green and white teas are great because the lighter flavors allow a person to taste the nuances from tea to tea. But just like wine, some like more tannins, and some like less. The point is just drink what you like. Its all about you anyways right? Enjoy!

LeilaLuv wrote:Hey there,

I've been drinking green tea for a while now. It was fresh green tea from the middle east, my Mother in law brought it here. Anyway........I ran into this site and discovered all the different varieties of greet tea, but I also realized I was brewing it wrong.

I never did have aproblem with the taste, I loved it actually. I did know when I over did it, it was bitter, so I learned the hard way.

ANYWAY........Im doing the new 180 degrees for 3 minutes, and its just too weak. All I taste is water really, nothing compared to how I used to drink it a few days ago.

I really need some advice with the brewing, I know everyone has different taste buds, I prefer strong everything, so what should I do??

May 31st, '06, 23:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 31st, '06, 23:25

LeilaLuv, the variables that we do not know is how much tea are you using and what type of green tea.

Many green teas require 2-4 teaspoons per 6 oz. water. I use a scale for greens because I find they are tempermental, but so rewarding when you finally get it right. The general prescribed weight per 6 0z water is 2.3-3 grams but some require much more than that to coax the flavor and aroma out of the leaves, Mao Feng greens require at least 4 grams in my experience.

Anyway, if you want to go that route, here is a great link for great scales.

http://www.rightonscales.com/web/120z.htm

Don't give up, greens rule!!! Long Jing, aka Dragon Well is a pretty forgiving green tea.

Jun 27th, '06, 06:40

by JamesBeach » Jun 27th, '06, 06:40

Have a few spoonfulls of a lemon-flavored sorbet. Just in case, sorbet is a lightly flavored crushed ice treat that should be available near the ice cream in most supermarkets. The fact that it's ice will clean the mouth and the light flavor will cover up whatever flavors are already in your mouth while causing your mouth to water. Cleanses the palette.

Works for me, anyway.

+ Post Reply