Genmai Cha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 5th, '06, 16:01

Genmai Cha

by Jazz » Apr 5th, '06, 16:01

I just noticed that this tea is no longer available (except for the sample). Is this one going to be discontinued? I just tried it today, and liked it enough to order a larger size. I was just wondering if Adagio will be restocking it at all in the future?

Thanks.
Sweet summer rain comes
rendering a cool fresh scent...
mind is rendered clear

Apr 5th, '06, 17:22

by Kestrel » Apr 5th, '06, 17:22

That just means that they're out of stock on the larger sizes. They'll get more sooner or later.

I used to have the same thing happen when I went to order Yunnan Gold. I never could seem to try to order it when they actually had anything but the sample tins. But I haven't had a problem getting Yunnan Gold in the last 6 months. Yay Adagio!

If you ask, Ilya or Richard or Emily might be able to tell you when they're getting another batch.

Apr 5th, '06, 17:45

by Carnelian » Apr 5th, '06, 17:45

Actually it does seem a little worrysome since there is no notify me link. They even have one on blood orange though the samples are still available
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Apr 5th, '06, 19:24

by Warden Andy » Apr 5th, '06, 19:24

Another green tea down. It would be nice to see Adagio carry more greens.

I just tried loose leaf genmai-cha today (I've tried it bagged before). I have a hard time believing that it's actually a popular green tea. I guess I just still don't like flavored teas. However, it seemed to be good for waking up in the morning, so I'm definately going to use up the rest of it.

Apr 5th, '06, 22:53

by TeaFanatic » Apr 5th, '06, 22:53

Well I'm glad that genmaicha is not anywhere near one of my favorite greens. I can't imagine though that adagio would get rid of it, but perhaps it wasn't selling well?
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Apr 5th, '06, 23:25

by kodama » Apr 5th, '06, 23:25

I don't mind it - it is good with a small snack, but on its own it is too strong and sour for me.

It is extremely cheep at any Jpn market though if you want some. I could send you some from SF for ~$3 plus shipping for about 200g of decent Gemmai.

Apr 6th, '06, 00:05
Adagio

No need to worry

by ilya » Apr 6th, '06, 00:05

No need to worry folks. We will continue to carry genmai cha tea when it becomes available. We ran out of the 2005 crop and should be getting the new season in a few months.

Apr 6th, '06, 00:13

by MarshalN » Apr 6th, '06, 00:13

Yeah, I can't imagine this tea running out. There are plenty of providers who can sell to Adagio.

Apr 6th, '06, 00:21
Adagio

genmai cha

by ilya » Apr 6th, '06, 00:21

We purchase all of our teas directly from source. Although you are correct that there are many wholesalers who can supply us with genmai cha, we have not found any that we like. We would rather lose a few months of potential sales than sell our customers an inferior tea and lose them for life.

Apr 6th, '06, 02:29

by Kestrel » Apr 6th, '06, 02:29

That's one of the things that makes Adagio so great - there's no questions of "will this be a good batch or a bad one". They always have good tea, and it's very consistent.

It does make for sadness when they're out of your favorite tea, but at least you know that they'll have it again, and that it'll still be the tea you love.

I'd take Adagio's consistency over a tea company that always has stock but it's never the same anyday.

Apr 7th, '06, 11:54

by eliw23 » Apr 7th, '06, 11:54

I just realized this isn't available at the moment. :( I recently got 2oz from Teavana but I wanted to try Adagio's and compare. I guess I'll have to add this to my order down the road along with the 32oz IngenuiTea whenever that'll be available.

kodama - what are some good places in SF that have good genmai cha? My brother lives there. Maybe I'll have him send me some. He's given me some teas from Imperial Tea. I'm about a hours away from Chinatown in NY so maybe I'll have to checkout some tea houses there.

Apr 7th, '06, 19:08

by kodama » Apr 7th, '06, 19:08

Imperial tea is good, but since it is considered low-grade tea anyway, any decent brand can do it well.

Nijiya (and one or to similar stores) in Japantown carry Yamamoto Yama and Itoen (both good) bags in the $3/200g range.

+ Post Reply