Jan 20th, '09, 19:57

Tea and nausea?

by Love4TheLeaf » Jan 20th, '09, 19:57

Does anyone else have the problem that certain types of tea will cause you to become nauseated after drinking about half a cup? For me, this doesn't happen with all tea but tends to happen more with black teas. It usually helps if I put milk in the tea but I don't like my tea with milk.

I've had this reaction with PG Tips and Harney's Imperial Earl Grey so far. Which is a real shame on the Harney's because I really like it.

Jan 21st, '09, 10:09

by auggy » Jan 21st, '09, 10:09

I rarely get that type of reaction with tea, but I can't drink coffee because of it. For me it has to do with the amount of caffeine - the few times I've felt queasy after drinking tea, it was a strong brewed black. Excedrin Migraine also does it to me. :?

Jan 21st, '09, 16:16

by Consilium » Jan 21st, '09, 16:16

I don't know if this is your particular problem, but it's widely accepted that drinking tea on an empty stomach will make you nauseous. The fact that the addition of milk alleviates these symptoms makes me feel this is perhaps your problem. Milk contains fats, proteins, and calories among other things - so not only tea is entering the stomach. The milk may be providing an alternative mechanism for you to safely digest the tea with nutrients present. Try eating a bagel or something before your next cup of black tea - like right before, not an hour before.
Excedrin Migraine also does it to me
Interesting auggy, especially seeing how Excedrin Migraine contains 65 mg of caffeine in each pill - or maybe that's why you mentioned it in the first place. The caffeine is supposedly present to increase the pharmicokinetics of the pain reliever, however it's my personal opinion that it's there for people experiencing caffeine withdrawal headaches - something too few people are aware they are susceptible to. I could see how your caffeine sensitivity interacts the way it does with this medication.

Jan 21st, '09, 20:44

by auggy » Jan 21st, '09, 20:44

Consilium wrote:
Excedrin Migraine also does it to me
Interesting auggy, especially seeing how Excedrin Migraine contains 65 mg of caffeine in each pill - or maybe that's why you mentioned it in the first place. The caffeine is supposedly present to increase the pharmicokinetics of the pain reliever, however it's my personal opinion that it's there for people experiencing caffeine withdrawal headaches - something too few people are aware they are susceptible to. I could see how your caffeine sensitivity interacts the way it does with this medication.
Yep, that's why I mentioned it. Many years ago, I used to be one of those people that would get withdrawl headaches. I went decaf for about 6 years (maybe 2 caffeinated drinks a year). A few years ago I started back with light caffeine consumption for, at the time, medical reasons. That's when I first started getting nauseous after drinking something with lots of caffeine. Just one of life's little quirks, I suppose! :)

Jan 21st, '09, 21:00
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Jan 21st, '09, 21:00

Pretty much any tea or coffee beverage will make me nauseous if consumed on an empty stomach. But even as little as a couple of saltines is enough to fix the problem, as a rule.

Jan 26th, '09, 03:29

by Love4TheLeaf » Jan 26th, '09, 03:29

Thanks for the responses. It's interesting that it only happens to me with certain teas. I'm currently working my way through a tin of Rishi's Keemun and I'm having no problems with it. But half a cup of the Harney Imperial Earl Grey and I feel like I need to lay down.

I don't think it's the caffeine because I can take 3 Excedrin tablets (If I need to) with no issues.

Jan 27th, '09, 12:58

by Bubba_tea » Jan 27th, '09, 12:58

Is that excedrin migraine? How long are you steeping the tea? That oil of bergamont in Earl Gray can be quite potent. Kam's funalliance website mentioned something about not drinking pu 'er on an empty stomach as it was good to help break down fats and if you don't have anything in your stomach, you can get ill.
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Jan 31st, '09, 10:54

by Love4TheLeaf » Jan 31st, '09, 10:54

Yes. It's Excedrin Migraine. I've always had bad headaches about once a week and the Excedrin is the only thing that seems to help. I've been steeping these Harney Sachets for about 3 1/2 minutes. It says to go for 5 minutes on the tin but I don't really think that's necessary for a black tea. Is it? Am I still possibly steeping it for too long?

Feb 2nd, '09, 22:32

by Bubba_tea » Feb 2nd, '09, 22:32

Sorry - didn't see your reply earlier - 65mg of caffeine in 1 EM. FWIW I would advise to stop all tea / coffee / caffeinated sodas for a week or two and see if that helps.
請进,請坐,請喝茶!!!

Feb 8th, '09, 20:07

by The Mad Hatter » Feb 8th, '09, 20:07

I also have had this problem with red (Oolong, earl grey, etc) and black teas (Pu-erh for example) for many years - but only when brewed over-long. As a caffeine addict and drinker of strong coffee, I am certain that in my case it has nothing to do with caffeine sensitivity. Green/white teas over-brewed do not produce the same effect. There must be something in the more highly oxidised/fermented teas (I assumed it was tannins) which is released when over-steeped. It may be linked to an empty stomach link, I'm not sure - something I will investigate further.

Feb 9th, '09, 01:29

by raveme » Feb 9th, '09, 01:29

:arrow: over the counter cannabis... that would be nice :)

Feb 11th, '09, 12:15

by Susana » Feb 11th, '09, 12:15

Yes, ginger! Peppermint and hibiscus are also great for nausea as they help cool the stomach. Those two were my medicine growing up.

There are also pressure points on the wrist that can alleviate that. Has anyone ever seen those anti-nausea bracelets? I think they are modeled after those pressure points.

I noticed someone talked about adding milk to tea. I read a study that stated that the intake of milk with tea inhibits some of the beneficial health aspects of tea. I know this is off subject, but any thoughts?

Feb 11th, '09, 19:21

Tea and Nausea

by Juliette83 » Feb 11th, '09, 19:21

Hello. It took awhile to find something on tea causing nausea. Everything I pulled up was about how tea helps prevent nausea heh. I have receently (as in I started about 3 months ago) drinking tea on a more regular basis. I drink herbal and green teas. I tend to avoid black just because I don't like the taste of them. As I was reading the posts, I noticed a bit about caffiene and drinking on an empty stomach. I never drink tea on an empty stomach nor do I drink tea with caffeine in it. I can't seem to figure out why it keeps making me nauseous. I don't over steep it either- I hate things to be too hot but I make sure it does its thing. I don't put much sugar, if any, in it- does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I really don't want to stop drinking my yummy tea but I am *sick* of getting *sick* from drinking them = (

+ Post Reply