Romancing the Dream

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 18th, '09, 16:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 18th, '09, 16:54

Herb_Master wrote:Does anyone else store tea in the refrigerator ?
Is this only when a vacuum sealed bag has been opened ?
I store only unopened, vacuum sealed bags in the refrigerator. Once they are open, I worry about moisture condensing on the tea.

Jan 18th, '09, 17:42

by Chip » Jan 18th, '09, 17:42

I do recommend storing unopened vacuum sealed bags of greens and greener oolong in the fridge.

I never recommend storing it once opened in the fridge, but I do it with a lot of precautions, and just mostly Japanese greens. The tea is in at least 2 nesting airtight double lidded tins. I do this usually only for reserve of teas that I have another tin left out for everyday use.

I take the reserve out of the fridge several hours before opening and do not do this repeatedly, once the reserve tin is taken out of the fridge, it is left out for daily use.

Jan 18th, '09, 18:04

by PolyhymnianMuse » Jan 18th, '09, 18:04

Chip wrote:I do recommend storing unopened vacuum sealed bags of greens and greener oolong in the fridge.

I never recommend storing it once opened in the fridge, but I do it with a lot of precautions, and just mostly Japanese greens. The tea is in at least 2 nesting airtight double lidded tins. I do this usually only for reserve of teas that I have another tin left out for everyday use.

I take the reserve out of the fridge several hours before opening and do not do this repeatedly, once the reserve tin is taken out of the fridge, it is left out for daily use.
I've alway wondered about putting the upopened bags of tea in the fridge. I have done it when I have more bags of tea then I know I will drink in a certain amount of time, but I'm curious about once your ready to open a bag that has been in the fridge... do you want to let it warm up to room temperature before opening and using?

Jan 18th, '09, 18:22

by Herb_Master » Jan 18th, '09, 18:22

:( So all the unopened Green Tea that I Have lying around in dark cupboards is fading fast ?
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 19th, '09, 01:15
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 19th, '09, 01:15

Herb_Master wrote::( So all the unopened Green Tea that I Have lying around in dark cupboards is fading fast ?
Most should be ok :D Dry, dark, cool, cupboard (better not glass door), half year is ok for most. Steam green tea (like sencha) has shorter shelf life. But the safest way is to finish it fast :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 19th, '09, 01:34

by Chip » Jan 19th, '09, 01:34

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I've alway wondered about putting the upopened bags of tea in the fridge. I have done it when I have more bags of tea then I know I will drink in a certain amount of time, but I'm curious about once your ready to open a bag that has been in the fridge... do you want to let it warm up to room temperature before opening and using?
Absolutely! This is critical. Opening the tea when it is cold will certainly invite condensation.
Herb_Master wrote::( So all the unopened Green Tea that I Have lying around in dark cupboards is fading fast ?
Even Chinese store their tea in cold storage. If you can, do. Otherwise enjoy the greens asap.

Jan 19th, '09, 16:10
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 19th, '09, 16:10

Herb_Master wrote:
Chip wrote:... ooooooooo ... I thought I smelled Asian tins in the Oolong forum, sweet. (FYI, Herb_Master, my adoration of Asian tea tins is well documented on TeaChat).

If you tire of them, we could work out a deal.

I hope you enjoy the tea :!:
Chip, you will be demise, I am already collecting enough
I already have a large collection of Yixing teapots
a substantial haul of tiny cups, and faircups
an ever growing collection of Gaiwans
and 20 caddies and still growing [I just had to add the 2 Cranes that you alerted me to!]
I only have one Kyusu but if you keep posting pictures such as the Bizen Yohen
I would need several more :P

If I won the lottery
I would need to buy this one which I have fallen in love with
http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/t ... kyusu.html

and a selection of Royal Selangor pewter including Four Seasons and Four Gentlemen Tea Caddies
http://www.royalselangor.com/rs2/produc ... ctionID=87

And now you are tempting me to start collecting Tins

and what about the Tea Canisters that the tea comes in like my Malaysian bought TKY

FYI-Anxi TGY is one of the most expensive oolong on the market as of 2006. This box of TGY I've got as a gift in 2006 cost nearly $2000 US/pound. came in 7g vacuum pallets.

They stored the pallets in wine-cellar-like fridge, before packing.

Jan 19th, '09, 17:22

Re: Romancing the Dream

by battra » Jan 19th, '09, 17:22

Herb_Master wrote:As the proliferation of online tea sites shows, and the rapidly growing number of increasingly educated members on Tea forums - the demand for quality oolong is increasing.
I don't know what the market statistics are showing but surely the cost of quality Oolong is likely to increase.
There is a recent topic in the "White Tea" subforum where this is also discussed! I think there is no reason to worry for the moment!
I don't have any statistics either, but I think it is safe to say that the demand for high quality oolong from Europe and America is just a drop in the sea compared to the demand from China, Taiwan and other asian countries, and could be doubled and doubled again without really being noticed in the tea market!
But if the general public in the West started to develop a taste for yancha it could surely be dangerous, so I guess it's best to be careful...

Jan 19th, '09, 17:32

by Herb_Master » Jan 19th, '09, 17:32

TIM wrote:
FYI-Anxi TGY is one of the most expensive oolong on the market as of 2006. This box of TGY I've got as a gift in 2006 cost nearly $2000 US/pound. came in 7g vacuum pallets.

They stored the pallets in wine-cellar-like fridge, before packing.
Very attractive, the tea table fun was included? Does it live with the teabox or come out for guest appearances on the tea table ?

I am sure Chip must be collecting these!

Jan 19th, '09, 18:18

by PolyhymnianMuse » Jan 19th, '09, 18:18

Chip wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I've alway wondered about putting the upopened bags of tea in the fridge. I have done it when I have more bags of tea then I know I will drink in a certain amount of time, but I'm curious about once your ready to open a bag that has been in the fridge... do you want to let it warm up to room temperature before opening and using?
Absolutely! This is critical. Opening the tea when it is cold will certainly invite condensation.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Chip :) I'll deff make sure that I do that from now on.

Jan 29th, '09, 01:54

by Oni » Jan 29th, '09, 01:54

Herb Master, how was the tea from Rich Barbarian, I am interested, because the price was attractive, but how is the quality match up to the others on the market, is it really as good as Jade TGY from teaspring?

Jan 29th, '09, 17:48

by Herb_Master » Jan 29th, '09, 17:48

Oni wrote:Herb Master, how was the tea from Rich Barbarian, I am interested, because the price was attractive, but how is the quality match up to the others on the market, is it really as good as Jade TGY from teaspring?
I am going to try the 2 Rich Barbarian TGY over the next 3 days, I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

I launched into several other TKY that I have to form a base to compare the RB ones to - then went down with a Virus for a few days. I still drank tea, but was not feeling up to taking decent notes, not even mental ones.

I seem to be recovering now.
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jan 29th, '09, 21:35

by Herb_Master » Jan 29th, '09, 21:35

Oni wrote:Herb Master, how was the tea from Rich Barbarian, I am interested, because the price was attractive, but how is the quality match up to the others on the market, is it really as good as Jade TGY from teaspring?
I tried the Supreme + late this night / early morning and I like it a lot - I shall post details shortly.

Whilst waiting for the photos to upload - I may note that 2 more sources have come to my attention.

1. The Wan Ling teahouse in Shanghai is run by a young lady from one of Anxi's most prestigious TKY villages, and an Englishman is now running a european branch outlet selling her tea in Europe. It is a small concern just starting to get off the ground but James who runs it is keen to learn from tea enthusiasts how he should develop it and which teas to retail in europe. Currently his oolongs are exclusively the TKY from Wan Lings birth village.

2. I posted some TKY photos on Flickr and a Chinese Flickr member has offered to make high quality authentic TKY - I have declined for the time being.

Come the Spring pick I am likely to sample the Wan Ling TKY not sure what to do about the random flickr offer!

Jan 29th, '09, 22:15
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 29th, '09, 22:15

Herb_Master wrote: 2. I posted some TKY photos on Flickr and a Chinese Flickr member has offered to make high quality authentic TKY - I have declined for the time being.

Come the Spring pick I am likely to sample the Wan Ling TKY not sure what to do about the random flickr offer!
I found this amusing :D If you like the person, you may try it out. But don't think too much of it if you don't know the person at all. There are 1.4 billion people in China, and by proportion, lots of tea salesmen. You could bump into a few every day :P

Looking forward to see your TGY pics. :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 29th, '09, 22:25

by Salsero » Jan 29th, '09, 22:25

gingko wrote: There are 1.4 billion people in China, and by proportion, lots of tea salesmen. You could bump into a few every day

Sometimes you say the funniest things!

+ Post Reply